Post subject: Stutters - Mute - Speech Impediment
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 am 

Stutter - Stutters - Stuttering - Speech Impediment - Mute

Hi Everyone,

Last Update: 11-23-14

======

Medieval

Maguire, Margo -- Celtic Bride (HH 572 - 8/01) -- Celtic/Medieval -- The warrior Marcus de Grant was shy and always stuttered when he spoke to beautiful women, but when he found out that the heroine had "the gift" he thought that was why his stuttering stopped.

Spencer Mary -- The Vow (3/94) -- Lady Margot, heroine stutters.

Renaissance

Feather, Jane -- The Least Likely Bride (2/00) -- Lady Olivia Granville stutters and is in all three books of the Bride Trilogy, but this is her romance. Stuart England/Charles I - Commonwealth (c. 1641 and after)

Roller, Pamela -- On Silent Wings (5/07) -- Mute -- Lady Katherine Seymour the once envied, pursued, and betrothed had lost her father, her fiancée , her voice, and all worldly goods in the great London fire.

Georgian

Balogh, Mary -- Heartless (19/95) - Lady Emily is introduced
Balogh, Mary -- Silent Melody (8/97) -- Lady Emily Marlowe is mute and deaf.

Hoyt, Elizabeth -- Darling Beast (10/14) [Maiden Lane - 7] -- 1741, Georgian London -- Falsely accused of murder and mute from a near-fatal beating, Apollo Greaves, Viscount Kilbourne has escaped from Bedlam.

Traditional Regency

Balogh, Mary -- »» The Best Christmas Ever (11/91) - (A) A Regency Christmas III (11/91) and (A) A Christmas Revels (11/02) -- Girl who has been mute since witnessing her mother's death wishes for a new mama for Christmas.

Beaumont, Nicola -- The Resurrection of Lady Somerset (9/07) -- The ethereal Lark Blackwell is a beauty who has been mute for 13 years and talks with her hands.

Clayton, Alana -- A Gifted Lady (7/95) -- A widowed marquess reluctantly accepts the unorthodox help of a beautiful widow to reach out to his troubled young daughter, trapped into silence by some unknown fear.

Heyer, Georgette -- The Convenient Marriage (1934) -- Horry is a stuttering heroine. She's also 17-years-old and marries her hero when he's 36-years-old.

Lane, Allison -- The Rake and the Wallflower (10/01) -- Heroine, Mary Seabrook stutters around most people. Hero, Lord Grayson, helps out her at ease...

Lansdowne, Judith A. -- Amelia's Intrigue (7/95) -- Secondary character (hero's brother) tends to stutter/stammer.

»» Lord Hawksmoor Takes Flight (5/04) by Laura Paquet -- (A) A Wife for Papa (5/04) -- Hero, Lord Hawksmoor, stutters; therefore he avoids company and does not speak much in public and everyone thinks he is a terrible snob.

Savery, Jeanne -- A Handful of Promises (5/92) -- Heroine, Lady Helen Rotherford, is described by the hero as "an excessively shy young woman of astonishing intellect, a woman more plump than stylish, with an endearing stammer which disappeared as soon as one teased her into discussing things of interest to her."

French Revolution

Simmons, Deborah -- Silent Heart (HH 185 - 8/93) -- Alexandre, the hero, is mute - unsure if this is real or faked.

Regency

Balogh, Mary -- Only Enchanting (11/14) [Survivors' Club Septet - 4] -- Flavian, Viscount Ponsonby had very serious head injury in the Peninsula War leaving him with a stutter, especially when he is stressed, and some memory loss.

George, Lily -- Healing the Soldier's Heart (LIH 198 - 8/13) [Brides of Waterloo - 3] -- Ensign James Rowland's guilt from Waterloo has left him almost mute and crushed in spirit.

James, Deana -- Speak Only Love (7/91) -- Vivian Marleigh is mute from childhood trauma.

Justiss, Julia -- A Most Unconventional Match (HH 905 - 7/08) -- Businessman Hal Waterman stutters and is tongue-tied.

Kinsale, Laura -- Midsummer Moon (11/87) -- Lord Ransom Falconer has a speech impediment.

Klassen, Julia -- The Silent Governess (1/10) -- Heroine, Olivia Keene is attacked and due to bruising around neck is unable to speak for part of the book. (1815, England - Inspy)

Lethbridge, Ann -- The Gamekeeper's Lady (HH 1041 - 5/11) [Rakes in Disgrace - 1] -- Frederica, shy, innocent, illegitimate stutters.

