Post subject: Does anyone read poetry?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:16 pm 

I'm curious if anyone here reads poetry. My mother is a poet and I will be helping her to publish her book on kindle in a few months (this isn't an advertisment by the way) she's been published before by several small presses and worked for a greeting card company years ago too. Her poetry is what I personally think of as 'traditional' though others may disagree, everyone has their own interpretation of how to classify poetry, it's mainly nature poetry with a typical A/B ryhme scheme, easy to read and fun. Also some other slightly more meaningful poems as in deeper and more thoughtful yet generally with a good ryhme scheme, and also some children's poems. I'll probably split it into two separate books, I'm still deciding.
We don't really expect a lot of sales, it's not a huge market, but I am curious who reads poetry these days, so when was the last time you read poetry and what type?

Post subject: Re: Does anyone read poetry?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:11 pm 

Oh my yes but I read the classics not modern. Browning is my favorite but byron keats and Shelley are good. Some poe...

Longfellow a little but often just miscellaneous. Just not a fan of some of the more off color rantings.

Born out of time I guess. And of course Shakespeare but some dont consider him a real poet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 pm 

Randi, some of the names of the traditional poets you mentioned has me wanting to read some poetry, it's been a long while since I read the classics. I think because when I was in High School many eons ago, we had to read war poetry in our English literature class which was so depressing I refused to read anything that wasn't light hearted after that! I do remember reading some of Shakespeare's sonnets, but it's a bit of a blur these days. I was a nanny for so long I think Dr. Suess sticks in my mind a little better! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 pm 

I enjoy poetry but haven't read it since high school. I do remember reading it to my sons when they were little---if you call it poetry---Eric Carle, Shel Silverstein, and of course Dr. Seuss.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 pm 

when we're travelling we play mind games.. you know..

who wrote so in so.

who played this character.

my husband majored in psychology so i have the advantage cause i majored in english.

he remember who wrote frankenstein and dracula of course, but otherwise not so much.

i'm a history buff also and i get him on civil war and western history. he's more modern history, wwII.

makes travelling fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:55 am 

I did enjoy some poetry I read in high school, but I really can't say I am a lover of poetry, maybe because my mind would wonder and it was harder to grasp. Isn't that an awful thing for a lover of books to admit? :oops: I read light-hearted limericks and Dr. Seuss to my children. My older son read Shakespeare before he entered high school.

I have a nephew, a perpetual student, who has written poetry and had some published. Last year he was enrolled in a creative writing class where, according to my sis, wrote some beautiful poetry. I am just waiting for him to write a novel.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:06 am 

Judy, I have to confess to being a bit of a goofball, if anyone ever starts to read a limmerick, I burst out laughing. I'm expecting it to very naughty as those are the ones I heard the most when I was a teenager :D
I love Dr. Suess, I like poems that make me smile.
I hope your nephew has lots of success with his writing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:59 pm 

L.C. wrote:
Judy, I have to confess to being a bit of a goofball, if anyone ever starts to read a limmerick, I burst out laughing. I'm expecting it to very naughty as those are the ones I heard the most when I was a teenager :D
I love Dr. Suess, I like poems that make me smile.
I hope your nephew has lots of success with his writing.

Well, I confess. Before I had my children to read Dr. Seuss too, most of the limericks I heard were not for children's ears. :oops:

Thanks for your wishes for my nephew. I hope he has success with his writing, too. He is quite artistic, loves to paint, and is a perpetual student. Fortunately for him, his wife is a career woman with a good job and lots of encouragement for his endeavors.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!