Post subject: I pre-ordered books for the first time ever...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:12 am 

...and got one heck of a good deal to boot. Debra Webb's first 3 books in her Faces of Evil series, 'Obsession', 'Impulse' and 'Power', will be winging their way to me from The Book Depository on March 26, 2013. I was shocked and did a double-take at the price--$2.95 each--$8.85 for all 3--and no taxes or shipping :shock: ! Now I just have to wait for them...

HR

Post subject: Re: I pre-ordered books for the first time ever...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:28 am 

Good for you! It is always thrilling to get new books. I have never heard of The Book Depository.

One of these days, I will have to start buying on-line. DH has finally started so I guess I should give it a go.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 am 

hopeless romantic wrote:
...and got one heck of a good deal to boot. Debra Webb's first 3 books in her Faces of Evil series, 'Obsession', 'Impulse' and 'Power', will be winging their way to me from The Book Depository on March 26, 2013. I was shocked and did a double-take at the price--$2.95 each--$8.85 for all 3--and no taxes or shipping :shock: ! Now I just have to wait for them...

HR

Judy~The Book Depository is an Amazon bought company based in the U.K. if I recall.

Enjoy your books.... HR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm 

I used to pre-order books all the time but now I am too cautious to buy books that way.

I've read good things about the Book Depository. If I lived outside the US I would definitely be making use of that site.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.-George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:58 pm 

I pre-order a lot of books through Amazon and get money back when the price drops from the price I paid. Also, they have a 4 for 3 paperbook offer that you get the lowest priced book for free.

It's doesn't hurt that I have Amazon Prime (because I have a Kindle touch) and get free two day free shipping that has been one day shipping at times; must live near an Amazon warehouse :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 am 

Hopeless Romantic- That's wonderful. Good for you. I never ordered anything from them but have heard good things from posters on RT.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 am 

erika wrote:
I used to pre-order books all the time but now I am too cautious to buy books that way.

I've read good things about the Book Depository. If I lived outside the US I would definitely be making use of that site.

They ship to the US for no tax/shipping costs as well. If you pre-order from them 10 days or so before the publishing date, they discount paperbacks by 25% so if I know I want to buy a particular paperback, I pre-order from them. Since they don't add shipping or taxes, that's the biggest discount I've found on paperbacks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
erika wrote:

They ship to the US for no tax/shipping costs as well. If you pre-order from them 10 days or so before the publishing date, they discount paperbacks by 25% so if I know I want to buy a particular paperback, I pre-order from them. Since they don't add shipping or taxes, that's the biggest discount I've found on paperbacks.

I didn't know that! I rarely buy enough books to take advantage of that no shipping bonus Amazon, BN and BAM have.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.-George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:06 am 

I have ordered books from the Book Depository several times and have been completely satisfied with all my purchases. The thing that attracted me was the price of the books. I live in Canada and ordering from Amazon.com was cost prohibitive because of the shipping charges. Amazon.ca was another option, but, in my case, Book Depository prices were lower every time (i.e. 'Obsession', 'Implulse, 'Power', $4.99 @ Amazon.ca, $2.95 @ the Book Depository)...'nuff said :wink: :) .

HR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:36 pm 

That is a great deal HR! For the amount of books I purchase, cost is a huge factor. Many are cheaper for Kindle, and I have Prime from Amazon so the shipping is free, no sales tax too. I am not pre-ordering as many books these days either. I have had too many disappointments lately, so I am waiting until the books are out along with more than one review before I purchase now.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:50 pm 

I'm going to have to check out the Book Depository. Amazon has started collecting sales tax in California and that tacks on an additional 10% for me. :?

So I am off to Book Depository!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:42 pm 

Teri P wrote:
I am not pre-ordering as many books these days either. I have had too many disappointments lately, so I am waiting until the books are out along with more than one review before I purchase now.

Teri--I know I am taking a risk pre-ordering, but I did my due diligence, reading as many excerpts as I could and shopping for the best deal. Sorry you have been disappointed lately...I have my fingers crossed that is not the case with these books.

HR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:43 pm 

Gypsy wrote:

Gypsy--Go. Order. Enjoy.

HR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 pm 

hopeless romantic wrote:
Gypsy wrote:

Gypsy--Go. Order. Enjoy.

HR

I went off and ordered the same books you did!! I was rather surprised though that they charged my bank account right away. Usually you don't get charged until the books ship.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:32 am 

Gypsy wrote:
I went off and ordered the same books you did!! I was rather surprised though that they charged my bank account right away. Usually you don't get charged until the books ship.

Gypsy--Great minds think alike :) . I ordered the books on my credit card so I will have to check when my statement comes to see if I have been charged. It is strange they debited your bank account considering the books will not be released until March. Perhaps you should e-mail the Book Depository and find out why. I have always found them very forthcoming in their answers when I have made an inquiry.

HR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:17 pm 

Gypsy wrote:

Yes, they do charge you upfront. If for some reason, the book doesn't get published as listed or is unavailable, they do credit your account. (That happened to me once when I pre-ordered a book six-months in advance. The publication got moved to almost a year after the first date.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:35 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
Gypsy wrote:

Yes, they do charge you upfront. If for some reason, the book doesn't get published as listed or is unavailable, they do credit your account. (That happened to me once when I pre-ordered a book six-months in advance. The publication got moved to almost a year after the first date.)

Thanks for the info OHREADER - I've never seen a pre-order work like that so wasn't sure what was going on. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 am 

Gypsy wrote:

Gypsy--I got my credit card statement and, sure enough, I was charged for the books ($8.95 total for 3 :shock: ). Only 4 months to wait...

HR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:09 pm 

hopeless romantic wrote:
Gypsy wrote:

Gypsy--I got my credit card statement and, sure enough, I was charged for the books ($8.95 total for 3 :shock: ). Only 4 months to wait...

HR

I know - can you believe it?? Now to just watch to make sure we are not charged again. :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 am 

Gypsy wrote:
I know - can you believe it?? Now to just watch to make sure we are not charged again. :?

Gypsy--I will definitely be keeping an eye on my bills between now and March 26, 2013. That should not be difficult because I use my card maybe once every couple of months :lol: . Now, we have just 3 months to wait...

HR