Post subject: Tracking Your Reading
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:02 pm 

I'm sure this conversation has come up a time or two but I'm curious and want to have a discussion!! :lol:

Do you track the books that you've read? Do you use websites, journals, notebooks, spreadsheets, computer programs? What information do you include?

I love being nosy! Lol. I am a hopeless book shopping fiend. It's horrible and I'm trying more and more to use my library! Yay for free (not really but I don't feel the price I pay) books!

Okay, I pretty much use ALL of the methods I listed up there. I love compiling data. It soothes me in some weird way. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I update pretty regularly. I track my reading at BookLikes, GoodReads, LibraryThing, and Paperbackswap. I track my series at FictFact. I have Book Collectorz which is really more for inventory but I also use it for rating books too. Lastly I have a journal called The Book Lover's Journal. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Lovers-Journal-Reading-Organizer/dp/1441304827/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382205417&sr=8-1&keywords=the+book+lover%27s+journal.

Call me paranoid but I love this hobby so much that if I lost that information I'd be devastated. Clearly I'd get over it but this way if my computer crashes, a web site goes down (or erases my stuff in the case of GoodReads), or I have a house fire, there is always a back up somewhere. :D I have to say though that instead of buying another journal I'm tempted just to get one of those big journals from Barnes and Noble and fill one of those up. It would take me years!

How about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Tracking Your Reading
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:43 am 

Sorry, I was just going through the sites and found this question.
I have different colored index cards and I go by author name. I put the date, my ratings, and a blurb I describe the book with. I put my spoilers on there, too.
My son-in-law thinks I should computerize it. I don't know how and was embarrassed to ask.
I do use Goodreads and have a board there that I just started called My Books. I love that site. Sooo I guess I am computerizing them in a way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:24 pm 

I've thought about doing index cards. It's either going to be index cards or a notebook for my non digital records.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:39 pm 

Stephanie, I've been using your TBR Challenge post to keep track of my books. I then copy and paste that to a Word doc and save it. I also drop a copy in Dropbox so I have it on all my devices.

I change the title to Books I've Read and I have Word docs going back to 2009.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:58 pm 

Many years ago when I first got a computer, I created a book database. I can track my wishlisted books, books I've read, rating, genre, themes, setting, blurb or review, and is it part of a series?, a keeper?, a book on my kindle?.

I also track my books "read" on both paperbackswap and Shelfari. I joined Goodreads a while ago, but still haven't added my books to it. I've tried importing a couple of times, but it hasn't worked yet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm 

Robin in PA wrote:
Many years ago when I first got a computer, I created a book database. I can track my wishlisted books, books I've read, rating, genre, themes, setting, blurb or review, and is it part of a series?, a keeper?, a book on my kindle?.

I also track my books "read" on both paperbackswap and Shelfari. I joined Goodreads a while ago, but still haven't added my books to it. I've tried importing a couple of times, but it hasn't worked yet.

I was using Shelfari but haven't been over there in over a year.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 pm 

Danielle wrote:
Robin in PA wrote:

I was using Shelfari but haven't been over there in over a year.

The groups in Shelfari are very active (which I like), but it does have problems. The problems seem to have become worse since Amazon took it over. Am wondering if they will just bought it to let it flounder or if they actually have plans for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 pm 

I love the Microsoft Database program. I can't remember what it's called but I know I don't have it anymore. :( For me there is something soothing about compiling data in a spreadsheet.

I forgot to mention that I copy my Excel spreadsheet into Google Docs so I can access it from anywhere with a wifi connection.

Robin, Amazon just recently acquired GoodReads as well. It's what sparked my interest in discussing this again. GoodReads recently decided to delete the books and reviews off of members shelves if it had been flagged inappropriate. That means that if a bunch of the drama causing authors flagged a review it was deleted. I'm saying some of the reviews weren't inappropriate, for all I know they were inappropriate. It's just that I've decided not to trust this one site to hold my reading records. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 pm 

Keeping track of my reading/books in any way, shape, or form is just way too organized for me. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 am 

I started a excel spreadsheet in 1993 to keep track of the RT magazine books coming out. (At that time, 150 new books seemed like a lot!) I have my wish list, and then I keep track of the books I've read, my library or the public one. I now keep track of the books on my kindle, and the books I have on my computer through allromanceebooks and smashwords. I like having my record in one place even though my books aren't.

