Post subject: Heroes who speak like females?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 pm 

Okay so what I am trying to get at.... as this really puts me off books, so I'll see if I can get out what I mean, so apologies if it does'no make'o sense'o.

Some authors do not seem to have a "male" voice for their male leads, I am trying to think of an example but one escapes me at this time (so I may get back to you on that).

But have you ever had a moment where a hero who is supposed to be either an Alpha or macho male, whose language totally comes of as a female way of speaking.

In that you think "really! he speaks like that? wow, he's not someone I'd like to know in the "biblical sense" :lol: :lol:

There's not been a lot, but I've noted a few.

Post subject: Re: Heroes who speak like females?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 am 

Nothing specific but it always bothers me when an author has a male character giggle. And I've seen male authors do it, so it's not limited to female authors. Oh and one female author who had every character, male and female going "O-oo-oo" when they were surprised or pleased.

http://cindy-betweenthepages.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

I read a book last month that had me thinking the same thing. The male (who was supposed to be uber-aplha) kept saying "cray" (for crazy) and several other annoying things. It pulled me out of the story every time.

I also don't like the giggling for men. Giggle just makes me think of a teenaged girl.

And I absolutely hate it when authors write their male leads as basically a woman with male equipment. I don't remember too many doing it because I get rid of the books immediately.

However, I remember one who wrote the male and female characters emotional reactions almost identical (not saying that men can't have emotions, just that the bulk of them don't have feminine responses - hope that makes sense). The "alpha" hero cried at the drop of a hat and was so sensitive to everything anyone said it drove me nuts. (Now, I love a crying alpha male when it makes sense, but not every five pages!!!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 pm 

muffin wrote:
Nothing specific but it always bothers me when an author has a male character giggle. And I've seen male authors do it, so it's not limited to female authors. Oh and one female author who had every character, male and female going "O-oo-oo" when they were surprised or pleased.

Oh yeah, or there is nothing worse than when hero "gasps!" :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm 

If the hero is injured badly, I let gasp slide but if it's gasp with surprise, then no, just no.

http://cindy-betweenthepages.blogspot.com/