Post subject: Author of the Week #13 - JULIE GARWOOD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm 

Well, it's a holiday weekend and I don't even know what day it is. I forgot to post the Author of the Week post yesterday. So here it is:

This week's author of the week is:

JULIE GARWOOD

It's no surprise that Julie Garwood became a writer. Growing up in a large family of Irish heritage, she took to storytelling naturally. "The Irish relish getting all the details of every situation," she explains. "Add in the fact that I was the sixth of seven children. Early in life I learned that self-expression had to be forceful, imaginative, and quick."

Creating stories was always a passion for Julie, but she didn't focus on making it a career until the youngest of her three children entered school. After the publications of two young adult books, she turned her interests to historical fiction. Her first novel, GENTLE WARRIOR, was published in 1985, and there has been a steady parade of bestsellers ever since. Today more than 35 million copies of her books are in print, and they are translated in dozens of languages around the world. One of her most popular novels, FOR THE ROSES, was adapted for a HALLMARK HALL OF FAME production on CBS.

Whether the setting be medieval Scotland, Regency England, frontier Montana, or modern-day Louisiana, her themes are consistent: family, loyalty, and honor. Readers claim that it's the humor as well as poignancy of her novels that keep them coming back for more. Julie described her goals this way: "I want my readers to laugh and cry and fall in love. Basically, I want them to escape into another world for a little while and afterwards to feel as though they've been on a great adventure."

Julie lives in Leawood, Kansas, and is currently working on her next novel.

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #13 - JULIE GARWOOD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:15 pm 

I have to admit that I never read her historicals but I have read and enjoyed her romantic suspense book.

Buchanan / FBI
1. Heartbreaker (2000)
2. Mercy (2001)
3. Killjoy (2002)
4. Murder List (2004)
5. Slow Burn (2005)
6. Shadow Dance (2006)
7. Fire and Ice (2008)
8. Sizzle (2009)
9. The Ideal Man (2011)
10. Sweet Talk (2012)
11. Hotshot (2013)
12. Fast Track (2014)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:03 am 

I didn't discover her until I began reading her romantic suspense books. Then I went to her backlist and read as many of her historical romances that I could glom on to. I like her books and her sense of humor.

I just finished her latest, Fast Track, and I enjoyed it. It was light on suspense, but then her books usually are. I read some bad reviews, which I did not agree with, on Amazon. That said, some of her older RS books are better---Mercy and Heartbreaker, to name a couple.

She is one author whose book I eagerly await each year. A must read author for me.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm 

I've only read her historical romances. I like them because they are light and funny (most of the time). I highly recommend For the Roses. It was a favorite of mine.

I've collected most of her romantic suspense but haven't given them a try. Many people have mentioned that they are light suspense. I usually like my suspense dark and gritty, so I'm not sure I'll be crazy about these ones. Is there humor in them? That would be a plus for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:59 pm 

I found Julie Garwoood with her first book for Tapestry and love, love her books. The historical ones are not overly accurate but her characters are wonderful.

And yes, there is humour.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm 

Julie Garwood was one of the first authors I bought hardcover books because I couldn't wait.

The Prize, The Secret, and The Ransom are some of my favorites that I still reread every once in awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:46 am 

I just love Julie Garwood!!! She has to be one of my top 5 favourite historical authors. I love her humour, the story, the heros and the heroines.

Like Janice I have re-read The Prize, The Secret, Ransom, The Bride and The Wedding many times. It's like revisiting old friends and family.

Can anyone who has read both her historicals and her contemporaries let me know if the contemporaries have the same sort of humour in them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 am 

Hi All,

The first books I read by Julie Garwood were Medievals and what a wonderful introduction to the author and genre they were.

Medieval Duo - 1102 and 1119 Scotland
1. The Bride (7/89) (A Hot) - My very first JG book.
2. The Wedding (8/96) (A Hot)

Remember the birthing chair in "The Secret" and Iain realizing that Judith had been abused and was frightened when the drinking starts. Love this book and couple.

Early 1200s Medieval Scotland Trilogy
1. The Secret (5/92) (A Hot)
2. Ransom (2/99) (B+ Subtle+)
3. Shadow Music (1/08) (B Subtle+)

Medieval Stand-Alones

Gentle Warrior (TAP 74 - 10/85) (B+ Warm) -- Debut Book - 1086, Medieval England

Honor's Splendour (12/87) (A Hot) -- 1099, Medieval England

The Prize (8/91) (A Hot) -- 1066, William the Conqueror's London Court

Saving Grace (8/93) (A Warm) -- 1206, Medieval England and Scotland

Two More Stand-Alones:

Prince Charming (6/94) (A- Warm) -- 1868, England and America - This book screams for a sequel. It's been screaming since 1994.

Rebellious Desire (TAP 89 - 6/86) (A Hot) -- 1802, Regency England

I love this next series and have re-read it more than once. Who can forget Christina in "The Lion's Lady" pulling her knife on her husband's former mistress. I chuckle out loud just remembering that scene.