Paul, Susan Spencer -- Beguiled (HH 408 - 4/98) -- Painful for Lady Lillian Walford to speak; mute.

Quinn, Julia -- The Duke and I (1/00) -- Simon Basset stutters.

Ryan, Mia -- »» A Dozen Kisses (2/03) - (A) The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (2/03) -- Lord Darington has a speech impediment.

Victorian

Bryan, Emily -- Distracting the Duchess (3/08) -- Florinda, the heroine's younger marriage-age sister, has a stammer.

Hoffs, B.J. -- The Emerald Ballad Series (1991 - 1994) -- Victorian Inspirationals -- Evan Whitaker stutters, especially when stressed -- setting: Ireland/New York, mid-19th Century
1. Song of the Silent Harp
2. Heart of the Lonely Exile
3. Land of a Thousand Dreams
4. Sons of an Ancient Glory
5. Dawn of the Golden Promise

Ivory, Judith -- Untie My Heart (11/02) -- Stuart Aysgarth is gorgeous, sexy and worldly; also stutters.

Kinsale, Laura -- Flowers From the Storm (10/92)

Kleypas, Lisa -- Devil in Winter (3/06) -- Evie Jenner is painfully shy, beautiful and stutters.
Kleypas, Lisa -- A Wallflower Christmas (10/08) -- Evie of "Devil in Winter" is secondary in this one.

Frontier - Western - Americana

Albright, Kathryn -- The Angel And The Outlaw (HH 876 - 12/07) -- Hero's young daughter has never uttered a word.

Gaffney, Patricia -- Sweet Everlasting (7/93) -- Pennsylvania Americana -- Carrie Wiggins is a mute.

Leigh, Ana -- Tender is the Touch by Ana Leigh (2/94) -- Mike MacAllister's brother stutters and Sydney Delandy helps him with it.

O'Connell, Ellen -- Without Words (10/14) -- 1871 - Hassie was injured when she was eight-years-old, leaving her mute.

Pittman, Allison K. -- The Bridegrooms (4/10) -- Christian. Turn-of-the-Century Americana Cleveland, OH. One of the sisters (Althea? something like that) is "selectively mute" ... the Brooklyn Bridegrooms are a baseball team.

Thomas, Jodi -- The Texan's Wager (11/02) -- Carter, the hero, is selectively mute and Zeb doesn't speak following a childhood trauma.

Warfield, Teresa -- Heaven Made (12/95) -- Janey, nine-years-old, hasn't spoken a word since her mother's mysterious death a year ago.

Witemeyer, Karen -- Head in the Clouds (10/10) -- Five-year-old Isabella hasn't uttered a word since she lost her mother. (Inspirational)

Historical Fiction: 1920s-1950s -- WWII

Paul, Kathleen -- »» Engagement of the Heart (9/01) -- (A) Christmas Letters (9/01) -- Heroine, Betsy Anderson, stutters. -- WWII, USA 1944 (Inspirational)

Contemporary - Romantic Suspense

Brown, Sandra -- Unspeakable (7/98) -- Anna Corbett is mute and deaf.

Delinsky, Barbara -- Lake News (8/99) -- Lily stutters under stress, conquered this childhood problem by singing.

Donovan, Susan -- The Kept Woman (7/06) -- Greg, 13-year-old son of the heroine, stutters.

Elkeles, Simone -- Rules of Attraction (5/10) [A Perfect Chemistry Novel - 2] -- Young Adult / New Adult -- Kiara Westford, senior in high school stutters.

Hannah, Kristin -- On Mystic Lake (2/99) -- A six-year-old girl doesn't speak for a large part of the book, a wonderful part of the storyline.

Lovelace, Merline -- River Rising (6/99) -- Retarded Billy Holloway, a beautiful male 19-year-old who stutters badly.

Morgan, Hunter -- Unspoken Fear (5/06) -- Mallory, 4-year-old daughter of Rachel, has a speech impediment - she lisps and works to talk better throughout the book.

Perry, Marta -- Hannah's Joy (5/12) [Pleasant Valley - 6] -- Christian CR - Furniture maker William Brand stutters, making him feel like an outsider in his Amish community. (See p. 3 for sequence of the PV Series)

Riggs, Paula Detmer -- Taming the Night (2/99) -- The hero, Brody Hollister, chief of police, stutters when under stress.

