Post subject: Book/Ebook Prices--Do You Have A Limit?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:05 pm 

I just saw on the RT Magazine site that Ilona Andrews new Kate Daniels book is out, Magic Breaks. I love her books but the kindle book is $11. Last week I was in a Barnes & Noble and was looking at Darynda Jones' new book, but the hardcover price was $26.99. I have not gotten either book.

Just wondering if anyone has a limit as to what they spend on books. Does anyone have a book budget? I read so many books that I am really getting stingy with my wallet. Years ago I would have thought nothing of buying the new Amanda Quick/Linda Howard/Julie Garwood book in hardcover, but not now. I have too many "favorite" authors to justify this indulgence.

I recently have bought several ebooks for $7 each--I think that's my limit. Good books and long (over 350 pages.) But while I'd pay it for a paperback, I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth in a digital. But the books I've gotten for .99 or slightly higher have not been memorable, just passing time. Is the saying true for books, you get what you pay for?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Book/Ebook Prices--Do You Have A Limit?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:47 pm 

I don't have a price limit per se, but I do NOT pay cover price. There are a few authors I still buy in hardback (if series started out hardback I like to keep hardback) but I either buy new online at a 25 to 40% discount or I wait a little while & buy from half.com or ebay. If it's a series that started out in paperback, I may get the new hardbacks from the library if I can't wait to read them; but I don't buy until the paperback editions release (and again I buy at a discount.) If I can't buy an e-book version at LESS than it would cost me for the paperback, I don't buy it. I think spending more for the ebook than I can buy the actual book new is just goofy! With an actual book, I can loan it to friends & family and if I run out of space to store them, I can donate them to my public library. I have to admit that I'm using my public library a lot. I used to spend $75 to $100 a month on books (back when paperbacks were under $5 and hardbacks were under $20) but now that paperbacks are almost $6 (discounted) and hardbacks are about $18 (discounted) I am being a whole lot pickier about what I buy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:43 pm 

Thanks for your thoughts, Ohreader. I do like to be able to loan out books or even donate to the library--now I'm just deleting from my kindle, which seems like a waste.

I've been looking at the Amazon subscription service and might try the free month to see how I like it. I did notice books I liked, but only the first books in a series was part of the service, then it's $3 for the others.

Patience seems to be the key. If I can wait (and keep a good list so I don't miss any) then ebooks do come down in price or at least become part of a sale.

I wish there was a way Amazon would let you return a ebook for credit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm 

My limit for kindle books is $2.99. It's very rare that I will go beyond that amount. It's not a paperback that I can loan to friends, sell or trade online, or sell to a UBS. All I can do when I'm finished reading it is archive it. (There are some books that you can loan to a friend who has a kindle, but they are never the ones my friends want to read.)

As Heather mentioned, patience is the key. I have 2,000+ books in my TBR, so I'm not going to run out of reading material any time soon. I've signed up on various sites that will notify me when books have dropped below a certain price (bookbub.com), and will notify me when the price of books by my favorite authors have went down (eReaderIQ.com). They've both been great at letting me know when there is a good price on a book I want to read.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:34 pm 

My limit is usually $3.99 with exceptions :oops:

I have tried to stop but I still bought the new Garwood book; did it without looking at the price

Have over 900 books on my wish list right now waiting for the price to go down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:29 am 

My limit for ebooks is $1.99 and I have yet to cross that line. I have plenty of patience and 180 books on my Kindle wish list :shock: ! I have read many good free (or nearly free) books by subscribing to both bookbub.com and ereaderiq.com--books I may have otherwise overlooked if I allowed myself free rein with the 'Buy With One Click' button.

HR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:24 am 

Maybe we should start a new thread on the "Ebooks Questions answered here" board when we see a great price on eBooks (whether Amazon, B&N, or whoever) by favorite authors or highly recommended books.

Would you guys be interested in that?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:44 am 

Robin, I would be very interested in that. Currently I am on allromance.com and they will have sales from publishers or a flash sale--which I could take advantage of if I had a better wish list. I was trying to keep it manageable, but I think I need to just list all the books I possibly might want and then I'll be ready if I see a good sale, or if it goes down in price. But I will try the bookbub.com and ereaderiq.com too. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:13 pm 

I started a new threat on the "eBook Questions Answered Here" board. It's called eBook Sales.

Anyone who sees an interesting book with a price drop can go over to that thread and let us know about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:11 am 

HeatherBrown wrote:
I will try the bookbub.com and ereaderiq.com too.

Heather--Bookbub does not allow you to set a limit on the cost of ebooks, but ereaderiq does. Ereaderiq will send you an e-mail notice when the book(s) you are tracking reach the price limit you have chosen. I subscribe to both sites; I have read a lot of good books and discovered new authors I would probably have otherwise overlooked. Good luck!

HR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:15 pm 

If I pay over $10, it has to be something I can't get fast enough from the library! I'll pay for an occasional download via Kindle Daily Deals and right now I still have Amazon Prime (I'll probably cancel when my subscription is up -- unless I get a new Kindle for Christmas LOL). I don't buy books at all anymore unless it's a textbook for my sons, an occasional cookbook, or an antique/collectible book that I just have to have.

I'm a big library user but I'm fortunate in my library. It has a huge collection and gets bestsellers quickly. I picked up my Julie Garwood on Tuesday (when it came out). They are slower for their Kindle/ebook downloads and I think that has to do with Amazon's pricing. Kindle is my first choice though and I check for downloadables as soon as I hear about a book. Then I reserve both the paper edition and the downloadable and see which comes first.

If I lived out in the country like Janie and others here, I'd be spending a fortune. So I'm trading polluted air for cheap books LOL.

Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. Fill your glass again, with a merry face and contented heart. Our life on it, but your Christmas shall be merry, and your new year a happy one! -- Dickens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:21 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
If I pay over $10, it has to be something I can't get fast enough from the library! I'll pay for an occasional download via Kindle Daily Deals and right now I still have Amazon Prime (I'll probably cancel when my subscription is up -- unless I get a new Kindle for Christmas LOL). I don't buy books at all anymore unless it's a textbook for my sons, an occasional cookbook, or an antique/collectible book that I just have to have.

I'm a big library user but I'm fortunate in my library. It has a huge collection and gets bestsellers quickly. I picked up my Julie Garwood on Tuesday (when it came out). They are slower for their Kindle/ebook downloads and I think that has to do with Amazon's pricing. Kindle is my first choice though and I check for downloadables as soon as I hear about a book. Then I reserve both the paper edition and the downloadable and see which comes first.

If I lived out in the country like Janie and others here, I'd be spending a fortune. So I'm trading polluted air for cheap books LOL.

I live in the country too so being able to buy books online is great for me. When I was younger I loved to go to the library but my local library doesn't get in many books that I like to read.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 pm 

My library is a small, country one but part of multi-county co-op. So we have access to all the books, I just have to put holds on them. However, if my library isn't carrying a new book, I can't put a hold on it until it's been out 6 months.

I recently got a older Nina Bruhns book, Catch Me If you Can. I have not read any of hers yet, and I got it at a good price.