Post subject: Mistake of all miskes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:43 pm 

My agent retired last month,

Anyways, I was in a rush to send a partial off to another. My query letter was written from a couple of yrs. ago and what I did was copy and paste the new agents address. Of course, I deleted the old address on it.

But here's the kicker, where it said Dear Ms. so and so, I forgot to take that name out and put in the new agent's name.

Most likely, she'll think I sent it to mutiple agents, but I didn't! So I can see it being reject real quick.

I can't believe I made such a slip-up :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:56 am 

Hi Angelique, With a little luck, he or she will read right past the salutation . . . We're all human, and computers can really show that off!

[color=#0000FF][i]Victoria Bylin
Wyoming Lawman, LIH, Oct 2010
The Outlaw's Return, LIH, Feb 2011
The Maverick Preacher, RT Reviewers Choice Finalist!!!
[url]www.victoriabylin.com[/url]
[url]www.petticoatsandpistols.com[/url][/i][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:10 pm 

Thanks Vicki,

I really hope so.

I still can't believe the blunder I made. I wouldn't even have noticed it, but I saw the copy of it sitting on my desk when I got up in the morning and it hit me. I quickly checked it, hoping my suspension were wrong. But it wasn't, the mistake glared back at me and all I could think of was the copy that was mailed.

I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever get published.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:45 pm 

Oh Angelique! {{Big Hug}}

Let's keep our fingers crossed that new agent doesn't notice, or if they do, they recognize old agent's name and are aware of the retirement and are forgiving.

Maybe it happened for a reason. Maybe things wouldn't have clicked with this one anyway.

Fingers crossed. Let us know what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:50 pm 

Thanks Tracy, I'll be sure to share their response. I'm still shaking my head over it.

Post subject: uh...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:26 am 

agents hate that, it shows that you've submitted before, been rejected, and didn't er...care enough to edit your work before submitting to them. If I got a letter addressed to me, and it had the name of my counterpart in the company across the street, sorry...but I'd just chuck it. Maybe you should start thinking of your next query. Multiple submissions are ok, as long as if you get a request you let them know if someone else is looking at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:05 am 

Hi Angelique,
I doubt an agent would toss aside your correspondence just because the name on the letter is wrong---they'd be too afraid that they'd be ignoring the next Nora Roberts. And if they are so stiff-necked as to not to realize that everyone makes mistakes and the agent doesn't read any farther than your salutation, then it's a good thing he/she will reject your ms because you wouldn't want to work with a snot anyway. :wink: