Post subject: Second book = Same story different POV?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:04 pm 

I've come across a few of these. So basically author writes a story, from the POV of heroine, then releases another book, same story, from the Heroes POV or v/v..

I seem to have downloaded a title or two, because the book looks good, then while researching the author, find out that the "second" book is actually the same as the first, just with different POV! Would I want to read the same story again, unless it was awesome.

Thoughts? Have you ready any like this??? What is the basis for this do you think?

Post subject: Re: Second book = Same story different POV?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:44 am 

Cheyenne McCray's 'Wild Borders' is on my keeper shelf. Not too long ago, I read her book 'Kade: Armed and Dangerous' and, other than different character names, the story was identical. I believe the same has been done with other 'Wild' titles--renaming the main characters and retitling (i.e. 'Clay', 'Zach', 'Luke'). I do not know if this was done with the approval of the author or if it was the publisher's call. Regardless, it smacks of double-dipping to me.

HR

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 am 

I know from the talk on various forums that Jamie Mcguire reissued Beautiful Disaster from a hero's POV and titled it Walking Disaster. I think Julia Quinn also did the same with one of her books, although I am not sure about JQ.

I don't like this trend. I think the different POV version should be FREE as a thank you to the loyal fans.

In a way I feel cheated and used, because I think it is lazy writing intended only to rip off loyal fans. The effort and energy that has been put in that kind of book should have been spent on a completely new book and characters.

I have never bought a book like the one you describe, nor do I intend to.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm 

I agree. Don't like it either. When you read a really great book and then the sequel is the other POV, it seems to lessen the impact or strength of the first IMO.

And while it may not be true, it also attaches the illusion of greed. Good seller, easy money.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm 

I was frustrated with Michelle Pillow's Dragon Lord series. Each brother had his own book but the time frames overlapped with each other and I ended up skimming huge sections of the books. I felt cheated as well. Way too much page time was spent repeating scenes from prior books.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 pm 

I've never experienced this before. However, I'm currently re-reading the Fifty Shades series and I'd love to read the series from Christian's point of view. I love that she added a bit of that at the end as an extra in the last book.

Lorrie