Post subject: Rare RT 5 star book review
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm 

Somewhere I know that I read that there is a list of books that have been deemed RT "royalty" and given the very elusive 5 Star review.

I also know on that list that there is one (possibly two) books written by husband and wife team, Sharon and Tom Curtis (who wrote as "Laura London").

I just found "The Windflower" by them at a used book store and I am DYING to find out if this book is one of the rare 5 star reviews. I've tried Googling it, but I can't find the 5 star book review listing anywhere.

Does anyone know the 5 Star book review list that I am talking about? RT has since retired the 5 star rating.

Post subject: Re: Rare RT 5 star book review
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:36 pm 

Maryann J wrote:
just found "The Windflower" by them at a used book store and I am DYING to find out if this book is one of the rare 5 star reviews. I've tried Googling it, but I can't find the 5 star book review listing anywhere.

I entered "Windflower" in this website's search and it linked it to an article in April of 2010's RT entitled RT 5 Star All-Time Classics. Windflower is rated 5-stars.

If you're interested the list is:

5-STAR HISTORICALS:
Roselynde by Roberta Gellis
No Greater Love by Katherine Kingsley
The Blood of Roses by Marsha Canham
Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught
A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught
Pieces of Sky by Marianne Willman
Windflower by Laura London
Reedeming Love by Francine Rivers

5-STAR CONTEMPORARIES:
Lightning that Lingers by Sharon & Tom Curtis
Sunshine and Shadow by Sharon & Tom Curtis
A Special Man by Billie Green
Sarah's Child by Linda Howard
Trustworthy Redhead by Iris Johansen
One Lavender Evening by Karen Keast
Danger Zone by Doreen Owens Malek
A Crime of the Heart by Cheryl Reavis
One Summber by Nora Roberts
Sweet Starfire by Jayne Ann Krentz
Crystal Flame by Jayne Ann Krentz
Tell Me No Lies by Elizabeth Lowell
Eye of the Storm by Maura Seger
The Dedicated Villain by Patricia Veryan
The Devil & Ms Moody by Suzanne Forster
Miracles by Mary Kirk
Exile's End by Rachel Lee
Lost Warriors by Rachel Lee
From a Distance by Emilie Richards
Dragonslayer by Emilie Richards
The Rake and the Reformer by Mary Jo Putney
Love Bites by Margaret St George
The Skypirate by Justine Davis
The Admiral's Bride by Suzanne Brockmann

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:02 pm 

Thank you so much for finding it!!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:49 pm 

Those 5 star contemporaries must be series romance. There's no Susan Elizabeth Phillips, no Linda Howard, no Judith McNaught on that list. The Iris Johansen I've never even heard of.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 pm 

There is one Linda Howard...Sarah's Child.

You can tell though it's dated. And you can tell who was "in" with the reviewers because their names came up multiple times on the list.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 pm 

"Our friend and longtime senior reviewer Melinda Helfer, who passed away in August 2000, set the standard for the 5-star rating and reserved it for very rare and special books that transcend the boundaries of the romance genre.

Any reviewer who wanted to bestow the coveted 5-star rating on a book had to first send it to Melinda. If Melinda felt the book met the rigid standard she set for the 5, then the book received a 5. Melinda was determined to maintain the integrity of the 5-star rating and would not allow it to be given out freely.

Although there are between 120 and 150 new romances published each month, Melinda had given only 25 books a 5 rating throughout the past two decades!

Our Historical Romance senior reviewer Kathe Robin gave her first five rating to Roberta Gellis for her novel Roselynde, in January 1994. Kathe Robin is very conservative with what she determines a classic--a book that stands the test of time--and has only given a total of six 5-star ratings in two decades. All six were read by Melinda who agreed and approved the rating.

Shortly after Melinda's death, we retired the five-star rating in order to maintain the integrity of its high standard.

Today our reviewers use the 4 1/2 Gold to spotlight those books they feel go beyond our 4 1/2 stars (Exceptional) rating. (Today's 4 1/2 Gold rating is used more frequently than the 5 rating ever was and in no way takes the place of a 5 rating.)

We sincerely hope that those authors whose books have received a 5-star rating appreciate the honor and the recognition, knowing that their books will forever remain classics for all romance fans."**

**I cut & pasted the above from the beginning of the article RT All-Star Classics listing the 5-star books.

If you type "windflower" in the search engine here, It comes up with the two articles in the April 2010 issue of RT BOOK REVIEWS..the 5-Star Classics & the RT All-Time Favorites. The RT All-Time Favorites lists the books by year starting in 1982 to 2000 & then the 4 1/2 Gold/Top Picks ratings from 2001 to 2008. If you click on them, you can look at the lists. (too many in the All-Time Favs article to cut & paste or list here.)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
Those 5 star contemporaries must be series romance. There's no Susan Elizabeth Phillips, no Linda Howard, no Judith McNaught on that list. The Iris Johansen I've never even heard of.

Yes, almost all of them are series: Loveswept, Silhouette, Harlequin (Intimate Moments, American, Special Edition, Language of Love), & Topaz. The 2 Maura Seger books were published by Worldwide Library in 1985 & 1986 & I don't know if they were series or not. The 2 Jayne Ann Krentz' were published by Grand Central Publishing in the 90's as re-issues of books published under the name "Amanda Glass" in the 80's so I don't know if they were originally series or not. The most recent publication date any of the books on the 5-Star contemporary list I could find was 1999...the rest were in the 80's and early to mid-90's.

If you check out the RT All-Time Favorites Listing (in the same April 2010 magazine), it lists 4 books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips: RISEN GLORY from 1984, IT HAD TO BE YOU from 1994, DREAM A LITTLE DREAM from 1998, and BREATHING ROOM from 2002. It lists 6 for Linda Howard: MIDNIGHT RAINBOW from 1986, DIAMOND BAY from 1987, MCKENZIE'S MOUNTAIN from 1989, MACKENZIE'S MISSION from 1992, SON OF THE MORNING from 1997, and MR. PERFECT from 2001. There were 3 books by Judith McNaught on the list: ONCE AND ALWAYS from 1986, TENDER TRIUMPH from 1986 & SOMETHING WONDERFUL from 1988. There are 15 pages of books listed in the article which does include the "biggies" like Nora Roberts, Linda Lael Miller, Johanna Lindsey, Jude Deveraux, Kay Hooper, Sandra Brown, Heather Graham, Catherine Coulter, Julie Garwood, Jane Feather, Diana Gabaldon, Anne Stuart, Tami Hoag, Stella Cameron, Jo Beverly, Cathy Maxwell, Stephanie Laurens, Teresa Medeiros, Connie Brockway, Mary Balogh...and many more. One thing I found interesting was there was no mention of Kathleen Woodiwiss or Laurie McBain who were favorites of mine "back in the day." :)