Post subject: Trilogies that suddenly turn into a series
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 pm 
Subscriber

I have patiently waited for book 3 in Lisa Renee Jones Inside Out trilogy so I could read them all back to back. Now I'm finding out that there are 2 more books planned!! Grrrr... Is this becoming a new trend? I know this happened with Sylvia Day's Crossfire books too.

Post subject: Re: Trilogies that suddenly turn into a series
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm 

Yes, this irritates me,too. If while writing the triology, the author has an idea for a "spin-off" of the original trilogy; that's ok with me. I just consider them another series altogether.

I waited to read the Crossfire series until the third one was about to release and then found out there are two more (and the third one left you hanging which TICKS ME OFF) without firm publication dates. I know the author said that she didn't want to release a publication date to her fans because she did that with the 3rd one & the publisher kept pushing the date back. So she was going to release the info within 30 days of it's release. I wouldn't have minded if she'd have "ended" the third book & then went into another plot line or went further into the future for the next two. But I hate cliffhangers!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 pm 
Subscriber

OHREADER wrote:
Yes, this irritates me,too. If while writing the triology, the author has an idea for a "spin-off" of the original trilogy; that's ok with me. I just consider them another series altogether.

I waited to read the Crossfire series until the third one was about to release and then found out there are two more (and the third one left you hanging which TICKS ME OFF) without firm publication dates. I know the author said that she didn't want to release a publication date to her fans because she did that with the 3rd one & the publisher kept pushing the date back. So she was going to release the info within 30 days of it's release. I wouldn't have minded if she'd have "ended" the third book & then went into another plot line or went further into the future for the next two. But I hate cliffhangers!

I couldn't agree with you more - greedy publishers... :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:58 am 

The whole series thing has got out of hand. Nearly every book on the market in YA or romance is a series. I like series but is there ever an end or closure for a reader?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:35 pm 

I used to be much better about keeping track of the series I was reading so that I could be ready for the next book. (At one time around 10 series I was reading in the different genres.) Now they have all blurred together--military, paranormal, end-of-world, too many to keep track of now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:59 pm 

I still like them but only when the author's indicated the number of books up front. Lara Adrian did that with her Breed series- she intended to write 10 books and wrote only 10 books, she finished all the storylines and tied them up nicely in the final book. The new books she's writing now are spin offs with different storylines although I haven't read them yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:08 pm 

I guess I am in the minority when it comes to series - because I love them!! I was very said when Lara Adrian's Breedmate series came to an end. I tried to read the first in the spinoff series, but I couldn't get through it - I thought....Mira??....the young girl desrved a better romantic partner than the way that it was written.

I just got into the Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and I just love them, I hope that the In Death series by JD Robb NEVER ends!! And I have also enjoyed all of the Jeainene Frost series with Bones - however I think that one has finally ended. :(

That being said, there are some series that I have stopped reading because I just lost interest - the Dark Hunter series, the Brotherhood of the Dagger series and a few others - but overall I would rather read a long well written series than a bunch of stand alone books.

I guess the only exception to that are the romantic suspense stand alones - those I like. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 pm 

I agree, Gypsy! I like the series to keep going as long as it stays fresh. I just finished Night Broken by Mercy Thompson and really enjoyed it. I have the new Cat/Bones book but haven't gotten to it yet. I will read the new J.R. Ward book because I like that whole group and want to see what they're up to. Also the Kristen Ashley Rock Chick series. (I'm glad I never watched soap operas!!)

I, too, have stopped reading some of the series--Janet Evanovich and Sherrily Kenyon off the top of my head. I probably would have stopped the BDB too if it wasn't such a guilty pleasure!

However, there are series I would never start because there are too many of them now--JD Robb and Lee Child--I think I've read the first 2 but then stopped. I'd feel like I'd have to do a marathon reading to catch up, and then it gets really old.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:01 pm 

HeatherBrown wrote:
I agree, Gypsy! I like the series to keep going as long as it stays fresh. I just finished Night Broken by Mercy Thompson and really enjoyed it. I have the new Cat/Bones book but haven't gotten to it yet. I will read the new J.R. Ward book because I like that whole group and want to see what they're up to. Also the Kristen Ashley Rock Chick series. (I'm glad I never watched soap operas!!)

