Post subject: Rotten Endings to Books! UPDATE
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:09 am 

I just finished Love Overdue by Pamela Morsi. It's a wonderful story. No one does a small town like Pam. However, her ending sucked. The hero and the heroine got together and there was an epilogue -- 8 years later!!! However, the actual "getting together" was just implied. What a huge disappointment.

So my question -- what books that you've liked have had disappointing endings. Where you liked everything in the book but at the end you're left scratching your head wondering wth (heck LOL). Books that were excellent until the last page or two.

P.S. I got a response from Pamela Morsi and I posted it plus more about the book in the Spoiler Zone -- I'm amazed that she responded.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Re: Rotten Endings to Books! UPDATE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:04 pm 

I've read a few with horrible endings and it makes me sad. If I spend money for the book and use my little free time to read the book, it needs to be good.

Of course I've had the opposite, too, where a book isn't good except for the last few pages. (Kristan Higgins did that to me, after two books I quit reading her.)

What I really HATE is reading a book and it ruins the entire series for me (I'm hoping the next book will fix it.) This was Abigail Roux's Cut & Run series. I LOVED the first 6 books - heck the 6th is one of my all time favorite books! - but the 7th was AWFUL! Not the writing or anything, but the characters I'd grown to love acted so different. There were things done that just completely made me hate the characters and what they were doing. The only saving grace was the last scene in the book.

I'm really hoping that she can hit #8 out of the park because I've been bummed ever sense I read 7. I've been rereading the series at least twice a year, but since I read #7 I have not been able to read them again. It effectively ruined the whole series - now that I know what happens up to this point (there are two more books left in the series) I can't read the good ones without thinking about that horrible book.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:39 pm 

anastacyann wrote:
I've read a few with horrible endings and it makes me sad. If I spend money for the book and use my little free time to read the book, it needs to be good.

Of course I've had the opposite, too, where a book isn't good except for the last few pages. (Kristan Higgins did that to me, after two books I quit reading her.)

What I really HATE is reading a book and it ruins the entire series for me (I'm hoping the next book will fix it.) This was Abigail Roux's Cut & Run series. I LOVED the first 6 books - heck the 6th is one of my all time favorite books! - but the 7th was AWFUL! Not the writing or anything, but the characters I'd grown to love acted so different. There were things done that just completely made me hate the characters and what they were doing. The only saving grace was the last scene in the book.

I'm really hoping that she can hit #8 out of the park because I've been bummed ever sense I read 7. I've been rereading the series at least twice a year, but since I read #7 I have not been able to read them again. It effectively ruined the whole series - now that I know what happens up to this point (there are two more books left in the series) I can't read the good ones without thinking about that horrible book.

Unfortunately I think that happens a lot when an author has a long series. Usually, it's just some are better than others but not "horrible". But it definitely happens and I think it's because the author gets a little tired of it but the editors/publishers are pushing them to get it done. Just MHO.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:19 pm 

I can't think of of anything I've read that had a really rotten ending....except for when it ends in a cliffhanger (unless the author has a GUARANTEED contract to finish the series.) I think there was a long thread on these boards somewhere about how much most everyone hates cliffhangers.

One book I remember for it's completely shocking ending (not rotten, though) was written by Karin Slaughter. It was one of those where everything changed in the last two pages....literally, the last 2 pages! Did not see it coming! I can't say it was a rotten ending, though. And the subsequent books in the series are still really good.

The only book I can remember reading that I really disliked (other than that unresolved cliffhanger thing) was a book where the hero in book one was transformed into an unredeemable villain in book 2 with no explanation for the complete 180 change in character.

Most of the time, I'm willing to take the journey the author planned & just enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:44 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
Unfortunately I think that happens a lot when an author has a long series. Usually, it's just some are better than others but not "horrible". But it definitely happens and I think it's because the author gets a little tired of it but the editors/publishers are pushing them to get it done. Just MHO.

Well, I know in this instance she planned for 9 books total and is still on course. She lost her co-writer after book 4 and switched publishers after book 5. I was hopeful because I actually liked book 5 better than the others and I loved book 6. But I have noticed that while the authors love her new publisher, as a reader I think they're putting out sub-par work, shorter stories for the same price and trying to be more dark and edgy for effect. I just don't like it and the more books i read from that particular publisher the less I'm inclined to purchase.

To top it off, she's announced that when the rights revert back to her she is doing a complete rewrite of the first 5 books. And - while not expressly stated - indicated that the changes will be extreme, to the point of changing the stories.

I understand doing a rewrite because you didn't like something that is easily fixed, but keeps the meat of the novel intact. But I think it is really wrong for an author to rewrite an entire series. To me it smacks of trying to make more money off your fans - which makes me less of a loyal fan now. IMO you should just move on to another series, not try to make more money off a loyal fanbase - not that way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:01 am 

I once read a romance set on a ranch where the loveable horse was killed by a villain in the last chapter of the book, so instead of a warm fuzzy happy feeling, I literally felt sick. I was so mad I threw the book away. Not something I would ever normally do, but now I always read the endings of my books first and I'm particularly suspicious if there are animals in the books. I like my 'happily-ever-afters' for both the humans and the animals. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:53 pm 

I can't believe I forgot to mention the last book in D.D. Barant's bloodhound files series UNDEAD TO THE WORLD....I was very unhappy with the ending. It ended in a cliffhanger (heroine had to make a very important choice and the book actually ended with "I choose....." WTH!!! This was especially annoying because the author intended it as a last book in the series...not one where the publisher didn't pick up the author's contract option.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to mention the last book in D.D. Barant's bloodhound files series UNDEAD TO THE WORLD....I was very unhappy with the ending. It ended in a cliffhanger (heroine had to make a very important choice and the book actually ended with "I choose....." WTH!!! This was especially annoying because the author intended it as a last book in the series...not one where the publisher didn't pick up the author's contract option.

I remember that! I actually had all the books, but once I read your post about it I got rid of the series. I hate when authors do things like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:00 am 

anastacyann wrote:
I hate when authors do things like that.

And it's too bad,too, because I really enjoyed the whole series up until then. Even the last book was really good until the last page!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:43 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
anastacyann wrote:
I hate when authors do things like that.

And it's too bad,too, because I really enjoyed the whole series up until then. Even the last book was really good until the last page!

That's where an author loses me for life. It's the same when one decides to kill off a beloved character or do something else to be more "edgy" or "mainstream". I really hate that. I've seen it several times with authors who jump from romance into the more general fiction market. Take Kay Hooper for example when she [Bishop series/Blood Ties spoiler] killed Bishop and Miranda's baby, [end spoiler] that was it for me. I'd been less and less happy with her books, but kept buying them because they were somewhat enjoyable. After that I got rid of every one of her books that I had.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:00 pm 

Can't get much of a worse ending than the heroine dying at the end.... ("The French Bride" by Evelyn Anthony). Bummer.