Post subject: Weekend Reading July 25-27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:52 am 

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe it's the end if July already, where did the month go.

We are leaving in a few minutes for my husband's army reunion. This year it's in Southern Indiana.

I'm currently reading the new Johanna Lindsey book -- Stormy Persuission.

Any plans this weekend? What are you reading?

Enjoy your weekend.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Weekend Reading July 25-27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:32 am 

Hi Ladies going to a used book store today finished reading Deadly Affairs by Brenda Joyce and started Trace of Fever by Lori Foster it's a good so far after that not too sure have a super weekend :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:00 am 

Hi All,

Should finish up "Always Watching" by Chevy Stevens (2013) today. I thought I was reading the newest 2014 release but not so. I just posted some thoughts on it on the OHREADER thread on the Mystery Board. Occurs to me there are SPOILERS in my post, so VAW, VAC... Violence Against Women and Children for those who appreciate the warning.

Speaking of "Stormy Persuasion" by Johanna Lindsey... I have that here from the Library and believe I'll try it next for a change of pace. I certainly need a drastic change to immerse myself and a whole new world to explore.

Debbie, you read that one recently, "Stormy Persuasion". How did you like it? Lucky You to have a used book store in the area to shop. I remember those days fondly before they all closed here.

Danielle, looking forward to hearing how the book goes with you. Enjoy your reunion trip with hubby. I am not a social creature so it's a good thing it's you and not me. :wink:

As for my plans... I am still sorting through books seeing what I can donate to the Library and which ones I absolutely cannot part with at this time. Also, cleaning out a storage building that is due to be torn down. Filthy work and my back is protesting today.

Good weekend and happy reading, Everyone.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:21 pm 

I just finished reading Lost in Temptation, an historical by Lauren Royal, (it has a mastiff in it :D ) it's part of a series so will probably read the next one soon.
Think I'll read a contemporary in between though. I just downloaded a box set called Second Chance Romance
so I'll start that next.
No idea what we are doing this weekend yet, hope everyone has a great weekend. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:26 pm 

I'm reading Just This Once by Rosalind James. It's the first in her New Zealand series and I'm enjoying it a lot. After that I'll probably read the 2nd in the Jack Reacher series (it has Dying in the title but darned if I can remember the whole name).

I did something -- not sure what -- to my right shoulder and it's killing me so I won't be doing anything too strenuous this weekend. I'll be going through closets because I have Vietnam Vets coming on Monday to pick up stuff. Sometimes I'd just like to tell them to take everything and then start over. Of course I'd be broke but it's a nice dream.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 pm 

Janie wrote:

As for my plans... I am still sorting through books seeing what I can donate to the Library and which ones I absolutely cannot part with at this time. Also, cleaning out a storage building that is due to be torn down. Filthy work and my back is protesting today.

Good weekend and happy reading, Everyone.

--Janie[/b][/size]

Janie, I need to get rid of my books, too, but that is almost like getting rid of a pair of old, worn-out, comfortable shoes or like leaving good friends. I will donate most of them to the library, but I hope the USB in a nearby town is still operating so I can maybe pickup something different for less money.

I have really been in a reading slump this year. I probably haven't read 10 books all year. I finally, after 3 weeks, finished an old Andrea Kane HR, which was okay. I have selected a Millie Criswell fav to re-read this weekend. I only have two in this three-book series---Sweet Laurel and Prim Rose. I need the first one about Heather. Normally, I do not like series and try to stay away from them, but occasionally, I find some excellent ones. This was one.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 pm 

This week I read Ricochet by Sandra Brown. I liked the mystery/suspense in this book, but wasn't real happy with the romance portion.

Today I started Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong. It's the last book in her Women of the Otherworld series. I hesitate reading it since I don't want this series to end. At least I still have a couple of the short-stories from the series on my kindle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:13 pm 

Hi all.
My brother Tony is in town this weekend for our class reunion. My sister and I aren't going. We went last year and think that having one every year is crazy. It was an "all" year class reunion last year and they are doing the same for this year. Too soon for me.
My brother is the condescending Republican and we all agreed not to talk about politics. That way we all get along with no arguing .
I am in the middle of Now You See Her by Linda Howard. I think I read this a long time ago. Some things are really familiar. I didn't have a card written up on this one so figured I never read it. I also started River Road by Jayne Ann Krentz. I didn't have the Howard book with me, so started RR because I had it in the car because I just picked it up at the library. Both are very good so far.

Before my brother leaves tomorrow, he plans on cooking us spaghetti and meat balls for supper. I can't wait. He is a pretty good cook.

Hope you all have a great weekend. It is raining here now but should clear up by tomorrow. Hope so.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:27 am 

PauletteW wrote:
Hi all.
My brother Tony is in town this weekend for our class reunion. My sister and I aren't going. We went last year and think that having one every year is crazy. It was an "all" year class reunion last year and they are doing the same for this year. Too soon for me.
My brother is the condescending Republican and we all agreed not to talk about politics. That way we all get along with no arguing .
I am in the middle of Now You See Her by Linda Howard. I think I read this a long time ago. Some things are really familiar. I didn't have a card written up on this one so figured I never read it. I also started River Road by Jayne Ann Krentz. I didn't have the Howard book with me, so started RR because I had it in the car because I just picked it up at the library. Both are very good so far.

Before my brother leaves tomorrow, he plans on cooking us spaghetti and meat balls for supper. I can't wait. He is a pretty good cook.

