Post subject: Historical guardian/ward
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:08 pm 

Looking for books with the theme of guardian falling for his ward. I like the ones from the Regency England period. Also must be sexy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:19 am 

Captive by Joan Johnston

She was a gorgeous rebel.

Defying all the rules, daring to speak her mind, Charlotte Edgerton declared her independence before she even entered the Earl of Denbigh's home. Her new guardian immediately made her a prisoner in her own room—until she agreed to learn the lady-like arts. Furious, she complied. Anything to buy her freedom from Denbigh. She's even marry a man she didn't love to get away from her domineering guardian. In fact, love was the furthest thing from her mind...

He was the Earl who vowed to tame her.

Lionel Morgan, Earl of Denbigh, had been betrayed at the altar by another woman and vowed that no female would ensnare him again. Then Charlotte Edgerton burst into his life. Denbigh wasn't prepared for this headstrong American—or the passions she inspired on first sight. He knew only that he had to civilize her, present her at court, and Almack's, and then marry her off to the highest bidder. It wasn't until he nearly lost her that he realized the truth: She'd somehow reversed their roles and become the captor of his heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:36 am 

My first book by Julia Quinn and still one of my favorites, but more sweet than sexy - Minx...

It takes a minx to tempt a rogue...Beautiful and feisty Henrietta Barrett has never followed the dictates of society. She manages her elderly guardian's estate, prefers to wear breeches rather than dresses, and answers to the unlikely name of Henry. But when her guardian passes away, her beloved home falls into the hands of a distant cousin.

And it takes a rogue to tame her...William Dunford, London's most elusive bachelor, is stunned to learn that he's inherited property, a title...and a ward bent on making his first visit his last. Henry is determined to continue running the Cornwall estate without help from the handsome new lord, but Dunford is just as sure he can change things...starting with his wild young ward. But turning Henry into a lady makes her not only the darling of the town, but an irresistible attraction to the man who thought he could never be tempted

Post subject: Guardian/Ward Theme Books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:19 am 

<i>Forbidden Love</i> - Karen Robards. It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it's definitely an historical.

Post subject: Regency - Guardian/Ward
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 am 

Hi sueken and Everyone,

I think <i>Forbidden Love</i> was the first guardian/ward romance I ever read, it blew me away and that one was closely followed by... or maybe it was the first, I forget... <i>Vixen by Jane Feather</i>, I'd like to reread them sometime.

Here are others that I've enjoyed over the years but I read most of them before I started trying to rate my books. I thought they were all <i>sexy</i>, however that's a factor that varies reader to reader... proceed with open eyes on that reminder so you won't feel led astray. :)
<u>
Regency - Guardian/Ward</u>

Dangerous Joy by Jo Beverley
The Duke by Catherine Coulter
Vixen by Jane Feather
Lord of Ice by Gaelen Foley
Beyond a Wicked Kiss by Jo Goodman (A Hot+)
Forever After by Jill Gregory
The Husband Hunt by Jillian Hunter
The Seducer by Madeline Hunter (B+ Subtle)
The Saint by Madeline Hunter (A Hot)
Captive by Joan Johnston
Wicked Promise by Kat Martin
Treasured Vows by Cathy Maxwell
Minx by Julia Quinn
Forbidden Love by Karen Robards
Anne's Perfect Husband by Gayle Wilson (HH 552 - 3/01)

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

Post subject: Re: Guardian/Ward Theme Books
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 am 

Judi wrote:
<i>Forbidden Love</i> - Karen Robards. It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it's definitely an historical.

great one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:22 pm 

Master of Desire (2001) by Kinley MacGregor (have a cold shower ready when you read this one!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:23 am 

Four in Hand by Stephanie Laurens
Max Rotherbridge knew his life would never be the same....

Unexpectedly inheriting the dukedom of Twyford, Max Rotherbridge was stunned to discover he had also inherited wardship of the four Twinning sisters.

The eldest, Miss Caroline Twinning, was everything he had ever wanted in a woman -- and more! But even a notorious rake such as Max knew that, as his ward, she was the one woman he could not seduce. And who better than a rake to ensure that other rakes did not succeed in compromising the sisters?

Max was afraid that his protectiveness was not just duty, but a need to win the respect of the woman he loved…