I, too, have stopped reading some of the series--Janet Evanovich and Sherrily Kenyon off the top of my head. I probably would have stopped the BDB too if it wasn't such a guilty pleasure!

However, there are series I would never start because there are too many of them now--JD Robb and Lee Child--I think I've read the first 2 but then stopped. I'd feel like I'd have to do a marathon reading to catch up, and then it gets really old.

I just started the In Death/JD Robb series two years ago - I read a couple a month and they are my guilty pleasure. I just love them. I would recommend them to anyone, as well as recommending not trying to read them all at once - savor them like a find wine!!

As for Lee Child - I have read the first and while I enjoyed it and will go on to read the rest, I feel no urgency to get through them.. They are like a palate cleaner for me. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:33 am 

The In Death series has gotten such consistently good reviews here, maybe I will try doing them slowly. At least they'll be easy to get at the library. I can get a list of the books in order, so that will help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 pm 

HeatherBrown wrote:
The In Death series has gotten such consistently good reviews here, maybe I will try doing them slowly. At least they'll be easy to get at the library. I can get a list of the books in order, so that will help.

Let me know what you think of the In Death series - as I said, no need to read them all at once - I actually enjoy only reading a couple a month and letting them settle into my memory - just love the cast of characters she has built in this series. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:03 am 

HeatherBrown wrote:

Heather--The first book is 'Naked in Death' and I must admit, while reading it, I was unsure of Eve Dallas as the heroine. She was a little hard-edged for my liking but it soon became apparent there was VERY good reason for that. As the series progresses, though, she develops a really well-rounded personality and the surrounding characters, especially Roarke (*sigh*), only serve to make this a truly fabulous series. But, be warned, the installment count is closing in on 40, so pace yourself :wink: :lol: ! If you go to Nora Roberts' website and click on the J.D. Robb tab, you will find all the books in chronological order.

HR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 pm 

40! I didn't know there was that many! I think I'll start them--thanks for the idea about going on her website to get them in chronological order.

I do like the idea of one series following one couple--do I understand that right? Or is each book about someone else in their circle? I like to see how relationships develop over time. I did like the TV show Bones for that reason, but then some of the shows got too graphic and turned me off. But that's what I like about books, my imagination about that stuff isn't that good so I can't picture it and it doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm 

It's a great series, Heather. You're going to love it. You're correct. The books follow Eve and Roarke's relationship from their first meeting. The characters grow with each book. The books are primarily mysteries, but are heavy on romance.

I know some people didn't care for the first book (I loved it). Most were totally on board by the end of the second book in the series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:18 am 

HeatherBrown wrote:
I do like the idea of one series following one couple--do I understand that right? Or is each book about someone else in their circle? I like to see how relationships develop over time.

The 'In Death' series should be right up your alley then, Heather. Eve and Roarke are at the heart of every book, including the first, 'Naked in Death'. Roarke is a suspect in Eve's case and, as tough as she is, she meets her match in the Irish charmer, much to her consternation. The supporting cast is stellar--Feeny, her mentor; Peabody, her assistant; Mavis, her friend and former grifter--to mention but a few. A nice touch--after being interrogated by Eve, Roarke finds a button that fell off her suit, and, from that moment on, he carries it in his pocket.

Read the first book and, hopefully, like many of us here on the boards, you will be hooked. Please let us know what you think. Enjoy!

HR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 pm 

Well, I'm going to start them as soon as I get the first one from the library. I printed the list off from Nora's website, and even though it looks pretty daunting, I'll begin to work my way through. Knowing me, I'll probably become obsessive about them!

Thank you all for your help--again! These boards have never led me astray when it comes to great reading.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:34 am 

HeatherBrown wrote:
I like to see how relationships develop over time.

I think that's one of the best things about the books...each book is about a month apart so in the 40 books the relationship is less than four years old. That keeps the books fresh & the relationship between Eve & Roarke still growing & still interesting.