Post subject: Do poorly edited ebooks diminish your reading experience?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:50 am 

I recently read an ebook entitled 'Stalked' by R.A. (Ruth Ann) McCormick and, I kid you not, documented at least one error on EVERY page. Whether grammatical, spelling, punctuation, composition, etc., I found myself looking for the errors and not really paying attention to what was not a bad book. At one point, a character named 'Madison' was referred to as 'Meredith'. The use of 'you're' instead of 'your' about drove me nuts. 'Too' instead of 'to' was also very prevalent. The misuse of quotation marks made it very difficult to differentiate between actual conversation and internal dialogue.

I would have thought that the author, or someone hired to do the job, would take the time to make sure that the text was as close to perfect as possible before publishing. I get the feeling that some authors rely on spell-check to edit their manuscripts which does absolutely nothing to address other errors.

Does poor editing bother you as much as it does me?

HR

Post subject: Re: Do poorly edited ebooks diminish your reading experience
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 am 

Yes, yes, YES! Drives me crazy. I am a fast reader and it is like slamming into a brick wall when I stumble on them. I have to read the sentence or paragraph over and over sometimes.

One that gets me every time is when they mix up he/she. :evil: Grammatical errors bother me more than plot/time line... no wait, they all drive me crazy. :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 am 

oh yeah! I read a book on the weekend that was poorly edited, words were missing, transposed, misspelt.

It was the author's debut book and I feel she has promise (the story was good, characters a bit over the top) but I'm not sure if I will read a second.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:52 am 

A resounding YES! It pulls me right out of the book.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:23 pm 
Subscriber

Deleted - sorry, I didn't realize until after I posted that the question was about ebooks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm 

*ANOTHER POOR EDITING ALERT* 'My Charming Protector' by Tory Lynn--this one was almost as bad as 'Stalked' (see original post).

Please understand that I am not knocking the author's ability to tell a story, just the half-a$$ed attention to detail which diminishes said story for readers.

HR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:28 pm 

Yep! And I noticed the ones that are the most poorly edited are Amazon published, which really ticks me off. If it weren't for the fact that I love my free 2day shipping, I'd probably cancel my amazon prime membership.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:47 pm 

Yeah. I'm kind of grammar police. I hate poorly edited books.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:17 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
Yeah. I'm kind of grammar police. I hate poorly edited books.

Kyle--I would suggest that you steer well clear of the two books I have mentioned as they would drive you around the bend :lol: !

*WELL EDITED BOOK ALERT* 'My Everything' by J.R. (Julia) Barrett. Only 2 minor problems I could see--in a couple of instances, 'god' was not capitalized and a character named 'Rodger' became 'Roger'.

HR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:00 pm 

Love's Protector by Charisma Chloe was like this. Thankfully I got it for free and didn't pay good money for it. There were missing sentences, grammar errors and a lot of other errors in the book. I can't remember the exact words, but the author had mistakes like, "come hear", instead of "come here". I might try the next book in the series at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 am 

Daisymau wrote:
Love's Protector by Charisma Chloe was like this. Thankfully I got it for free and didn't pay good money for it.

All the books I mentioned were free as well, so I do not feel like I got financially snookered. I do feel undervalued as a reader, though, when the author, editor or publisher (whoever is responsible) does not deem us important enough to expend the energy to present a cogent coherent final draft. In fact, the more I think about it, the more insulted I get :shock: .

HR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:26 pm 

One thing I hate about downloaded books and this is not really an editing problem but probably a formatting issue - random squares that appear in a word or for punctuation!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm 

I've noticed more of these on Amazon. Some aren't that bad, and I can just gloss over them.

I did recently read Grim by M.K. Eidem, which was a wonderful book but had a lot of grammar problems. I did know about it from the reviews, but I read it anyway. Hopefully the author goes back to fix the mistakes because the book was really enjoyable.

I don't think mistakes would make me not finish a book, but I would still read a follow up to Grim if it came out.

I have noticed on AllRomanceEbooks, that authors will go and do edits and then if the book was bought by someone they got the new version for free. It has not happened to me, but I thought that was a nice idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 pm 

ameliad wrote:
One thing I hate about downloaded books and this is not really an editing problem but probably a formatting issue - random squares that appear in a word or for punctuation!

I just had one just like this. I knew what they were for, but it still threw me off kilter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm 

I can ignore a few slight things, but certain things pull me out. I think an author should know the difference between:

your & you're
their & there & they're
to & too
lose & loose
could care less & couldn't care less

There are more, but that's some of my biggies.

Also the phrase "a person that...", I was taught it was "a person who...".

Authors are people, too, so I am very lenient on things, but the basics should be standard for any author.

One other thing that takes me right out of the story is mixing up character names. I always think "when did they get there?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:08 pm 

oh may yes. and especially since i majored in english. can't tell since i got sick, but yes i did. sigh...

i read "grim" also and loved the story line. can't remember the author but the mispellings and grammatical errors were so bad, my mind went blank.

one sentence had a repeat of several words and i actually stumbled. then they changed the character lisa was talking to from callan to lukken then back. she was actually talking to callan but they changed it...

and missing periods and overall bad editing. well actually there was NO editing.

what are the publisher's thinking? letting that go to press. i would have been so infuriated if i was that author.

it reflects very badly upon the author or whoever does the editing.

i love that book and have read it numerous times but each time i still go "ick..."

i'm so hoping that author does some sequels but i'll be looking for edits you can be sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:52 pm 

I am almost done reading Grim by M.K. Eidem right now. The story is good and keeps me turning the pages but oh my, the errors are numerous and atrocious. Poor sentence structure, wrong words, he/she mix up, wrong names... *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm 

Wouldn't they have at least a friend or somebody to read it for them? Heck. I'd do it for free....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:18 pm 

Grim was the first book I've ever read with such obvious editing problems, I'm wondering if the wrong version was put out there. I've since seen other author's notes that a reissue was done because that had happened.

Especially because I bought this book after being featured by Amazon in an email I got. I wonder what Amazon's critieria is for highlighting a book?

For some reason I am on a science fiction obsession, so I'm not sure how much more "kidnapped heroines from earth to populate the galaxy" I can handle. LOL

Any recommendations would be appreciated. (especially well-edited stories!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

randi wrote:
Wouldn't they have at least a friend or somebody to read it for them?

Randi--I have noticed some authors offer thanks to a person or persons for helping proof-read/edit their book. The end result was a final draft which had far fewer (if any) errors. How long can it take to run through a chapter and check for mistakes? Better yet, why not just write it correctly the first time around?

I said in an earlier post I feel insulted that no one with the authority to do so bothers to make sure the copy is correct before publishing. I wonder what would transpire if all we readers demanded our money back for a poorly edited ebook (if they were not free)?

HR