Post subject: Heroes are my Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 pm 

Honestly, I think I'd put this in the top five by her (for me). It's not as good as Nobody's Baby but Mine (nothing is IMHO) but it's really, really good. Here's the blurb from Amazon:

Deepest winter.
An isolated island off the coast of Maine.
A man. A woman.
Puppets. (Yes, puppets . . .)
And . . .
A mysterious house looming over the sea . . .

He's a reclusive writer whose imagination creates chilling horror novels. She's a down-on-her-luck actress reduced to staging kids' puppet shows. He knows a dozen ways to kill his characters with his bare hands. She knows a dozen ways to kill an audience with laughs. But she's not laughing now.

Annie Hewitt has arrived on Peregrine Island in the middle of a snowstorm and at the end of her resources. She's broke, dispirited, but not quite ready to give up. Her red suitcases hold the puppets she uses to make her living: sensible Dilly, spunky Scamp, and Leo, the baddest of bad guys. Her puppets, the romantic novels she loves, and a little bit of courage are all she has left.

Annie couldn't be more ill prepared for what she finds when she reaches Moonraker Cottage or for the man who dwells in Harp House, the mysterious mansion that hovers above the cottage. When she was a teenager, he betrayed her in a way she can never forget or forgive. Now they're trapped together on a frozen island along with a lonely widow, a mute little girl, and townspeople who don't know how to mind their own business.

Is he the villain she remembers, or has he changed? Her head says no. Her heart says yes.

It's going to be a long, hot winter.

It starts off like a Gothic novel and the heroine, Annie, has these puppets which brought to mind Chuckie and Bride of Chuckie to me LOL. So I ignored the puppets and concentrated on the story which didn't take long to pull me in. One of the things I like about SEP is that she always has great secondary characters, in this case Livia, the mute little girl. I love that it's set in Maine -- I've never been there and now I want to go. The story is predictable but there are enough quirks in it to make it really enjoyable. 5 stars for me.

Post subject: Re: Heroes are my Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:51 pm 

Another one for my wishlist. I checked paperbackswap. They have the paperback and the hardcover coming out at the same time. Does anyone know if that is correct?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 pm 

I just read on Amazon that the paperback comes out May of 2015. My copy was a from the library (thank God for my library!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:42 am 

Maybe I should have stuck with it. Thankfully, it was a library book, (I refused to pay the outrageous price) and it was a DNF for me. My first DNF of SEP actually. The puppets just creeped me out too much.

Maybe unconsiously the combination of the cost & then the puppets just gave me an instant bias. I usually love her books, but didn't get past the first few chapters. If a book doesn't grab me very quickly, I won't usually stick with it. My TBR back log is way too big to stick with one for long.

Maybe someday I will give it another shot. But seriously, having conversations with puppets? <shudders>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:06 pm 

vol Fan wrote:
Maybe I should have stuck with it. Thankfully, it was a library book, (I refused to pay the outrageous price) and it was a DNF for me. My first DNF of SEP actually. The puppets just creeped me out too much.

Maybe unconsiously the combination of the cost & then the puppets just gave me an instant bias. I usually love her books, but didn't get past the first few chapters. If a book doesn't grab me very quickly, I won't usually stick with it. My TBR back log is way too big to stick with one for long.

Maybe someday I will give it another shot. But seriously, having conversations with puppets? <shudders>

As I said, my first thought was Chucky and Bride of Chucky LOL. They became important to a secondary character so I got over it -- but it wasn't easy. Definitely creepy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:32 pm 

When I started the book, I did not like it. I was stunned to realize I wanted to quit after the first few chapters. This had never happened to me with a SEP book. I found it annoying that the heroine regularly imagined conversations between her puppets (each of whom has its own personality and plenty to say) as an ongoing commentary about her life and behavior. Too, the hero/heroine had a difficult past, and some bad history between the two of them.

I kept reading and after more interaction between the hero (Theo) and heroine (Annie) I started to enjoy the book a lot more. The chemistry between them started off a bit shaky, but as they spent more and more time together, it got stronger. I loved the banter and verbal sparring between Annie and Theo. They often stood toe-to-toe as both of them refused to back down. After that, it was smooth sailing and by the time I finished it, I could say that I enjoyed Heroes Are My Weakness. I especially enjoyed Annie's connection to Livia and Annie's career choice at the end of the book.

Dani

"Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on." Samuel Butler, English poet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 pm 

Dani wrote:
When I started the book, I did not like it. I was stunned to realize I wanted to quit after the first few chapters. This had never happened to me with a SEP book. I found it annoying that the heroine regularly imagined conversations between her puppets (each of whom has its own personality and plenty to say) as an ongoing commentary about her life and behavior. Too, the hero/heroine had a difficult past, and some bad history between the two of them.

I kept reading and after more interaction between the hero (Theo) and heroine (Annie) I started to enjoy the book a lot more. The chemistry between them started off a bit shaky, but as they spent more and more time together, it got stronger. I loved the banter and verbal sparring between Annie and Theo. They often stood toe-to-toe as both of them refused to back down. After that, it was smooth sailing and by the time I finished it, I could say that I enjoyed Heroes Are My Weakness. I especially enjoyed Annie's connection to Livia and Annie's career choice at the end of the book.

Dani

I agree with everything you said and said it better than I ever could have!