And the dinner party in "Castles" when Alesandra dropped the bomb that she had nursed Colin when he was ill. And Colin finding something wrong with every man that appears on a list of eligible bachelors for her. I think even if a reader doesn't care for historicals that this one would be a memorable read.

The Crown's Spies - 1810 ~ 1819 Regency England
1. The Lion's Lady (12/88) (A+ Hot) -- 1810, Mostly England
2. Guardian Angel (5/90) (C+ Hot) -- 1815, Pirate
3. The Gift (1/91) (A Hot) -- 1816, England & the High Seas
4. Castles (7/93) (A+ Hot) -- 1819, London

Don't have my ratings handy for this series:

The Claybornes - 1879, Montana and England
1. For the Roses (9/95)
2. One Pink Rose (6/97)
3. One White Rose (7/97)
4. One Red Rose (8/97)
5. Come the Spring (12/97) -- I pulled this book yesterday to do a re-read. Thinking it will make a good answer for the September Challenge that Robin posted. The witness mystery.

I've read all the RS except for "Fast Track" (8/14) but it is with the historical romances that Julie Garwood shines for me. The only FBI book that I gave an "A" was "Killjoy' (9/02), I did (and do) love the SEALs.

After the multi-book anticipation for Noah Clayborne's falling in love, I was beyond disappointed with "Shadow Dance". Although I did think that the author was trying to give her historical readers a hug with the Scotland tie-in, characters and the humor.

FBI and Friends
1. Heartbreaker (7/00) (C Subtle)
2. Mercy (9/01) (B Subtle)
3. Killjoy (9/02) (A Warm)
4. Murder List (9/04) (B- Subtle+)
5. Slow Burn (9/05) *(B+/D Subtle+)
6. Shadow Dance (1/07) (C- Warm)
7. Fire and Ice (1/09) (B Warm)
8. Sizzle (1/10) (B+ Warm)
9. The Ideal Man (8/11) (B Warm)
10. Sweet Talk (8/12) (B Warm+)
11. Hotshot (8/13) (B Warm+) -- Sexual Harassment
12. Fast Track (8/14)

* 5. Slow Burn Rating: Hero & heroine B+ ~ Secondary Cliché Characters D.

*Jess* ... about the humor in the RS books ... I can't say that I can recall much humor although "Shadow Dance" has some, I believe.

Robin ... read your RT reviews on "For the Roses" and "Come the Spring" yesterday. Well done! Inspired me to do a re-read on Cole Clayborne's book, "Come the Spring". I hope I get to it anyway.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:01 pm 

Janie wrote:
[b][size=115]
The Claybornes - 1879, Montana and England
1. For the Roses (9/95)
2. One Pink Rose (6/97)
3. One White Rose (7/97)
4. One Red Rose (8/97)
5. Come the Spring (12/97) -- I pulled this book yesterday to do a re-read. Thinking it will make a good answer for the September Challenge that Robin posted. The witness mystery.

I forgot about the mystery in the last Clayborne book. I remember I kept changing my mind about who actually witnessed the robbery/murder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:13 pm 

I think I've read everything written by JG. She's a wonderful writer and even the books that aren't her best are better than most. I loved her historicals and I love her contemporaries. I was looking at Janie's post and I have a hard time saying what was my favorite. Probably The Bride for historicals. Contemps is impossible for me to decide, although I agree with Janie that Noah's book could have been better. I do think she has some humor in her books, not as much as say SEP but always something to make me smile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:01 pm 

I always liked how she ended one chapter like "He was an angel," and then the next chapter started with "He was the devil." That made me smile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:36 pm 

I love Julie Garwood. I am reading Fast Track right now. I loved her historical/medievals, and all of her other series. As soon as one of her books comes out, I have to get on the list for it.
I love her all her main characters and secondary characters. Can you tell she is one of my top 5 authors.
I remember the uproar about the made for TV movie For The Roses came out. A lot of people were upset that it didn't follow the book. I didn't care, I just liked the movie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 pm 

Paulette, I side with the others -- I was so upset with that movie I wanted to scream.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
Paulette, I side with the others -- I was so upset with that movie I wanted to scream.

I'm with Linda. I hated the Hallmark version of the book. Why bother basing the movie on the book when they don't even follow it???

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 am 

I guess I am one of the few who actually started with her historicals and LOVED them. I didn't make the transition to her contemporary books as well as some others did. I like my contemporary suspense to be a little intense and dark and hers are just too light. Plus - in her historicals the hero's where always fully committed to the heroine while in the few contemporary books of hers that I have read the hero does not really commit until well into or at the very end of the book.

I prefer that solidarity to happen much sooner in a book and then you get to see their personalities start to mesh together. (OK - not a good description of what I mean so hopefully it was good enough!!).