Post subject: How much do you remember
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:33 am 

about books that you've read or even if you read a certain book?
I was going through some books trying to decide if I was going to bring them to the UBS or to the library and saw one with several pages dog-earred. Every once in a while I'll do that planning on keeping the book and rereading it. Well I looked at it and through it and don't remember ever reading it.
It dismays me that this is the case with many if not most books I.ve read. Sometimes I jot down a few dertails in a notebook but am not consistent. Mostly I list the solution to a mystery and the name of the murderer.
But it makes me feel awful.

Post subject: Re: How much do you remember
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 am 

I forget books really fast unless they are really memorable favorites (and unfortunately, most aren't). To solve that problem for me, I keep a log of books that I read and I list the main characters as well as whether I liked it or not. It doesn't help with the plot but at least I can identify books that are reissued with a new cover. Before I did this I couldn't remember the names either.

I don't reread usually, although I reread the Hunger Games just before the movie came out. With my Kindle I'm tempted to reread because for some reason or another I read faster on it (I'm probably missing more too :x !

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:16 pm 

the older I get the less I remember, but I do have quite a few books that I read years ago and I can still quote passages from them.

Books I read two months ago; not so much :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:54 pm 

JaniceC wrote:
the older I get the less I remember, but I do have quite a few books that I read years ago and I can still quote passages from them.

Same here, can remember the keepers but not too many of the others. When I see the names and read the back cover I usually remember if I read it or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am 

I find I can remember better if I switch it up with the genres. Otherwise I all becomes a blur with the ones I like to read--action/advernture. So if I read Cindy Gerard, Maya Banks, Stephanie Tyler, Pamela Clare and Christy Reece all together I cannot keep them straight!

I was halfway through a book waiting for a certain character to show up when I realized he was in another author's series! What a letdown.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 am 

So glad you posted this! I thought I was the only one! I don't remember much about most of the books I have read unless they were incredibly funny or shocking in some way. But then I think in general we live in the moment, enjoy the book, then it's gone and move onto the next one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm 

I usually don't remember much once I've finished a book. Sometimes I'll remember an odd detail or plot twist. And only seldom do I remember names.

I recently was going through some old books of mine, trying to decide what to keep and what to let go of. I hadn't started keeping track of what I read at the time I stored these, and I had a tough time remembering which ones I'd read and which ones I hadn't. I finally skimmed through them to try to figure it out. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:34 pm 

I only need a few triggers and I seem to rememeber the entire book, series and author. Those triggers tend to be the book cover or the names of the H/h. I keep all the books I read in an Excel database and I think that helps lock it in my memory.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 pm 

I keep a reading journal, so I do remember most of the books that were really good! I find writing down things from the books helps me remember more about them.

But if a book wasn't so good, I tend not to remember much, other than the fact that it wasn't very good! I will note what I didn't like about the book, and the characters names, but will need to refer to my notes.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 am 

Anna1122 wrote:
JaniceC wrote:

Same here, can remember the keepers but not too many of the others. When I see the names and read the back cover I usually remember if I read it or not.

LOL - this describes me exactly!! So glad it's not just me. I was a little worried!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 am 

This is the one thing I like about series books. Each time a new one comes out, I have to go back and read through all the others to bring myself up to speed. So some of these books I've read at least 3 times. That helps with the remembering.

Yesterday I took my dad (age 87) to see my aunt (age 91), and they both have great memories. Unfortunately once we sat down to tea, everything they talked about happened before 1960! I felt left out, but it was a wonderful history lesson.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:22 am 

L.C. wrote:
So glad you posted this! I thought I was the only one! I don't remember much about most of the books I have read unless they were incredibly funny or shocking in some way. But then I think in general we live in the moment, enjoy the book, then it's gone and move onto the next one.

I think your post describes me. The old adage, "out of sight, out of mind", also applies in my case. I will re-read favorite books so I usually can remember the plot, somewhat, and the characters names, but that aside, a book has to have an unusual plot or I will not remember it.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 am 

gail wrote:
about books that you've read or even if you read a certain book?
I was going through some books trying to decide if I was going to bring them to the UBS or to the library and saw one with several pages dog-earred. Every once in a while I'll do that planning on keeping the book and rereading it. Well I looked at it and through it and don't remember ever reading it.
It dismays me that this is the case with many if not most books I.ve read. Sometimes I jot down a few dertails in a notebook but am not consistent. Mostly I list the solution to a mystery and the name of the murderer.
But it makes me feel awful.

I remember almost everything usually, especially if I felt strongly about it one way or the other. It shouldn't make you sad you can't remember Gail, in fact that's awesome!!! You can re-read your old favorites and enjoy them again and again! I wish I could forget more details because it makes re-reading that much more fun :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm 

As soon as I finish a book, it's forgotten.
Very very few books I've read over the years remain with me.
That's one of the reasons I keep all my read books on Goodreads (on my PC doesn't work, two have crashed on me in the last 3 years).
If I have a doubt, I just check Goodreads to see if I've rated it.
Honestly, I don't know if this is a 'senior' thing. I used to remember them better, but that was before the age of ebooks, when I was reading maybe twenty books a year. Now it's more like 20 books a month, so I think it's normal to give them a lot less attention, and I don't 'process' the book before starting another

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:14 pm 

:D It really depends on the book that had read. But most of the time if I'm really into the book, I'll remember it. Like right now there are a couple of books that I do not have anymore but still remember I just can't remember the title to the darn thing. It's driving me insane because I can't remember the title, but the story line I just loved it. 8)