Post subject: Inferno by Dan Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:38 pm 

The blurb from Amazon:

In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology, Robert Langdon, is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history’s most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces . . . Dante’s Inferno.

Against this backdrop, Langdon battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle that pulls him into a landscape of classic art, secret passageways, and futuristic science. Drawing from Dante’s dark epic poem, Langdon races to find answers and decide whom to trust . . . before the world is irrevocably altered.

There is a definitely something fun about reading a Dan Brown book. It's nice to have a computer handy to look up the art, maps, etc. that are in his stories. I've never been to Florence or Venice but after this book I really would like to go. However, those clues can only go so far and you have to have a plausible plot. There were some problem areas for me and the ending really stretched believability for me. On Amazon I would give this 3 stars. Not horrible but not DaVinci code or Angels and Demons for me. Better than the Lost Symbol.

This is a huge book and it took me pretty much all week to finish it. So it was a "good" for me but not "great" but I'll still read his next book. I enjoy following his clues even if they don't make a whole lot of sense.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Re: Inferno by Dan Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 pm 

I like his books as well, but I am NOT a Dante fan so I'll probably skip this one.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:49 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
I like his books as well, but I am NOT a Dante fan so I'll probably skip this one.

I've never read the Divine Comedy so I went into this unknowing. It adds to the creepiness of the story.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:20 am 

i am reading it now. It is slow going for me- don't know if it is me or him. Also, i don't remember a lot of what i read so I am jotting some info and that's slowing me down too.
I don't like the Dante theme, don't find info about him or his writing interesting.his book doesn't make me want to go to Florence or Venice- that's where they are now in my reading.
And I agree- it is no Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons.Will decide when I finish if I liked it better than the LostSymbol- I did like the Washington D.C. setting in that one.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 pm 

Gail, I should have jotted stuff down because there were times near the end I missed something LOL. I actually didn't like the Washington setting for the Lost Symbol. I'm not sure why. It's been awhile since I read it and I don't remember much other than it was about Masons. Maybe I should reread it because maybe I WOULD like it better than this one LOL. The transhumanist stuff is so "science fiction" that I felt like the ending was more like Michael Crichton.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:27 am 

It got real good after 300 pages and at page 365 it was Wow for me. Also there was one thing I figured out and felt real smart.Now for the ending- less than 100 pages to go at I hope a good pace.
More when I do finish.
Linda- I guess it is not too bad that I feel I need to jot down things and then see what happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:57 pm 

Finished the book. It was good. Not sure about how I feel about the ending. Yes, I agree with you Linda about it being Crichtonish. Your insights and comments are always wonderful and it's been fun discussing things with you.