Post subject: Kindle Pricing--AARGH!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:11 am 

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands, but this particular subject bugs me. Example:

'Book X'

Digital List Price: $3.02
Print List Price: $15.63
Kindle Price: $2.42
You Save: $13.21 (85%)

Sounds good, right? The problem is they are comparing apples and oranges--i.e. print and ebook format. Why would I even consider the print price if I am looking for books to load on my Kindle? In my world, I would only save $ .60 on this book ($3.02 - $2.42). FYI, this book is available at Book Depository for $10.26, a darn sight less than $15.63.

Rant over :shock: ...

HR

Post subject: Re: Kindle Pricing--AARGH!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

This entire issue has driven me nuts since 2010, but it will be interesting to see how it all resolves now that Apple has been found guilty of collusion.

I see it as, do I want a book or an ebook? Example: Marie Force books came out first in eBook format only, now are coming out as hard copy books, at a much higher price than the eBook. However, lots of people still don't own readers or want to own readers. IMHO, they are the losers who are still willing to pay the higher price for the print book. Their choice. I have had a reader since they came out so I pretty much see it the way you do. I have already read all of Marie's books, that the rest of the print only folks are now just getting the opportunity to read. You and I have the luxury of making a choice that includes all of the options you listed!

I guess the point is to compare your buying options. If you don't have a reader, you pay the print price and the savings isn't much. Also with Nook tanking, Amazon is probably having a field day taking the opportunity to point out the cheaper price of eBooks! Marketing strategy. Nook also does not have the offering of eBooks that Amazon does, so why add them to the offering? I also assume that your example is from Amazon, so they aren't going to offer price points from other buying options.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717