Post subject: Lover At Last
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:33 am 

I finally finished this huge book. I really enjoyed it.... to a point. If she would have cut maybe 200 pages of it, I would have been happier. Iam and Trez -- save it for another book. Assail -- another book. Xcor and Layla -- another book. All these side stories diluted the Quinn and Blay story so much I wanted to scream "get on with it".

Not to mention that I had trouble remembering all of the characters and had to rely on a cheat sheet: http://bookthingo.com.au/black-dagger-b ... od-series/

Shadows? I couldn't remember any Shadows. sHisbe's? WTH is that? Luchas? How am I supposed to remember all this? No wonder JRW has bodyguards. Some of her fans might want to smack her. I think she believes she's living in Caldwell surrounded by Lessers.

I would give this a Very good (4 stars) rather than a 5. The sex scenes with Quinn and Blay were surprisingly romantic to me. The whole "setting up for the next book" scenes with all the other characters was a mood killer though.

Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. Fill your glass again, with a merry face and contented heart. Our life on it, but your Christmas shall be merry, and your new year a happy one! -- Dickens

Post subject: Re: Lover At Last
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:38 am 

I loved the book Linda. It was 5 stars for me. I like how Ward includes various storylines in her books. I think spreading some couples stories over several books really enhances the characters. No one would have bought into Qhuinn and Blay as a couple if we hadn't got to know them since they were introduced in the third or fourth books. And, there relationship has pretty much been covered in the last 5 books in this series.

Besides the Qhuinn/Blay story, I was very interested in Assail and Sola. Looks like they'll play heavily in the next book. I heard (I don't remember where) that Trez' story may take a couple of books to tell. Looks like Layla and Xcor will be a long time in coming too. But that makes sense. I wouldn't buy Xcor suddenly doing a 180 and becoming someone worthy of Layla.

Used to be I didn't care for Layla when she had a big crush on Qhuinn. But I really started to like her in this book. She's showing her independence and confidence. She may become a favorite for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 pm 

I am still reading this epic story..and really loving it. I love the Qhuinn and Blay relationship and vulnerability. It is also very erotic.

I also love the way she has alot of other stories going on at the same time. It is if I am watching a movie with alot of characters. It adds to the book. However...because my memory is so bad, I have to go back to the other books to refresh it! I still don't fully know who Assail is.

The only complaint I have, which is what I have had with all her books---cut out the ghetto slang name brand calling every two seconds!!! It really irritated me in the first few chapters because I don't really understand the slang nor do I care about the name brand on every item and it distracts from the story line. By her discriptions of things and name brand issues, I often wonder if 5yrs from now, if I re-read thise BDB books, if they will become dated like Sandra Brown books are.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:42 pm 

Robin in PA and Eaglegirl, I'm not sure I made myself clear. I also like Assail, Xcor and Trez -- I just wish their "previews hadn't taken up so much space in this book. It was over 500 pages long and I wanted to have more of Quinn and Blay.

I'll definitely look forward to more from Xcor -- he's kind of a Beast figure from Beauty and the Beast to me. I hope JRW rehabs him so to speak. His part in the story was fairly necessary but I don't think Assail and Sola's and Trez's story was too relevant to the Quinn/Blay storyline so I think it would have been easy for her to cut it.

In spite of this, I'm looking forward to The King. I'd love to have him get his eyesight back -- why can't Payne help him?

Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. Fill your glass again, with a merry face and contented heart. Our life on it, but your Christmas shall be merry, and your new year a happy one! -- Dickens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:09 pm 

EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:
The only complaint I have, which is what I have had with all her books---cut out the ghetto slang name brand calling every two seconds!!! It really irritated me in the first few chapters because I don't really understand the slang nor do I care about the name brand on every item and it distracts from the story line. By her discriptions of things and name brand issues, I often wonder if 5yrs from now, if I re-read thise BDB books, if they will become dated like Sandra Brown books are.

I guess I don't mind the slang. Actually, I was wondering if she was toning it down compared to the previous books. There didn't seem to be as much to me. But that must not be right since others have mentioned it too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:11 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
Robin in PA and Eaglegirl, I'm not sure I made myself clear. I also like Assail, Xcor and Trez -- I just wish their "previews hadn't taken up so much space in this book. It was over 500 pages long and I wanted to have more of Quinn and Blay.

I'll definitely look forward to more from Xcor -- he's kind of a Beast figure from Beauty and the Beast to me. I hope JRW rehabs him so to speak. His part in the story was fairly necessary but I don't think Assail and Sola's and Trez's story was too relevant to the Quinn/Blay storyline so I think it would have been easy for her to cut it.

In spite of this, I'm looking forward to The King. I'd love to have him get his eyesight back -- why can't Payne help him?

I keep wondering how Ward is going to rehab Xcor. That's going to take some real work. At least in this book he didn't try to kill any of the brothers.

As for giving Wrath his sight back, I never thought of it. Great idea. I'd love to see that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:48 pm 

I am loving every minute of reading this book and it could go on for another 500 pages as far as I'm concerned. I think she is back to her old style of writing and I'm sure glad. This book has everything plus setting us up for her future books. I would like some info on Shadows and the sHisbe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 pm 

FINALLY!! I finished this book! Stayed up til 2am glued to every page. Right now, I am kicking back and savoring and replaying the book in my head---wish it could go on. JR Ward is a great story teller. She does an excellent job of weaving in extra story lines. She is definitely setting up for other books to come. I am more interested in Assail's story and the Band of Bastards. Trez and Iam are interesting, but unless I can have a whole new history of the s'Hisbe, I am not that thrilled over them. Good book!

I wonder who's book is next? Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am 

EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:

I wonder who's book is next? Any ideas?

I heard that the next book is called The King and is about Wrath and Beth again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:32 pm 

I am reading it right now, and I agree with Linda 100%. I am skipping a lot of parts because of all the unnecessary clutter that Ward created. Overall not a bad story, but not my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm 

I am half-way through and as per ususal I am totally "in" the BDB world, I missed that a bit in Rapture, so it's good to be back "in".

Yes there are a lot of different POV's but it's easy to get the flow. I am excited there's more Trez in this (I want his story) also new characters.

Yep glad I picked it up this weekend, yesterday was a lovely day spent half of it sitting on my front lawn reading... :mrgreen:

As much as I love Kristen Ashley, it's really nice to have another author tear me away from her for a while...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:57 pm 

Okay so finished, not my fave but enjoyed it.

My choice for next Assil....yep liking that thread, then Xcor and then Trez....

Yep still liking this series... I am glad it was enjoyable, I didn't want to not like it... so I'm glad I did. :mrgreen: