Post subject: Has Anyone Read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 am 

My SIL told me it's a really good story and I borrowed it from the library but haven't read it yet. An average 3 1/2 stars from Amazon is kind of scary. I'm used to reading books with 4 or more by unknown to me authors. It's a mystery but I have no idea if there's romance in it.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:33 pm 

I read it a couple of months ago. When you're done with the book, you either love it or hate it.

I really liked the author's style. The story is told with the wife narrating one chapter and the husband narrating the next. Neither of them are likeable at all, but the story is really interesting.

My problem was the end of the story. I'm not going to tell you what happens, but I was very dissatisfied. So, I would say check it out and see what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:09 pm 

You might want to check out the SPOILERS message board for GONE GIRL (thread started 10/29/12) to get a couple more opinions on this book. The comments on this book posted there don't actually give anything away (unlike most comments in the Spoilers thread) so it would be safe to read them at least as of a couple of minutes ago when I was last in there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 am 

OHREADER wrote:
You might want to check out the SPOILERS message board for GONE GIRL (thread started 10/29/12) to get a couple more opinions on this book. The comments on this book posted there don't actually give anything away (unlike most comments in the Spoilers thread) so it would be safe to read them at least as of a couple of minutes ago when I was last in there.

Thanks for the hint. I read the posts and I think I'll give it three chapters and then probably quit it for a wallbanger. I can't imagine why my SIL would like it. It doesn't sound appealing to me at all.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm 

Linda ... I really liked it. The twists and turns in the plot took me completely by surprise each time. Three chapters won't do it: at least read though some of Part II to hit the first twist/turn and then decide.

I can't say I liked either character. The end surprised me at first, and then - on second thought - it didn't. It definitely doesn't tie everything up with a neat HEA bow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 pm 

Well....... I finished it and I think I agree with lynn4. I actually would consider this horror genre. I keep seeing a woman posing as Jack Nicholson in the Shining saying "Here's Johnny (Amy)"! I didn't expect to be drawn into this book but it was so awful I kept on reading. By awful, I mean the storyline -- how could anyone be so diabolical? The ending, of course, was crap to someone who wants an HEA but it fits the horror story feel to it.

My SIL recommended this book and I have to admit I was surprised at the language and "grittiness" of some of the descriptions. SIL always has struck me as a bit of a prude. Neither character is likable but at the end I felt a bit sorry for Nick -- he was such an stupid idiot. I also disliked the secondary characters -- Rand, Marybeth, Tanner and Andie. I'm trying to think of one character that I actually liked and I'm having trouble -- maybe Boney.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone but to a select bunch who like best-sellers and weird mysteries, I will recommend it. Especially to my brother -- he likes quirky books and this one has it in spades.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:50 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
Well....... I finished it and I think I agree with lynn4. I actually would consider this horror genre. I keep seeing a woman posing as Jack Nicholson in the Shining saying "Here's Johnny (Amy)"! I didn't expect to be drawn into this book but it was so awful I kept on reading. By awful, I mean the storyline -- how could anyone be so diabolical? The ending, of course, was crap to someone who wants an HEA but it fits the horror story feel to it.

My SIL recommended this book and I have to admit I was surprised at the language and "grittiness" of some of the descriptions. SIL always has struck me as a bit of a prude. Neither character is likable but at the end I felt a bit sorry for Nick -- he was such an stupid idiot. I also disliked the secondary characters -- Rand, Marybeth, Tanner and Andie. I'm trying to think of one character that I actually liked and I'm having trouble -- maybe Boney.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone but to a select bunch who like best-sellers and weird mysteries, I will recommend it. Especially to my brother -- he likes quirky books and this one has it in spades.

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Linda. I absolutely hated the ending. I wanted Amy to pay for what she did. It wasn't a good payoff for me. And, I too thought Nick was an idiot. Didn't like the secondary characters either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:17 pm 

I too read this based on the RT recommendation and I think it stunk. Not because of the story line or the writing it was just so far removed from what I normally read it just didn't give me my warm fuzzy feeling after reading it. LOL I remember wanting to just throw it at the wall when I saw how they treated each other and how stupid he seemed. Then I thought well, they deserve each other. I guess based on the feeling it envoked that it served it's purpose but just not my cuppa. One of my thoughts was WTH???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:51 pm 

I definitely agree it's not a warm and fuzzy kind of read. I kept reading thinking she was going to slip up. However, what I liked about the ending was him saying he feels sorry for her because every day she wakes up and she's herself. I enjoyed seeing her being taken down a peg and there was nothing she could do about it -- then again, she probably will kill him eventually LOL. If you look at it as a Steven King kind of a novel or even Dean Koontz, it's easier to embrace the crazy!

Benjamin Franklin