Post subject: Can a book be too long?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:24 pm 

I just read a fun historical but had to skip/skim through the last few chapters, I admit I am not patient with books, I prefer the shorter length novels or novellas so it was probably just me, but really, sometimes I find myself almost yelling at my kindle, "Oh, for heavens sake! Just get on with it!" Too much detail and too many added chapters beyond where I expected it to end, and it becomes a saga not a novel. I'm not talking about series here, really, I love a good series with each story packaged into it's own (not too long) novel.

Post subject: Re: Can a book be too long?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:34 pm 

I've found some books like that. Too many descriptions of the house, the furniture, the curtains, the food on the table, etc. I've seen the couple get their HEA and the story still went on and on and on. I wonder why their editor didn't tell them to cut it in some places.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:10 pm 

I agree Robin, too many wordy descriptions drives me crazy too, I suspect that is often about word count more than anything, writers trying to fill a word quota, that's why I think nowadays with Kindle books being pretty much any size there a bit less of the 'filler' in a lot of books as they are no longer trying to conform to a specific imprint / page count or word count.
You're right when a story carries on too long after the HEA it does seem odd, a couple of pages or an epilogue are enough.
P.S. just edited this because I realized I used the wrong name in response, sorry about that Robin. I'm a dingbat!

Last edited by L.C. on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 pm 

There are some books that need to be five pages long and other books that need to be five hundred pages. It just depends on the book, author, plot, story line, the interacting characters (sub-plot) and the dialog. Other books have had too much of all the above and have proved boring or pull your hear out and scream. I will agree with you that too much detail can be very off putting when reading.
I'm usually pretty easy to please and read for pleasure not to tear a book apart. A long book from my favorite author can't go on long enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:43 am 

Well said Anna. It seems to me that many authors are trying to fill a page quota. However, when I brought this subject up a while ago a reader vehemently screamed, "No! It needs to be longer to make it worth $8!"
:lol:

I hate reading 100 pages or more of filler.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:02 am 

Yes, a book can be too long. A book with too many characters, too much description and too much action-adventure bores me.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:04 pm 

As someone who has reread The Lord of the Rings several times, and who prefers books that are at least 800 pages, no, a book is never too long for me.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." -- Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 am 

Anna1122 wrote:
There are some books that need to be five pages long and other books that need to be five hundred pages. It just depends on the book, author, plot, story line, the interacting characters (sub-plot) and the dialog. Other books have had too much of all the above and have proved boring or pull your hear out and scream. I will agree with you that too much detail can be very off putting when reading.
I'm usually pretty easy to please and read for pleasure not to tear a book apart. A long book from my favorite author can't go on long enough for me.

I agree Anna and I would add that "too much detail" is generally in books that I'm not enjoying much. If I'm enjoying it, I don't notice it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:36 pm 

One author I've kind of given up on because of the length of her books is Lisa Jackson. I read several of her suspense books several years ago and I liked them. Each book got longer and longer. The length didn't enhance the story at all. It was like she had a 300 page story buried in a 500 page book. Way too much description (filler).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am 

YES! And sometimes it's really not even the page count, it's the garbage that makes it slow. I've been reading The Shining for well over a month...maybe longer...and I still have about 100 pages to go. I am so tempted to put it down and start something else but I am afraid if I do I'll never go back and finish, and I just can't do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:36 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
YES! And sometimes it's really not even the page count, it's the garbage that makes it slow. I've been reading The Shining for well over a month...maybe longer...and I still have about 100 pages to go. I am so tempted to put it down and start something else but I am afraid if I do I'll never go back and finish, and I just can't do that.

I used to read Stephen King many years ago. He always had a lot of filler in his books. I thought they could have been edited to half the size.

Hope you finish it soon, Kyle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 pm 

The only long books I've read lately are the J.R. Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I don't mind the longer length with those because there are so many stories in one book.

I'm getting picky in my old age, too long and it gets boring or too short and it's not satisfying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:56 am 

Hi All,

I've been observing myself about this and have come to notice that only if I'm not enjoying a book can it be too long.

--Janie
\\.

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:16 am 

Yes especially when the author fills the book with what I call fill-ins.....describing the scenery, the clothes the furnitures or the house.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/