Post subject: Dead Ever After Reviews
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:22 pm 

I just read the reviews for the last installment in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I haven't read it yet but geez-- 1 1/2 stars average? That's really pathetic. My sister started it and she told me that she thinks True Blood has ruined the series for her. She may be right. I'm reserving judgment but getting the book from the library in a few weeks (I'm #37 on the list).

If it's true, it's sad. It was such a good series but I could see she was taking a different direction with her last short "sookie" story. I haven't read all the spoilers (the reviews are full of them) but I've read enough to know that it's going to be disappointing.

Has anyone read it yet?

Post subject: Re: Dead Ever After Reviews
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:13 pm 

She lost me as a reader with book 9 and I got that from the library. Now I just read the reviews since I am still curious. I just want the spoilers :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:58 pm 

Oliva wrote:
She lost me as a reader with book 9 and I got that from the library. Now I just read the reviews since I am still curious. I just want the spoilers :twisted:

I can't remember which one I read last to be honest, but I too, burned out awhile ago. I want to read the spoilers too. LOL

I tried watching True Blood and after a couple of seasons, and the fact that it seemed to veer further and further from the books, I lost interest there also.

Not to place all the blame on my burn out on this series, but lately I find myself tiring of long time stories in several different genres. Love Laura Griffin, but I bought the last two "Tracer" books and wound up trading them without reading. Same thing with Kat Martin's "Against the..." and a couple others too. I wish they would stop series at six at least. Three preferably, for series. The more I read, the more I find I prefer single books.

For me, it's easier to stick with a series longer if instead of being written about friends or same time situations, the series is written more along the lines of a saga, of children and their children, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm 

There's a new ebook publisher who has on their submissions page that series not be any longer than...5, I think they said, because the sales start dropping after 3. I think they're right.

http://cindy-betweenthepages.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm 

Oh no... that's not good.

I'm still going to read the book so I'll let you know when I'm done what I thought. Waiting on my book from Amazon. I only buy HB's for my favorites and I still consider Sookie a fave.
The series will be missed by me.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:26 pm 

I didn't read last year's book. My intention with this year's was to go to the bookstore on release day, read the ending first, and then decide whether or not I wanted to read the book. But a week or so ago I read the spoiler online -- the one about how the book ends -- and that solves that dilemma. Won't bother reading the book at all.

I never LOVED the books. I started reading them after watching True Blood, and even then, I started with the 4th book...which was the first one in which Eric featured heavily and started to emerge as Sookie's love interest. As I continued to read the series, I did so for Eric-and-Sookie...not for the books themselves.

So yeah, not thrilled to hear what has happened.

There's no question the author has the right to do whatever she wants with her book. But readers have the right to express an opinion. Are some of those opinions pretty hateful? Yeah. And I don't think people should be going to Harris' Facebook page and making ad hominem attacks. But I don't really feel a lot of sympathy for her.

I also don't think this is going to have any negative impact on her. I've seen the Publishers Weekly annual reports. She sells something like 900,000 copies of each new Sookie book. Even if she takes a hit by a quarter-million copies or so of this particular book -- doubtful -- she's still going to dance all the way to the bank, and any publisher out there would be happy to sign an author who consistently sells as many books as she does.

But as for this reader, nope. No more.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am 

I'm with Cigi, and have hung on for the entire ride. I love the books, have not grown bored with them, but I do think it's time to end the series and glad Charlaine Harris made the decision to do so. My book came Tuesday, and I saved last year's to read before this one, so those will be up next.

Heroes and Heartbreakers had a ton of spoilers - I don't think I have seen that many spoilers ever! But I can honestly say that I have not read them, or the end of the book. I will stand strong!!! I don't like my books ruined by reading the last few pages. I've been with the series from the beginning so I don't want to ruin the end at this point.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:05 am 

I stopped reading this series about 3-4 years ago...

Never even attempted the TV series.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:44 pm 

I read the first 3 books in the series. After that I just kind of lost interest in them.