Post subject: Barbara Cartland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 am 

Someone posted on the "Book Sleuth" board about wanting to find a Barbara Cartland book. It brought back memories of reading some of her books when I was a teen. What always irritated me about her books was how her heroines (every single one of them!) literally couldn't string two words together without pausing. They...all...talked...like...this...

I know she was extremely prolific. Did anyone here read Barbara Cartland books?

Post subject: Re: Barbara Cartland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 pm 

I read many of them and enjoyed most. But I couldn't stand her one sentence paragraphs. Now I love James Patterson with his short chapters so go figure...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:43 pm 

Maryann, I just checked the Amazon site and most of Barbara's books are available now, so think I may download a few. I loved them when I was growing up. I have to agree though about the ... style sentences, drove me a little crazy but it made the heroines seem both a little hesitant and demure.
One of my fav Barbara Cartland's was "Barbara Cartland's book of useless information", which I lost years ago. Filled with lots of interesting and fun facts. After seeeing your post I checked and Amazon has links for used copies, so I definitely need to get that too. She was a prolific writer and also a very knowledgeable lady.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:05 am 

I used to read her as well - many years ago!! I thought I read someplace that she used to go into a "trance" when she wrote her books. Not sure that is true or not - could be I just dreamed that..... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:33 am 

I saw in an interview many years ago that she had a team of secretaries and she dictated most of her novels. Interesting writing style. I'm trying to train hubby to be my secretary but it's not working. Anyway he can't spell. :D Guess I'll have to stick with my computer! Has anyone here tried those Dragon type dictation programs? (At least I think that's what they're called).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 pm 

I'm sure I saw her on 60 minutes years ago.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.-George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:28 pm 

I got my used copy of Barbara Cartland's Book of Useless Information in the mail from Amazon. It brought back so many memories of my mum giggling when she gave me a copy many Christmases ago. I remnded her on the phone the other day and she was touched at the happy memory.
The inside of this used copy has a note inscribed from someone who gave it as a gift...in 1977!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm 

Some of those oldies are indeed goodies.And an old inscription adds something special.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:41 am 

I have read her books and enjoyed them. I borrowed them from the library and read them about forty years ago. I don't remember her writing style. I wonder if my library still has her books. I haven't seen them in years so I will have to check.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:41 pm 

If anyone is reading BC these days look for Desire of the Heart. I think it was #2 of her numbered books but I do know that it's the only book that I can remember where the heroine and hero went to bed. They were married but she was disguised as someone else. No detail but you know what they did LOL. It was a great book and came out well before Kathleen Woodiwiss changed the face of romance books with sensuality being added.

My sister still has it and I'll see her tonight to make sure I have the name right.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:48 pm 

I know that Kathryn Falk was a good friend of Barbara Cartland. I have just about all her books .I think in the new year I''ll dig them out and read a few.