Post subject: The Panther Ponders...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:39 am 

Wisconsin hunters---Wisconsin is nuts!!! The state legislature is considering lowering the hunting age to eight years old. Yes, that's 8 years old!!! Their problem is that hunting is getting less and less of an in-vogue thing for teens and they figure the only way to increase the number of hunters is to lower the age limit to get them hooked into hunting. Well, last year when it was brought up before the DNR to lower the current age from 12 to 10, most of the gun safety instructors threatened to quit. They say that even 12 year olds don't have the necessary attention span and are too careless. So now they want to lower it to 8, which is a blatant effort to seek a compromise of 10. Seems that for every 100 people that quit hunting, only 53 new hunters come along.

Do you all think anyone wants 8 year olds walking around in the woods and grasslands with rifles? The photo that went along with an article supporting it in a major newspaper -- that photo was of a child sitting on a rock with a huge rifle slung across his lap. I cannot believe supposedly intelligent, responsible adults are backing this nonsense.

Well, no one's actually said it, but what it all comes down to is the love of $$$$. There's big bucks in hunting in Wisconsin what with licenses, gun shops, tourism, a lot of businesses in northern Wisconsin make most of their money during hunting seasons, without which they'd go out of business. I say "tough toenails". I sure as h*ll don't want children tramping around my back forty with deadly weapons.

Like my Panther Ponder Theory is: just about everything in the world whittles down to one thing: MONEY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:33 pm 

Patricia, that is CRAZY! Didn't you say once, maybe it was last season, that a hunter accidentally shot a bullet at a house? Or did that happen here? Kids with guns, what's next? Do they think they'll get taken seriously? Do they think the kids will take hunting seriously? When I was a kid, I remember boys talking about going hunting with their fathers only to shoot at rabbits, squirrels, and birds repeatedly for fun. Twisted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:33 am 

Yep, it's nuts! Then people wonder when kids take guns to school. And where's the respect for life? Many abusers and murders started on animals, then moved on to their fellow mankind.

And don't get me started on Wisconsin wanting to legalize the hunting of cats!!!!!!!!! It's already legal in South Dakota and Minnesota.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm 

Hunting of cats?! You mean, feral cats? Like, Mr. Fluffy ran out the back door by accident and now little Johnny next door can shoot him? That's terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:28 am 

Yep, it's supposed to be "feral" cats but their definition of feral is ridiculous. That's any cat who either doesn't have a collar or isn't within arm's reach of their owner. So if my dear sweet Rocky & Beau were out hunting mice in my pasture, it'd be legal for someone to shoot them. :x Any farmer's barn cats are considered "feral" by their definition.

The proposition went up for county vote last year and passed in 50 of the 71 Wisconsin counties so the DNR has to bring it before the state legistlature, but Gov. Doyle says he won't put let it go through. That makes him a-okay in my book despite all the other stupid things he wants to do.

The guy that originally brought up this proposal has gotten some death threats. :D

Why would anyone want to hunt harmless cats? Some ass paid someone at UW Madison to do a study and they came up with the notion that there are over 2 million feral cats in Wisconsin who kill many millions of birds every year. Some idiots actually think that because of the cats, birds will become extinct. Believe me, there's no shortage of birds around here and with the "bird flu" pandemic looming, I say goodbye to as many birds as possible anyway. Anyway, those idiots doing that study---how on earth could they estimate the number of "feral" cats in Wisconsin? I say there aren't any truly feral cats in Wisconsin--they wouldn't be able to survive our winters (most of the birds go south and they wouldn't be able to dig mice from under over a foot of snow) unless someone is feeding them and then they're not truly wild.

Back to why would anyone want to shoot cats----I could get clobbered here for saying this----but Minnesota (where cat hunting is legal) has the largest Hmong population outside of California and that's followed closely by Wisconsin's Hmong population. 60% of the Hmongs have hunting licenses and it's a known fact that they enjoy eating cats. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 am 

Hey, I live in Wisconsin and even in elementary school, many classmates of my kids would be gone during the first week of hunting season to hunt with their parents. I think it's nuts, but that's how it is up in mid-Wisconsin. Kids eight and under have been hunting with parents since forever. My brother-in-law took his daughter out with him at age four. She is ten now and can gut (is that the word?) a deer. Not my idea of a cozy family outting, but it's happening :roll:
The people who want to hunt cats are not the Hmongs. They're the farmers. They don't like stray cats on their property. The law has been relegated to the trashbin, thank goodness. (Or at least I'd heard it had from our local Humane Society, where daughter and I spend a lot of time volunteering).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:46 am 

It is definitely NOT the farmers who want to hunt cats. I grew up on a farm and still live on one. Farmers LOVE cats; the cats are crucial to keeping down the rodent population. Most farmers have "barn cats" for that very purpose and those cats would be considered "feral" under this proposition. It was a firefighter who introduced the idea and I haven't heard that it's been dumped yet. Just the opposite---since it passed in 50 of Wisconsin's 71 counties, the DNR has to bring it up before the state legistlature and I don't believe that's happened yet, maybe I'm wrong.

Did you see the article in the MIlwaukee Sunday paper the first week of April about trapping? Girls in their early teens are going out trapping, skinning and gutting the animals. ONe girl said it's great that she can spend that time being with her mother. I say "stay home and bake cookies". Then the mother says 95% of the meat she puts on the table is game; article goes on to state how many raccoons and possums they've trapped this winter. Yuck! Might as well eat rats as eat a possum.