Post subject: Your Reading "comfort zone"
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:51 am 

I finally branched out! Yea, me! :D

Well, perhaps the branch didn't stretch out too far, but it did move some! I've always been reluctant to read anything that takes place prior to the Regency era. Don't know why, it just doesn't appeal to me. Actually, there was one exception, "The Boleyn Inheritance" by Phillipa Gregory (NOT "The Other Bolelyn Girl", which I read but did not enjoy anywhere near as much as "The Bolelyn Inheritence").

I digress, where was I? Oh, yes... I finally ventured out of my time period comfort zone and read a very entertaining mystery called, "A Murder at Rosamund's Gate" by Susanna Calkins. It takes place in London in 1665. Good story, likable characters, interesting plot. The author takes some liberties, but one can overlook them. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, "From the Charred Remains".

Does anyone else having a "reading comfort zone"? Have you tried to reach beyond it with any success?

Post subject: Re: Your Reading "comfort zone"
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:10 pm 

not sure if I have a comfort zone. What I do have are time frames that I will not read; Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Irish rebellion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 pm 

Still in my comfort zone.....can't pick up a book written in first person point of view or a paranormal.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:13 pm 

I don't read very many romances set in the medieval period. Most of them don't appeal to me.

I also don't willingly read futuristic romances. They just don't appeal to me. The exception is J.D. Robb's In Death series set about 50 years in the future. I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:47 pm 

I'm basically happy with any historical period. But, I don't really like historicals taking place in the US. I just don't find it interesting. I prefer reading about the Brits and the aristocracy. I also don't like books in first person. It just sounds weird to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm 

I never think I'm that particular until a question like this comes up.

Historicals prior to 1900 only if it's the UK-especially Scotland and England. Europe only in the 1800's, nothing during the renaissance.

Like historical cowboys, but not indians, and only 1800's, not early America. Contemporary cowboys or indians are good.

I like witches but not warlocks, only male vampires, werewolves, but not zombies/ghouls.

Science fiction--I like different planets and different features and different colors--except for private parts. No extra stuff.

No sex in a book is okay but not anything labeled "mild". Erotica is okay, but not extreme BDSM, and no DD.

I don't mind swear words between men, but between a man and woman only in the heat of passion/extreme situations.

No crime books regarding the death/abuse of a child, unless it's a very minor part.

No books set in a hospital, but the H/h can be a doctor working with the police/military/FBI.

I'm sure there is a lot more, because when I get the RT magazine that says there are over 250 books reviewed, I'm lucky if I get 3 or 4 that interest me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm 

Having a kindle has been very good for me. I have ventured out of my comfort zone quite frequently. I now read chic lit, don't mind first person, even tried a few medieavals if they looked like fun. I think indies have given us the chance to read outside the box. Many of the big publishers had a formula that seemed to work well, but some of us kooky types like other stuff, like really goofy, funny silly light-hearted romances in any time period.
One of my biggest issues is that Ireland is such a beautiful country but it's very hard to find a fun book set there, usually they seem to be very heavy or depressing.