Post subject: Ranger vs. Joe: Who should Stephanie Plum to end up with?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:43 pm 

We're working on an article about ongoing love triangles for the February issue and we know readers have VERY strong opinions about which guy Stephanie Plum should choose. How about you -- are you on Team Ranger or Team Joe?

Post subject: Re: Ranger vs. Joe: Who should Stephanie Plum to end up with
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:44 am 

Unless major changes occur in future books, I would say she should end up with Joe. While I LOVE the character of Ranger, he has too many secrets for a permanent relationship....Stephanie doesn't even know his name, for pete's sake. She knows nothing about his background, where he got his money, what he does when he "disappears", etc. With Joe, she could actually have a life & a family with him. (providing he actually has outgrown his "skirt chasing" ways of their youth. If in future books, he turns out to cheat on her...all bets are off!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm 

Joe.

He's the real one, while Ranger is fantasy material, not long term, happily ever after, end of story material.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:30 pm 

Neither. Joe constantly puts down her choice of Bounty Hunting. Whereas Ranger is always there when she needs him. But, he's not the type to settle down.
However, as the books are written, she'll choose Joe. Bleh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:20 pm 

I don't think she'll ever choose either of them, unless the series is ending. But, if she did, I think it would be Joe.

Reader's Challenge...Step out of your comfort zone and try something new.

http://robinmy.paperbackswap.com
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517967512

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:54 am 

I read a blogger quote Janet that she doesn't intend for Stephanie to grow .... hence, what BookMom said. In order for the series to continue, Stephanie has to have a conflict other than bad guys ... and that conflict is which love interest.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:41 pm 

LOL!
Well, I have to agree with most of you. It will be Joe. If the series ever ends. I agree that Ranger is WAAAY too secretive and fantasy material for a real relationship. Also, she only had one fling with Ranger and the rest of the time is mostly spent co-habitating with Joe. Not to mention Joe is the only one of either of them whom she calls her boyfriend. So, it only makes sense that it would be him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:33 am 

Joe. Not that I really care anymore, one way or the other.

Kind of makes me sad, 'cause I really loved these books once upon a time, but the love was pummeled out of me by boring repetition, inanity, and Evanovich clearly phoning it in to milk the cash cow to death.

A sign that we have met, at last?"
Rupert Brooke, "The Call"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:01 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
Unless major changes occur in future books, I would say she should end up with Joe. While I LOVE the character of Ranger, he has too many secrets for a permanent relationship....Stephanie doesn't even know his name, for pete's sake. She knows nothing about his background, where he got his money, what he does when he "disappears", etc. With Joe, she could actually have a life & a family with him. (providing he actually has outgrown his "skirt chasing" ways of their youth. If in future books, he turns out to cheat on her...all bets are off!)

She knows his name it's Ricardo Carlos Manoso.

She does know he was married, has a child, was a Ranger. His money comes from his private security company and high paying bounties. He usually tells her where's he's going. Not necessarily what he'd doing.

But I agree Joe is the one she will probably end up with. I just wished I cared. I used to love this show but nothing has really happened aside from a ridicules number of cars being destroyed. There's no way Stephanie could afford insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:37 pm 

Team Joe. However, I quit reading three books ago so really don't much care at this point. I got tired of Stephanie's immaturity and the ongoing triangle is worn out. It makes me sad, because I used to love the books and really looked forward to each new release. But now, the plots are thin, the stories are predictable, and the lack of character growth has bored me.

I think a good romantic triangle needs a pre-determined end. Janet Evanovich should learn a lesson from the producers of LOST.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:01 pm 

My guess is that eventually she'll marry Joe but hopefully not before she thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly LOL) explores her feelings for Ranger.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 pm 

Guess I'm the lone vote for Ranger. :roll: It just seems to me that Joe and Stephanie should have happened already, if it was meant to be. The fact that they aren't a couple by now says something, and they need to listen. :lol: Joe's been in Stephanie's life since preschool - good grief. Their relationship seems a bit too volatile - on again, off again. I think it'd continue that way, married or not, unless she changes to please (appease) Joe - and why should she have to change?

Ranger actually seems more supportive and even in some ways to know her better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:39 pm 

Neither. She's too immature to consider marriage. Besides, sometimes I feel she's TSTL (too stupid to live.) And with the example her parents and grandmother set, she doesn't stand a chance of a successful relationship.
I had trouble getting through the last few books I read, and am way behind, although I bought all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 am 

So true; she really is too immature for marriage. That's one thing that has frustrated me so badly with these books and caused me to actually stop reading them. I think Stephanie should have shown some growth by now. It's ridiculous how her life just keeps repeating over and over again. Frankly, Joe and Ranger should both just wash their hands of her and move on!

If Janet Evanovich is determined to keep Stephanie as is, with no maturity in sight, she really needs to end the series. I think a lot of people are buying and reading the books out of habit at this point. It's a shame because the books were so good for the first part of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:09 pm 

Oh! PPPFFFTTTT! life is too serious, leave my fun reads alone. I aspire to be Stepahnie PLum and have her man "troubles" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who wants to grow up!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm 

Oh, Klass, I wish I could still feel that way about Stephanie and her adventures! I had so much fun reading the books at the start of the series, right up until about five books ago. Maybe it's because in the amount of time I've been reading about Stephanie, so much in my life has changed (my kids have grown up and left home, my husband has taken early retirement and started a new career, we've moved 500 miles away from friends and family, etc.) and yet hers has stayed exactly the same. I guess I have become a much different person and have outgrown her.

I bought my daughter the first three books in the Stephanie Plum series for Christmas. She wanted some books that are fun and that have nothing to do with vampires. I'm anxious to see how she enjoys the series. I know I used to sit and laugh out loud while reading them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 pm 

Well, my opinion is Stephanie should be with Ranger. He is always trying to protect her, get her to train to be better able to protect herself and eat healthier. All of this because he cares for her. He has secrets, but who does not?

Joe on the other hand tells her to quit and has never really asked her to marry him. When he said they would get married there was no ring. He never really talks to her, but tells her to quit, get married and have kids. Frankly, I grew up with parents and family like hers and I married someone who loves me unconditionally and is not what was expected of me.

Stephanie should do what makes her happy and I think Ranger is the man who will make her the happiest. He does not try to change her, but he wants to help her be better.

I hope that in Book 17 Stephanie finally gets together with Ranger.