My primary reason for starting it is so that I don't buy a book twice. I absolutely hate that!! Especially now with reprints, new covers and kindle versions--it's easy to think it's new.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm 

I use Shelfari. I'm on Goodreads as well, but I use that mainly for the groups. When I get my new issue of RT I add the books that I'm interested in on my Shelfari shelves. When I buy a book I track it as bought. When I read a book I track it as read and rate it, from one to five stars. I don't review my books, since I figure reviews are for other people and Shelfari is for myself, though other people check out my shelves. I also tag my books and have close to 200 tags right now. I also mark books as favorites.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." -- Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:38 pm 

I use http://www.GoodReads.com. It's the greatest place on earth for listing your books. I used to write the books I've read down in a journal but got too lazy for it so I use GoodReads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:45 am 

I'm just an old fashioned journal girl. I write it down. I don't write much, just enough to hit the hot points (name, author, my rating, sensuality rating, publish date {very important!} and a small synopsis). I started one I found back in 2002 and it went through 2003 but I must have stopped for a while. Then I started again in late 2007 and I've kept straight on since then and I'm on my second full journal now.

It's funny - looking way back at that 2002/2003 journal - boy have my tastes changed!! :D

Since I started again in 2007 - it's been fairly consistent. It's fun to go back and look. If I was keeping track in a computer format I know I would never go back and look at it. Too much like work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:14 am 

Just a plain, old word document entitled Books read in (current year). I list them numbered by title, then author, names of major characters and a rating, Sometimes I add a comment like "worst/best book this author has ever written". I would love to have it alphabetized by author and there's a way to set that up. Maybe in 2014. I don't know the first thing about spreadsheets so maybe it's time I do that. Stephanie that journal looks wonderful but I don't want another book taking up space. I'd love to see a computer program with that setup.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 pm 

I'm thinking of keeping a simple notebook and continuing my online sites as well. The book journal takes too much extra time when I'm already reviewing books on my blog.

There were a couple of free software programs when I ran a search for book tracking software there were a few options that popped up and and looked like they might be a good fit but I really want my Microsoft Access back! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 pm 

I tried Microsoft Access for awhile, but ended up with my good old Excel spreadsheets.

I have a spreadsheet for books read 2009 - present.
Another one for the TBR. Another one for current reading year only, and another one for all of the RT challenges.. Each spreadsheet has different columns for whatever I want to track on each one. I do track if the book is a Kindle book or paper book, in the event I have to look for it sometime down the line.

Then, I keep a handwritten journal of my top reads for each year that goes back about 12 years, and has about ten books a year.

I have always been a note taker/list maker, going back to my crafting days. I note all of my stitching and knitting projects too, (with a lot of specifics) so of course that carried over to books. With all of my craft stuff, and working in that industry for 23 years, people will pick my brain about this or that. So I am always happy I kept those notes!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:46 pm 

Stephanie M wrote:
I'm sure this conversation has come up a time or two but I'm curious and want to have a discussion!! :lol:

Do you track the books that you've read? Do you use websites, journals, notebooks, spreadsheets, computer programs? What information do you include?

I love being nosy! Lol. I am a hopeless book shopping fiend. It's horrible and I'm trying more and more to use my library! Yay for free (not really but I don't feel the price I pay) books!

Okay, I pretty much use ALL of the methods I listed up there. I love compiling data. It soothes me in some weird way. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I update pretty regularly. I track my reading at BookLikes, GoodReads, LibraryThing, and Paperbackswap. I track my series at FictFact. I have Book Collectorz which is really more for inventory but I also use it for rating books too. Lastly I have a journal called The Book Lover's Journal. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Book-Lovers-Journal-Reading-Organizer/dp/1441304827/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382205417&sr=8-1&keywords=the+book+lover%27s+journal.

Call me paranoid but I love this hobby so much that if I lost that information I'd be devastated. Clearly I'd get over it but this way if my computer crashes, a web site goes down (or erases my stuff in the case of GoodReads), or I have a house fire, there is always a back up somewhere. :D I have to say though that instead of buying another journal I'm tempted just to get one of those big journals from Barnes and Noble and fill one of those up. It would take me years!

How about you guys?

:D I like to keep track by keeping a journal with my notes and summary of thoughts about the book and then I post all my writings on any discussions forums that I am on. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:58 pm 

I am about as low-tech as you can get when it comes to charting the books I read. I use a Hilroy spiral notebook and include the following information:

--the date I finished reading the book
--the title, author's name and if the book was an ebook (K) or a paperback (PB)
--the names and occupations of the main characters
--my rating (1-5/5 stars) and brief notes on the story arc(s), heat level, etc. (so I do not end up reading the same book again, which I have done on occasion)

HR