Post subject: How do your 2014 reading numbers compare to last year?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:49 pm 

In the first 75 days of 2014, I have read 23 books, which averages out to a book every 3+ days. My reading pace in 2013 was about the same, but, for some reason, I seem to be enjoying my books more this year. Not the calibre of book necessarily, but just the act of reading itself.

I seemed to be sort of manic last year, jumping from one book to the next, like I was in some sort of speed-reading competition. This year, however, I am taking time after each book to recall some of my favorite parts. Whatever the reason, this year has been much more enjoyable, a trend I hope continues as the year progresses.

How are your numbers this year stacking up against the last and have your reading habits changed at all?

HR

Post subject: Re: How do your 2014 reading numbers compare to last year?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:13 pm 

I'm actually reading a bit more (playing less computer games). I read about a book a day right now; according to my Goodreads challenge I am at 34% of my 150 goal.

I set it up in late January so not bad for 2 months :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 am 

I'm about the same. I read at the same pace pretty much all the time. I wish I could read faster but unless I give up cleaning my house entirely or watching TV entirely, it's about a book a week for me depending on the size of the book. Really books go faster but that's generally because I just sit on the dust and dirt until I'm finished LOL.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:30 am 

My reading seems to be like HR's this year in enjoyment. I am reading less but am enjoying it more. Savoring as compared to last year's racing to finish books. I've always loved reading but now somehow it's even more of a pleasure.
I also am starting to be more selective. Every once in a while I decide I want to read fantasy and science fiction. So I get some books from the library, start some, skim some and again say I really don't like the genre(s). So for now, at least, I want to skip those and concentrate on my favorite genres- mysteries and romance. I hope to read a lot of mysteries- stand alones and series. As for romance, the only ones I have been reading are the Harlequin medical romances which I subscribe to- get six a month- and am thinking of discontinuing this. These I can speed through.
And reading some new fiction books, best-sellers will be wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 pm 

Knocking on wood as I say this, but my reading has gotten off to a good start this year and I hope it stays that way! I have read 24 books, and really enjoyed every book I have picked up.

I am reading books I really want to read. I had a bunch of Beverly Barton books, and when she passed away I couldn't bring myself to read them. Well, I am on book 2 of 5, and can hardly put them down. I will be sad once I finish, since there will be no more. I will have to look for another awesome suspense author I like as well as Ms. Barton.

Last year I just had too much going on with my dad for reading to be enjoyable. I hope he remains stable through the summer months and in to fall, because a year ago I didn't even have time to notice what day it was! Plus I get really cranky when my reading time is taken away.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm 

I'm actually reading more this year. I am on the computer less and am more selective about what I am watching on TV - so I have more time to read. :)

I'm no where near my levels in 2011 and prior - but chances are I will never get back there. I just don't have the spare time that I used to have when I lived so close to work. But I wouldn't change my job for anything!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:00 pm 

My numbers are up mostly because I'm reading more on my Kindle and it took a bit to figure out word count to book pages. I've gotten quite a few books between 150-200 pages, so I go through those pretty fast. But I've come across some new authors that I like, so it's good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 pm 

I was going strong, but as the weather gets nicer I have less time to read. I'm probably on par for last year's numbers.