Post subject: Nora Roberts' Trilogies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:30 am 

If you have read Born in..., the dream trilogy, and the Key books- what do you think of them. Which did you like best?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Nora Roberts' Trilogies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 am 

I'm funny with her trilogies. Some I liked, some I didn't. The key books -- I loved the first one but wasn't that wild about the other 2. I have not read the other series that you mentioned. I loved the Jewels of the Sea trilogy (I'm not sure that's the name but it was Irish), the Garden Trilogy, The Boonsboro trilogy and especially, the Chesapeake Bay series (I don't think it was a trilogy). The 3 sisters, I didn't like the last 2 but loved the first.

Still I generally, give them a try because I think she writes well. The Born series and the Dream series -- are they good?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:03 pm 

I have not read the Born In series.

I have read both the Dream series and the Key series.

The key series is one of my favorites. If you can, I suggest listening to them on audio. The narrator is wonderful. I listened to all three back to back because I couldn't wait to find out happened. Flynn (Key of Light) is similar to Carter in the first Brides book (Vision in White). Kind of nerdy/handsome/witty guy that Roberts writes so well. My only negative is that Zoe, in book three is too abrasive/mean toward the hero, just like Laurel the third brides book (Savour the Moment) was too abrasive/mean toward her guy.

I also liked the Dream series. It is somewhat dated, but still very good, she keeps a thread going thru the 3 books about a legend of lost treasure that they search for at various times. Overall a keeper for me.

The Dream, Key and Brides series, have the Roberts formula for 3 or 4 women bonding to help one another find love and success. They are all similar, but in a good way that keeps me reading NR's stories.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:12 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
I'm funny with her trilogies. Some I liked, some I didn't. The key books -- I loved the first one but wasn't that wild about the other 2. I have not read the other series that you mentioned. I loved the Jewels of the Sea trilogy (I'm not sure that's the name but it was Irish), the Garden Trilogy, The Boonsboro trilogy and especially, the Chesapeake Bay series (I don't think it was a trilogy). The 3 sisters, I didn't like the last 2 but loved the first.

Still I generally, give them a try because I think she writes well. The Born series and the Dream series -- are they good?

I agree, the Chesapeake Bay series is one of her best, (4 books), it's from the guy's point of view, which is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:48 pm 

I've only read a couple of her trilogies/series.

Chesapeake Bay series - Absolutely loved it.

Born in Series - Very good. Will read again someday.

Key Series - Meh. It was OK for me, but others loved it.

Gallaghers Series - Entertaining series, but not my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 pm 

I have only read a couple of her trilogies, some were better than others it just depends what the subject matter is. It's like with her regular stand alone books, some are great and some I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 am 

I've read a few. I ranked them from most enjoyable to least.
Chesapeake Bay - excellent
Concannon Sisters (Born in) – very good
Gallaghers of Ardmore –very good
In the Garden - very good
Bride Quartet - good
Dream Trilogy - ok

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 pm 

Nice to know that what I called the jewels of the sea series is really the Gallaghers of Ardmore LOL. I think maybe Jewels of the Sea was the name of one of them (or not)!

I forgot about the Bride series -- loved it. I could taste the food, smell the flowers and see the pictures. The wedding planner's book was my least favorite. That happens a lot for me. I love the first books and can't wait for the last and then to be disappointed.

I started her Dark Witches trilogy not expecting to like it and loved it. So I'm waiting for the next book.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:52 pm 

Her Stars of Mithra trilogy is on sale at Barnes and Noble.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:02 am 

Thanks everyone for your input. Last year I read the Stars of Mithra. I loved the first, didn't like the second, The third was good but somehow didn't tie the trilogy together IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:27 pm 

Chesapeake Bay series is my all time favorite...love it! Her Garden series was also good---especially liked Blue Dahlia. I also liked her Dream series. And also her Sign of Seven Trilogy--Blood Brothers, The Hollow, and Pagan Stone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:51 pm 

Chesapeake is my favorite series of hers. Loved it when she came back and wrote the 4th book about Seth!

The In the Garden trilogy is my next favorite, the MacGregors, the Key and Brides series too.

Of course, my absolute favorite of anything Nora writes is the In Death series, and am about to start the 38th book that just came out this past week.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:07 pm 

Ditto to the Chesapeake & the Born Series. Excellent trilogies.

The MacGregor series of books were also good reads for myself.

Please don't ask why... lol... it's been so long since they've been read and I never did keep a journal. I just go on what I have in my storage bins & those books I've kept them all. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:07 pm 

The trilogies I have enjoyed are:

THree Sisters Island - my favorite series (so far)
The Key Trilogy
In the Garden - second favorite
Sign of Seven
Cousin's O'Dwyer (Dark Witch)

As you can see - I like the trilogies with just a touch of magic in them. I have never read any of her stright romance trilogies.

I discovered JD Robb a couple of years ago (thanks to all here who recommended the books) and I am at book #33 (I think) - this is probably my ALL TIME FAVORITE series - I love the entire cast of characters.

I also enjoy her stand alones - but not all of them. She's had a couple that I was sure that someone else had written. :shock: and I don't think I have read anything written prior to The Three Fates - 2002.