Post subject: Author of the Week #11 - NALINI SINGH
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:10 am 

Our newest Author of the Week is:

NALINI SINGH

Nalini Singh was born in tropical Fiji and raised in beautiful New Zealand. She has been writing for as long as she can remember. She possesses a practical streak so she attended school and graduated with degrees English literature and law. After almost two years of working in a law firm, she received word that she had sold her first book. She took it as a sign that it was time to switch from law to writing. She is sublimely happy with her decision to follow her dream.

She lives in New Zealand and is currently plotting new travel adventures.

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #11 - NALINI SINGH
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:19 am 

Hi All,

Another easy week for me having read only one of the books.

I remember when the site Dear Author decided to promote the debut book, an experiment on the power of the internet and their site to create sales, I believe it was. Worked for me.

I bought it new at Walmart and then didn't see any more of the series for sale here til about the sixth book in the series. Not a fan of reading out of sequence, so there you go.

Slave to Sensation (9/06)
[Psy-Changeling - 1] (A Hot)

Here are the Series Sequence:

The Psy-Changeling Series
Prequel - »» Beat of Temptation (10/07) -- (A) An Enchanted Season (10/07)
1. Slave to Sensation (9/06)
2. Visions of Heat (3/07)
3. Caressed By Ice (9/07)
3.5 »» Stroke of Enticement (10/08) -- (A) The Magical Christmas Cat (10/08)
4. Mine to Possess (2/08)
5. Hostage to Pleasure (9/08)
6. Branded by Fire (7/09)
7. Blaze of Memory (11/09)
8. Bonds of Justice (7/10)
8.5 »» Whisper of Sin (8/10) -- (A) Burning Up (8/10)
9. Play of Passion (11/10)
9.a Wild Invitation (3/13)
9.b Declaration of Courtship (11/13) (e)
9.c Texture of Intimacy (11/13) (e)
10. Kiss of Snow (6/11)
11. Tangle of Need (6/12)
12. Heart of Obsidian (6/13)
13. Shield of Winter (614)

A Guild Hunter Novel - UF
Prequel - »» Angels' Pawn (2/09) -- (A) Angels' Flight (3/12)
1. Angels' Blood (3/09)
1.5 »» Angels' Judgment (9/09) -- (A) Must Love Hellhounds (9/09) and (A) Angels' Flight (3/12)
2. Archangel's Kiss (2/10)
3. Archangel's Consort (2/11)
4. Archangel's Blade (9/11)
4.5 »» Angels' Wolf (10/11) -- (A) Angels of Darkness (10/11)
5. Archangel's Storm (9/12)
5.5 »» Angels' Dance (3/12) -- (A) Angels' Flight (3/12)
6. Archangel's Legion (11/13)
7. Archangel's Shadows (11/14)

I have no interest in reading books with Angels or Vampires so that cuts down the Wish List quite a bit with this author.

Enjoy!

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 pm 

I haven't read anything by this author. But I've heard so much about her Psy-Changeling series that I really want to read it. I do have the first book in my TBR and am on the lookout for the next several books.

I haven't heard much about her other series. Has anyone tried it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:05 pm 

I have read everything she has put out with the psi/changeling and the Angel series. Love, love, love her.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:06 am 

I just absolutely love Nalini Singh!! Her Psy-Changeling series just makes me so happy while I read and I've become very invested in the world and characters and I like to think of them as friends and family.

I also like her Archangel series, not as much as the above, but still very very good. I am still yet to read any of her contemporary mills and boon, it is very rare for me to read contemporary, but if anyone can make me do it it'll be Nalini.

My only issue with her is that I worry she'll turn into a "Christine Feehan" or "Sherrilyn Kenyon" in that I loved the first 8 or so books, but then they seemed to lose that special spark that made them part of my top 5 authors list and then I'll stop reading her altogether. I am yet to read SHIELD OF WINTER book 13 in the Psy-Changeling series, but after reading book 12 and book 6 in the Archangel series I can honestly say I am still loving her books as much now as I did in the beginning. Maybe even more so now, as you get to catch up on old friends and see how people have grown or get hints of why they are the way that they are ...

I'll stop now or I'll just continue to gush. But if you are a paranormal fan and you haven't read either series yet, do yourself a favour and start with Slave to Sensation or Angels Blood, you can thank me later :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:27 pm 

I'd be willing to try her vampire but Angels don't interest me. I tried J. R. Ward's series and the first was OK but I lost interest. Call it my religious upbringing but I can't see Angels as being particularly sexy. I'll never say never though.

Vampires are another thing though. When I fell for my first vampire (I alternated between J. R. Ward and Charlaine Harris when I first fell), I fell hard. Are her vamps fun and funny or dark and serious. Can they eat food or just blood. Can they walk in daylight or just night?

For these authors I haven't tried before, I'd have to see their books on Kindle Daily Deals or Book Bub to buy really cheap -- or from the library.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:37 pm 

Linda, I believe the Angels are Vampire Hunters in an urban setting in the NL Guild series. If this is an incorrect perception, please correct me, someone.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:22 pm 

Her Guild Hunter series is a world made up of Angels, Vampires and humans. The angels rule and can "make" humans into vampires. The made vampires work for the angels. Some humans are born hunters with special abilities and they hunt down rogue vampires and angels.

Her vampires are dark and serious as opposed to light and funny. They can eat food and walk in daylight. This series has urban settings mostly and can be dark and gritty.

I've read both this series and her Psy-Changeling series, both enjoyable reads for me. I would put the Psy-Changeling above the Guild Hunter series. Something about all that mental power of her Psy characters and the Net, that draws me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:08 pm 

Anna1122 wrote:
I have read everything she has put out with the psi/changeling and the Angel series. Love, love, love her.

Me too!

A few years ago she was in Lexington, KY for a book signing. I was fortunate enough to spend a whole day with her. With some other ladies we toured a horse farm, had lunch and then dinner together. She was also at RAGT that year. She is very nice!

She has an erotica story about a rock star coming out soon.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 am 

Sorry to say this is another author I have not read. I am not into changling's or vampires.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:31 pm 

After reading everyone's comments, I just ordered a bunch of this author's books from paperbackswap. Now I just have to make time to read them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:05 am 

Nalini Singh is one of my all time favorite authors - started with the Psy-Changling series totally fell in love with it and then decided to give the Guild Hunter series a try - never expecting that I would enjoy it and fell in love all over again!!

Angel stories are not my thing but there is just something about these angels that I LOVE!! Totally NOT the heavenly angels you think of at first - they are simply a separate race from humans - same way the psy-changlings are separate from humans. She has the ability to world build and bring it vividly to life.

She is an auto buy on both these series for me - and I will give her rock star book a shot too. :D