Post subject: Author of the Week #9 - SHERRILYN KENYON
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:24 pm 

I missed my weekly author post this weekend, so I'm trying to catch up.

The Author for this week is:

Sherrilyn Kenyon / Kinley MacGregor

Professional Bio:

New York Times and international bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon is a regular at the #1 spot. With legions of fans known as Menyons (thousands of whom proudly sport tattoos from her series and who travel from all over the world to attend her appearances), her books are always snatched up as soon as they appear on store shelves. Since 2004, she had placed more than 65 novels on the New York Times list in all formats including manga and graphic novels. Her current series are: Dark-Hunter, Chronicles of Nick and The League, and her books are available in over 100 countries where eager fans impatiently wait for the next release. Her Chronicles of Nick and Dark-Hunter series are soon to be major motion pictures while Dark-Hunter is also being developed as a television series. Join her and her Menyons online at SherrilynKenyon.com and www.facebook.com/AuthorSherrilynKenyon

The Fun Bio:

The #1 New York Times bestselling author, Sherrilyn Kenyon, who is proud of her mixed Cherokee heritage, lives a life of extraordinary danger… as does any woman with three sons, a husband, a menagerie of pets and a collection of swords that all of the above have a major fixation with. But when not running interference (or dashing off to the emergency room), she’s found chained to her computer where she likes to play with all her imaginary friends. With more than twenty-five million copies of her books in print, in over one hundred countries, she certainly has a lot of friends to play with too.

In the last few years, she has placed more than 65 novels on the New York Times list in all formats including manga. This extraordinary bestseller continues to top every genre she writes. Her current series include: The Dark-Hunters, The League, and Chronicles of Nick.

Her Lords of Avalon novels have been adapted by Marvel, her Dark-Hunter novels are a New York Times bestselling manga published by St. Martins. and the Chronicles of Nick manga are published by Yen Press. Chronicles and Nick and Dark-Hunter are soon to be a major motion picture and the Dark-Hunters are currently being developed as a television series.

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #9 - SHERRILYN KENYON
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:57 pm 

I liked her medieval book, Master of Desire (written under her MacGregor name) from 2001. It stars Draven, Earl of Ravanswood who was ordered to take in his enemy's daughter, Emily, for a year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 am 

Sad to say another author that I have never read. I don't even think I have any of her books in my TBR pile.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:40 am 

Hi All,

Robin, I did wonder where your new author thread was, and who you would pick. So, you were missed. ;)

I've read more of Kinley MacGregor than Sherrilyn Kenyon. But if my Library had kept ordering the BAD books, I would have read more, pretty sure. At least til I saw if they improved.

As to the Dark-Hunters, Dream-Hunters, Chronicles of Nick and The League... it just became too much to keep up with when there are other authors I enjoy reading, too. As my reading time gets more sparse, I am more and more appreciative of single title reads.

Here are the titles and ratings that I found...

BAD Attitude by Sherrilyn Kenyon (9/05) (C- Hot)
[BAD: Bureau of American Defense - 4]

Kinley MacGregor:

The Sea Wolves - 1793s - High Seas
1. Master of Seduction (2/00) (C+ Warm)
2. A Pirate of Her Own (4/99) (F Warm) TSTL

The MacAllisters -
Henry II Medieval England & Scotland
1. Master of Desire (2/01) (B Hot)
2. Claiming the Highlander (3/02) (C+ Warm)
3. Born in Sin (2/03) (B+ Warm)

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 pm 

I really, really liked the first books in her Dark Hunters series. But I kind of think she should have ended the series with Acheron (since he was the big "mystery" in all the previous books in the series.) And I can't really get into the Dream Hunters series. I have several of them in my TBR pile, because I don't know if it's just me (long-term series burnout) & if I give the series a little "time off", they'll pique my interest again. So, we'll see with them. I don't like Manga so I've never read any of the the Nick Chronicles. I'm still reading and enjoying her Lords of Avalon series.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 pm 

Haven't read her at all but I think I have one of hers downloaded to my kindle. This is interesting for me to see who reads what.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:57 pm 

I believe the only books I've read by this author were Master of Seduction and A Pirate of Her Own. Both were just OK for me. Nothing special.

I had some of her Dark Hunter series in my TBR pile. They seemed to be very popular at first, but some of the later reviews were not so favorable. Since the series had so many books in it, I decided that I wasn't going to read it and traded the books. Did I make a mistake?>>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 am 

I have great admiration for Sherri and I have enjoyed most of her books. I was disappointed when she did not continue with the Lords of Avalon series, still waiting for more. I like the Dark-Hunters (though not the last ones with the Native American theme), Dream Hunters, haven't read much of the Nick books (IMO more suited for pre-teen boys). The recent return of her League series holds my interest, looking forward to reading "Born of Fury" soon.

Actually Sherri's books were what led me to reading paranormals. I never liked the old "undead, soulless" vampires. The different versions by Kenyon, Lynsay Sands, J. R. Ward and Lara Adrian are much more to my liking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 pm 

I love - love - Sherrilyn Kenyon.
I have not read any of the Kinley MacGregor nor have I tried any of the Nick novels but all the dark hunters and dream hunters are my favorites. The League series is evolving into something really good that I look forward to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:14 am 

Sherrilyn Kenyon was one of the first "paranormal" authors I read and I LOVED her dark hunter books, I couldn't wait for the new releases to come out and I read and reread those books over and over!! But since the Acheron book came out I haven't ready any further.

They just didn't sound quite as interesting - and I found myself reading the reviews and actually going by some of the reviews - which I rarely do. Maybe I just got burned out on Dark Hunters??? :|