Series/Category

Brunstetter, Wanda -- Talking for Two (Heartsong Insp 465 - 4/02) -- Tammy stutters and enrolls in a class on ventriloquism.

Collins, Colleen -- Tongue-Tied (HT 899 - 10/02) -- Robin Lee, heroine stutters.

Glenn, Elizabeth -- More than Words (HT 195 - 3/88) -- Hero Keller Hunt is a policeman who is injured on duty...doesn't talk at all just writes on pad of paper...at the end he can talk after some surgey but it hurts so he does keep writting on pad of paper. (Looks at book to make sure, yeah he can talk at the end but it does hurt and he does use the pad of paper also.)

Graham, Lynne -- Indecent Deception (HP 1740 - 5/95) -- Chrissy, the heroine, stutters.

Kent, Lynnette -- The Last Honest Man (HSR 1147 - 8/03) -- Adam DeVries has a stutter and hires Phoebe Moss speech therapist to help him conquer his impediment.

Miles, Cassie -- Tongue-Tied (HT 26 - 9/84) -- Luke Todmorden, handsome aspiring senator had to overcome his stutter before he could address the public. Crystal Baxter is his speech therapist.

Napier, Susan -- The Lonely Season (HP 940 - 12/86) -- heroine has severely damaged vocal cords.

Nielsen, Virginia -- Of Dolls and Angels (HSR 506 - 7/92) -- Child Psychologist, Sara Eaton, had a disabling stutter when she was a teenager. Becoming a ventriloquist helped her conquer her stutter and now she uses her dolls to draw out bashful children.

Southwick, Teresa -- At the Millionaire's Request (SSE 1769 - 7/06) -- Gavin Spencer's young son, Sean is mute after a terrible accident. Not sure if he regains his speech or not.

Wilson, Leanna -- Strong Silent Cowboy (HP 1740 - 9/96) -- Kirk Manning has a brain Injury; Shannon Montgomery agrees to help him. See Sharon's post on page 2 for more details.

General Fiction

Wolfson, Jill -- What I Call Life (4/08) -- A group home for girls is watched over by a strange old woman everyone calls the Knitting Lady who stutters.

Alternate World - Urban Fantasy - Vampire - Futuristic

Reinke, Sara -- Dark Thirst (7/07) -- Vampire -- Brandon Noble is deaf and mute.

Reamy, Tom -- Blind Voices (1978) -- A traveling circus visits a small Kansas town. The main attraction is a mute albino boy named Angel, local girl Evelyn falls in love with him. (Fantasy Novel - Great Depression - Late 1920's early 1930s)

--Janie[/color]

So many books, so little time.

Last edited by Janie on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:29 am 

Victorian:

:arrow: Ivory, Judith --- UNTIE MY HEART
Stuart Aysgarth is gorgeous, sexy and worldly; also stutters

:arrow: Kleypas, Lisa --- DEVIL IN WINTER
Evie Jenner is painfully shy, beautiful and stutters

Regency:

:arrow: Quinn, Julia --- THE DUKE AND I
Simon Basset stutters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:53 am 

Laura Kinsale - FLOWERS FROM THE STORM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:44 am 

<font color=black>
Hi Ladies,

I found another list I had started with more titles ... will add these and the ones you've added in an Edit.

Trad Regency:
Heyer, Georgette -- The Convenient Marriage (1934) -- Horry is a stuttering heroine. She's also 17-years-old and marries her hero when he's 36-years-old.

Contemporary Romance:
Delinsky, Barbara -- Lake News (8/99) -- Lily stutters under stress, conquered this childhood problem by singing.

--Janie</font color>

Last edited by Janie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:01 pm 

<i>Emerald Isle Ballad</i> series (<i>Song of the Silent Harp, Heart of the Lonely Exile, Land of a Thousand Dreams, Sons of an Ancient Glory, Dawn of the Golden Promise</i> by B. J. Hoff.
- Evan Whitaker stutters, especially when stressed
- setting: Ireland/New York, mid-19th Century

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:07 pm 

"A Dozen Kisses" by Mia Ryan in <i>The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown</i>. Lord Darington has a speech impediment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:11 pm 

Janie do you have this one?

More than Words by Elizabeth Glenn Har Temp#195 3/88
Hero Keller Hunt is a policeman who is injured on duty...doesn't talk at all just writes on pad of paper...at the end he can talk after some surgey but it hurts so he does keep writting on pad of paper. (Looks at book to make sure, yeah he can talk at the end but it does hurt and he does use the pad of paper also.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 am 

<font color=black>Thank You, Ladies. I've updated the Master List for 5-08-07.

