Post subject: Book Peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 am 

Hi All,

Heather's topic on Copyrights on the General Board reminded me of a peeve I've been meaning to post about for quite awhile.

Used to be that the month and year would always be listed on the copyright page of the hardcovers. And most of the paperbacks, ( except as OHREADER noted on GB ) for Mira, which has always annoyed me about Mira.

I've got several new published hardcovers here from the Library and just the year noted on that copyright page. My Library is not the best anymore of getting the books in here the month they are released, so can't go by the date they label inside.

Since I've tried for years to keep accurate records of such, this is becoming even more of a time consuming effort. Even when I have the book in front of me many times, there is no information.

Come on publishers... why are you doing this????

If there is a different date for the digital books, fine. List that date, too.

Everyone, please post your "peeves" here... I imagine I'll be able to relate. But for this morning, this is what I have to share. :)

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

Post subject: Re: Book Peeves
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 am 

One of my biggest pet peeve is when your reading a series by an author and one of the books is done in not only in first person point of view but also 3rd.

Anyone who knows me....know that I do not read 1st person.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:09 pm 

My new peeve is that books are published a few chapters at a time.

With all the different pricing, sometimes .99 gets you a full novel, but sometimes .99 or $2.99 gets you 150 pages.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:57 pm 

One of my biggest peeves is when an author/publisher repackages a book or a couple of books and give it a new name - getting me excited that my author has a new book coming out and it turns out it's a reprint of two earlier books - not new at all. :?

One out right now if by Linda Howard - SHATTERED is a reprint of two of her worst books - ALL THAT GLITTERS and AN INDEPENDENT WIFE. I believe these were her first two books - but still they sucked and I know that there are people out there who will be sucked into buying the book thinking it is a new release.

SHAME ON THE PUBLISHERS (and Authors if they are in on it) for doing this to loyal readers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 pm 

My pet peeve is when each book in a series is published in paperback...until it gets to the last one. Then the publisher decides to publish it in hardcover. I like my books to be uniform and I hate waiting an extra year just to get my hands on the last book in the series.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:00 am 

My biggest book peeve can be summed up in one word--EDITING--or, specifically, the lack thereof. I always read an excerpt of the book(s) I am considering purchasing. If there are a lot of grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, etc., I will not buy them. There is nothing more aggravating than correcting mistakes while reading; it breaks the concentration. It is woefully obvious that a lot of authors rely on spell-check, resulting in errors such as 'waist/waste', 'there/their/they're', 'your/you're', and so on. It just bugs the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me :x !

HR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:05 am 

Robin in PA wrote:
My pet peeve is when each book in a series is published in paperback...until it gets to the last one. Then the publisher decides to publish it in hardcover. I like my books to be uniform and I hate waiting an extra year just to get my hands on the last book in the series.

Totally agree with this! I like to shelve my books by author & it messes up my the look of my bookcases if I have to mix paperback & hardback books on the same shelf. (Could be I'm a little bit OCD on this, though:) )

Another pet peeve is the paper used in paperbacks now...it yellows (or browns/oranges,depending) really fast now. I think they use acid-free paper in the hardbacks & whatever paper they want in paperbacks. I have old paperbacks of my mother's that haven't yellowed at all, and I have some I bought two or three years ago and they're already yellowed. (I keep them in the same bookcase, so it's not a difference in temperature or light.) My hardback books show no signs of yellowing pages in the old ones or the ones that are just a couple of years old.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 pm 

My biggest pet peeve is line spacing and font size. I have put books back on the shelf because they would be too hard on my eyes to read them, and even if I could manage it, it wouldn't be a comfortable read. I do like to buy an occasional book in paperback or hardcover, but mainly for ease of reading and changing the font size I like to read on my kindle now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:09 pm 

My peeve is when you read a book and it's going along, then you get a bad surprise in the end. Just read this book recently where it's an alpha type hero and a shy/plain type heroine (my favorite theme). Went along great. You see their relationship evolve, they get married, have a baby etc. Then at the end of the book you find out the entire time the hero has been keeping a mistress on the side. Hate cheating in books in general but when it's played out that it's been going on the entire time?!! No thanks!

Lorrie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:38 pm 

I hate nasty surprises in books that are supposed to be light-hearted or romantic comedy, it always hits you harder when you're not expecting it, and that makes me not want to buy the author again because I'm afraid he or she will do it in subsequent books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:40 pm 

Lmaha wrote:
My peeve is when you read a book and it's going along, then you get a bad surprise in the end. Just read this book recently where it's an alpha type hero and a shy/plain type heroine (my favorite theme). Went along great. You see their relationship evolve, they get married, have a baby etc. Then at the end of the book you find out the entire time the hero has been keeping a mistress on the side. Hate cheating in books in general but when it's played out that it's been going on the entire time?!! No thanks!

Lorrie

Lorrie, I'm dying to know the title and author of this book.

Put it in SPOILERS and won't ruin it for anyone.

Or private message me will work, too.

Thanks!

--Janie

So many books, so little time.