Post subject: STARZ is making Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER into TV series
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:09 pm 

The rumors that have been floating around for awhile now are evidently true. Just read press release today that OUTLANDER is being made into a TV series on STARZ. They have an order for 16 episodes to be premiered in 2014. Filming is in pre-production in Scotland now. No word on casting. Loved the books, but not sure how they'll translate to television. I'm not familiar with STARZ, so don't know whether they're capable of doing justice to the books or not. I'm usually disappointed with TV (and movies) based on any book I really enjoy.

Post subject: Re: STARZ is making Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER into TV serie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:35 am 

Gabaldon is posting on her Facebook page that they've zeroed in on a Scottish actor named Sam Heughan (pronounced HEW-uhn) to play the role of Jamie. Contracts haven't been signed, but it's looking like he's the one. Gabaldon seems very excited about him: says he has the look and the acting chops.

(Since posting the news on her FB page, she has had to battle the inevitable, "Ewww! He doesn't look like MY Jamie!" comments. "He isn't beefy enough! He's too skinny! They should go with Chris Hemsworth!")

Gabaldon has seen the audition tapes and said Heughan BECAME Jamie for her in those scenes. (They chose the scene in which Jamie confronts Dougal after that first time Dougal exposed Jamie's scarred back in order to rouse the people against the English; and they chose the scene in which Jamie explains to Claire exactly WHY he is going to punish her for disobeying him. Gabaldon said that in the Dougal scene, Sam-as-Jamie was ferocious, and in the scene with Claire, Sam-as-Jamie pulled off intimacy, annoyance, firmness, fair-mindedness, and humor.)

So Gabaldon is happy, and it looks like they're making progress with the casting. (I've read that filming is supposed to start -- they hope -- in September.)

Now.... Moreso than the casting for Claire, I have to admit that I'm MOST eager to see who they choose for Frank/Jack. I imagine they'd pick one actor for both roles, but at the same time, the actor would have to play the two characters VERY differently. They're quite different, after all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:01 am 

I couldn't get into her books when they were popular but I'm very much looking forward to the series on STARZ. I think STARZ will do a much better production then the regular channel stations do.... so let's hope for the best.

Haven't read the books so I'll be less critical when the series comes out. I'm excited! Thanks for the heads-up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:50 pm 

Cigi004 wrote:
I couldn't get into her books when they were popular but I'm very much looking forward to the series on STARZ. I think STARZ will do a much better production then the regular channel stations do.... so let's hope for the best.

Haven't read the books so I'll be less critical when the series comes out. I'm excited! Thanks for the heads-up.

Me too. I really did not like the first book so I did not continue on with them but I would watch the show on Starz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:01 pm 

Cigi004 wrote:

I'm like you I didn't much care for the book but I'd definitely be interested in watching it on Starz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm 

The photoshoppers have been busy. This is actor Sam Heughan (who has officially been cast as Jamie), now with long red hair:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am 

Same for me. I tried several times but just couldn't get into the books. But, will definitely be looking forward to the series. Maybe it will entice me to go back and try to read the books again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:34 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
Cigi004 wrote:

I'm like you I didn't much care for the book but I'd definitely be interested in watching it on Starz.

Kyle I was the same way... of course they sit still in my TBR piles but I would be interested in the series :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:14 am 

I haven't read the books but will look forward to the series. Just to avoid any confusion in case anyone doesn't know this, there is a sci fi movie also called Outlander, starring Jim Caveizel, completely different story though, based on Beowulf.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:54 am 

Darn, I don't get Starz and neither does my sister. I've never read the books but I know a lot of people here love them. However, that guy is gorgeous! Plus I'd love to see the Scotland scenery. So now I'm going to have to see how much Starz will cost me extra per month LOL -- or maybe I'll be able to buy the episodes on Amazon Prime cheap.