It occurs to me that there are probably quite a few lisping characters in Regency times, but I couldn't begin to remember what books they are in. If you recall any, I'll add to this list.

Appreciate your input. :)

--Janie</font color>

Last edited by Janie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:39 pm 

Ransom from Laura Kinsale's Midsummer Moon had a speech impediment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:17 pm 

Tongue-Tied   
by  Cassie Miles HT 26

Her kiss was his cure. Speech therapist Crystal Baxter knew exactly what her priorities were. First she would get her Ph.D. Then she would consider romantic involvements. Luke Todmorden had his own priorities. The handsome aspiring senator had to overcome his stutter before he could address the public. And only Crystal could cure him, he insisted ... with her kiss. Crystal fought to keep their relationship professional. But when Luke's warm lips descended to hers in sweet exploration, she knew it was too late to turn back.

Of Dolls and Angels   
by  Virginia Nielsen HS 506

It was humiliating! As a teenager, Sara Eaton had got around her disabling stutter by becoming a ventriloquist. Maybe she couldn't talk for herself, but with one of her dolls on her knee, she was the life of any party. Now Sara was a child psychologist. She had long since conquered her stutter and only used her dolls to draw out bashful children. Then William Tyson walked into her life. Her heart flipped and visions of wedding bells danced through her head. But at the same time, Sara wanted to crawl into a hole and hide. Because suddenly she was stuttering again--as badly as she had as a teenager.

Talking for Two   
by  Wanda Brunstetter HSNG 465 Inspirational

Her stuttering and lack of self-confidence have her locked in a trap she can't escape. She's faced these problems since childhood, when her pretty, outgoing sister was born. Wanting to serve the Lord--and show her family she can amount to something--Tabby enrolls in a class on ventriloquism. When she visits the shop of accomplished ventriquist Seth Byers to inquire about buying a dummy, he quickly notices her potential. With the help of Tabby's best friend, Seth begins a campaign to turn Tabby into what he thinks she should be--the perfect woman to be his wife. But Tabby knows she will never be perfect. Will she ever let go of her shyness and use her talent to serve God? Will Seth be able to love her just as she is? Or will Tabby spend the rest of her life letting her dummy talk for two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:10 pm 

Thanks Ladies! I've added these titles to the Master List, so we're caught up to... here. :D

Regency
Midsummer Moon by Laura Kinsale (11/87) -- Lord Ransom Falconer has a speech impediment.

Tongue-Tied by Cassie Miles (HT 26 - 9/84) -- Luke Todmorden, handsome aspiring senator had to overcome his stutter before he could address the public. Crystal Baxter is his speech therapist.

Of Dolls and Angels by Virginia Nielsen (HSR 506 - 7/92) -- Child Psychologist, Sara Eaton, had a disabling stutter when she was a teenager. Becoming a ventriloquist helped her conquer her stutter and now she uses her dolls to draw out bashful children.

--Janie

Last edited by Janie on Wed May 12, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:54 pm 

<i>The Rake and the Wallflower</i> by Allison Lane (Traditional Regency, c. 2001)

Heroine, Mary Seabrook stutters around most people. Hero, Lord Grayson, helps out her at ease...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:11 pm 

Mary Balogh, "The Best Christmas Ever."
Girl who has been mute since witnessing her mother's death wishes for a new mama for Christmas. in <i>A Regency Christmas III.</i> Signet, November 1991.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:40 pm 

Hi, Janie, I don't think I saw this on your list.

Olivia Granville stutters. She's in Jane Feather's Bride Trilogy. [<i>Hostage Bride, Accidental Bride, Least Likely Bride</i>]

Incidentally, setting is Stuart England/Charles I - Commonwealth (c. 1641 and after)

Post subject: Updated 8-19-07
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:15 pm 

Appreciate you, Glencora. I've added these titles and descriptions.

The Rake and the Wallflower by Allison Lane (10/01) -- Heroine, Mary Seabrook stutters around most people. Hero, Lord Grayson, helps out her at ease...

»» The Best Christmas Ever by Mary Balogh (11/91) - (A) A Regency Christmas III (11/91) and (A) A Christmas Revels (11/02) -- Girl who has been mute since witnessing her mother's death wishes for a new mama for Christmas.