Hope you all have a great weekend. It is raining here now but should clear up by tomorrow. Hope so.

My sons' high school has a school reunion for all classes, every year. They call it an alumni reunion. Sometimes, an individual class will also have a special reunion.

My class had a tenth-year reunion and a 50-year reunion, and those are the only two we've ever had. I was unable to go to either one of them. Always something to spoil the plans, and last year it was medical reasons. After the 50th, some of my classmates were trying to get a class reunion cruise set up for this year. Never heard if it came to fruition.

Paulette, don't be to hard on your brother, Tony. Sounds like you have an intelligent brother. :)

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:23 am 

Judy G. wrote:
PauletteW wrote:
Hi all.

My sons' high school has a school reunion for all classes, every year. They call it an alumni reunion. Sometimes, an individual class will also have a special reunion.

My class had a tenth-year reunion and a 50-year reunion, and those are the only two we've ever had. I was unable to go to either one of them. Always something to spoil the plans, and last year it was medical reasons. After the 50th, some of my classmates were trying to get a class reunion cruise set up for this year. Never heard if it came to fruition.

Paulette, don't be to hard on your brother, Tony. Sounds like you have an intelligent brother. :)

I won't be hard on him, and we ended up crying together yesterday. We were talking about the Vietnam war and he told us how he was spit at, had things thrown at him and awful things people said to him and his buddies when they got home. I had sent him a video of a commercial about an older man sitting at a counter in a restuarant drinking coffee. A young man come in in an army uniform and the waitress gives him his coffee for free for defending our country. As the young man walks to the back of the restuarant, the camera zeros in on a tattoo on the older man's arm--he is a Vietnam vet. A woman with a child asks the young soldier if he will stand with her kid for a picture. Next thing you see the young boy coming up and asking the older man if he could be in a picture with him. The old man asks the kid why and the boy points to the young soldier. When the man looks at the young soldier, the soldier stands at attention and salutes the old man. ( the young soldier recognized the tattoo.) I am crying now just remembering it and writing it for you. Sorry this is so long, but I couldn't find where I saved the video.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:33 pm 

Reading Turn Up The Heat which is an anthology with Lori Foster, Christie Ridgeway and Victoria Dahl. Hope everyone is good. Take care.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:38 pm 

Hi Ladies the Stormy Persuasion was a great one I always read Johanna Lindsey's books

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 pm 

Since Ilona Andrews new Kate Daniels book -- Magic Breaks -- is due out this Tuesday (July 29), I spent some time this weekend re-reading some of the previous books in the series. REALLY looking forward to Magic Breaks!!

I also re-read some of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson books.

And, yes, it's true.... The Fifty Shades of Grey trailer had me going back and re-reading the first book.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 pm 

Debbie wrote:
Hi Ladies the Stormy Persuasion was a great one I always read Johanna Lindsey's books

Thanks Debbie.....I have had no time to read this weekend, I'm so glad you liked this book.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 am 

Debbie wrote:

Thanks, Debbie. My weekend with it was mostly start-stop, start-stop. Hopefully, this week will do better. I'm wondering though if I have the patience right now for two 18-year-olds scamping around manipulating their families. We'll see.

Appreciate your encouraging post.

--Janie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 am 

PauletteW wrote:
I won't be hard on him, and we ended up crying together yesterday. We were talking about the Vietnam war and he told us how he was spit at, had things thrown at him and awful things people said to him and his buddies when they got home. I had sent him a video of a commercial about an older man sitting at a counter in a restuarant drinking coffee. A young man come in in an army uniform and the waitress gives him his coffee for free for defending our country. As the young man walks to the back of the restuarant, the camera zeros in on a tattoo on the older man's arm--he is a Vietnam vet. A woman with a child asks the young soldier if he will stand with her kid for a picture. Next thing you see the young boy coming up and asking the older man if he could be in a picture with him. The old man asks the kid why and the boy points to the young soldier. When the man looks at the young soldier, the soldier stands at attention and salutes the old man. ( the young soldier recognized the tattoo.) I am crying now just remembering it and writing it for you. Sorry this is so long, but I couldn't find where I saved the video.

Paulette, thanks for sharing with us. I'm sure I've never seen the video you mention, else I would remember it.

What an emotional visit with your brother. Saddens me to think of so many of the Viet Nam generation with this pain still with them. I hope there was healing in the tears for Tony.

Hugs to both of you, and thank him for his service from me if you think of it.

--Janie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:05 am 

Judy G. wrote:
Janie, I need to get rid of my books, too, but that is almost like getting rid of a pair of old, worn-out, comfortable shoes or like leaving good friends.

I have selected a Millie Criswell fav to re-read this weekend. I only have two in this three-book series---Sweet Laurel and Prim Rose. I need the first one about Heather. Normally, I do not like series and try to stay away from them, but occasionally, I find some excellent ones. This was one.

Judy, sorting the books and having to make final decisions is very difficult. Parting with old friends and the comfortable feeling of old shoes is a good way to phrase it. Good Luck to both of us on keeping our sprits up.

I read that trilogy and it will be one that I keep. Hope you find the first one. I liked most of the historicals by Millie Criswell but none of the contemporary, as I recall.

Flowers of the West Trilogy - (Americana)
1. Wild Heather (7/95) (A Subtle) --San Francisco
2. Sweet Laurel (3/96) (A Subtle+) -- Denver
3. Prim Rose (12/96) (A- Subtle) --Kansas

--Janie