The Least Likely Bride by Jane Feather (2/00) -- Lady Olivia Granville stutters and is in all three books of the Bride Trilogy, but this is her romance. Stuart England/Charles I - Commonwealth (c. 1641 and after)

Updated on 8-19-07

--Janie

Last edited by Janie on Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: mute
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:37 pm 

I was reading some reviews on Amazon and found this bk. Never heard of the author and would like to know if it's any good.

ON SILENT WINGS / Pamela Roller/ mute heroine

Post subject: Re: mute
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:52 pm 

[quote="rodneyanderson@bellsouth."]I was reading some reviews on Amazon and found this bk. Never heard of the author and would like to know if it's any good.

ON SILENT WINGS / Pamela Roller/ mute heroine[/quote]

<font color=black>Julene, your note is the first I've heard of the book. I'll put it under Renaissance and have included the blurb here. You might re-post your question on the Readers' Roundtable and have a better chance of someone having read it to see it. Maybe. :)

Thanks for helping to build the list we have on-going here. Appreciate it.

Renaissance -
<b>On Silent Wings by Pamela Roller (5/07)</b> -- Lady Katherine Seymour the once envied, pursued, and betrothed had lost her father, her fiancé, her voice, and all worldly goods in the great London fire.

Blurb:

His is a heart of iron...

Embittered lord Alexander Fletcher must shelter a penniless mute in his ancestral home, Drayton castle. Although he makes no pretense that he resents the intrusion, the woman stirs his heart into an unwelcome gallop. He wants only to be alone and not to love another woman who, like his wife, might grow to hate him so much that she will take her own life.

And she is slowly melting it...

Lord Drayton's detachment only adds to Katherine Seymour's distress of losing her voice. But after he gives her a searing kiss just before he introduces the husband he's chosen for her -- and whom she promptly refuses -- she discovers his horrid secret. but someone is watching. Only Agnes Cooke knows how Alex's insane wife died, and she will not hesitate to kill again in order to be the next Lady Drayton. Watching Alex go out of his way to help Katherine regain her voice, however, is more than she can take. This plan will require more than just laudanum and mercury....

--Janie</font color>

Last edited by Janie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: another one
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:18 pm 

I'm on line too often reading reviews to get any actual bk reading done. While looking at siren bk releases I found another one with a heroine who has been mute for 13 years, ever since the night her parents were murdered. Sounds rather interesting in another sense as well....
Hero is being coerced into marrying her and he fears that she might be his half-sister.

nicola beaumont/ the resurrection of lady somerset

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:11 pm 

Julene, I can certainly relate on the spending too much time on the computer comment. If I could manage to wean myself away from mine, there's no telling how much more reading I would get accomplished.

I was looking to see if there was an excerpt available on this one and noticed that RT has reviewed it and given it 4 Stars or maybe even 4½ Stars. I'm not a subscriber so couldn't pull up the review page to see for sure. The blurb sounds like a book I'd enjoy. I thought I'd found a link for an excerpt but it wouldn't work on my computer, but there is a note that it's a Traditional Regency, and I've read three of those in the last few days.

I'll update the list as this:

The Resurrection of Lady Somerset by Nicola Beaumont (9/07) -- The ethereal Lark Blackwell is a beauty who has been mute for 13 years and talks with her hands.

Here's the blurb and more info I found:

An age-old mystery, a risky assignment, a marriage devised to suppress a secret.

Ethereal Lark Blackwell has been hidden within Somerset Manor most of her young life. Few guessed her existence. With the death of her mentor comes the command to marry the new Lord Somerset. He is to protect her, to introduce her to Society, and to keep hidden the mystery of her beginnings. Ha! After his shocked tirade and obvious disdain of the arrangement, she would not marry him even if he were the last man on God's green earth.

Jonathon Rexley, Lord Somerset, cannot help falling in love with the mute beauty who talks with her hands. Without this marriage, the estate falls to his wastrel brother, who already seems to have charmed the lady. Gad, but he is torn. Despite his love, the possibility exists that in her fire-blackened past, she could be his half-sister. Marry her, yes. Touch her, never. THE RESURRECTION OF LADY SOMERSET may just be the death of the Jonathan Rexley.

Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Thanks for sharing what you're finding as you dig for nuggets, Julene.

--Janie

Last edited by Janie on Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:31 pm 

Mary Balogh also wrote Silent Me, whose heroine Emily is deaf-mute from birth. Emily also appeared as a secondary character in Heartless.