Post subject: Author of the Week #7 - ELIZABETH LOWELL/ANN MAXWELL
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:02 pm 

Our 7th Author of the Week is:

ELIZABETH LOWELL/ANN MAXWELL/A.E. MAXWELL

Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written seventy novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

Writing as Ann Maxwell, she began her career in 1975 with a science fiction novel, CHANGE. Since then, seven of her nine science fiction novels have been recommended for the Science Fiction Writers of America Nebula Award; A DEAD GOD DANCING was nominated for what was then called TABA (The American Book Award).

In 1976 Ann and Evan (as A. E. Maxwell) collaborated with a Norwegian hunter and photographer, Ivar Ruud, on THE YEAR-LONG DAY, a nonfiction work that was condensed in Reader’s Digest and published in four foreign editions and three book club editions. In 1985, the first A. E. Maxwell crime novel featuring a couple called Fiddler and Fiora was published by Doubleday. The second in the series, THE FROG AND THE SCORPION, received a creative writing award from the University of California. The fourth book in the series, JUST ENOUGH LIGHT TO KILL, was named by Time Magazine as one of the best crime novels of 1988.

Ann and Evan (writing as Ann Maxwell) have published four suspense novels, the most recent of which is SHADOW AND SILK. These novels appeared on nation-wide bestseller lists.

In 1982, Ann began publishing romances as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous professional awards in the romance field, including a Lifetime Achievement award from the Romance Writers of America (1994). Since July of 1992, she has had more than thirty novels on the New York Times list, as well as other national and international best seller lists. Her most recent romantic suspense is BEAUTIFUL SACRIFICE.

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #7 - ELIZABETH LOWELL/ANN MAXWELL
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 am 

Hi All,

One of the things I like best about Elizabeth Lowell is that I come away feeling like I've really learned something about art or jewelry and the country and culture where the books take place... as in The Donovan Series or The Diamond Tiger or Shadow and Silk. One of the things that gets on my nerves is the mental repetition the characters often put us through.

After suffering through four computer crashes, I've lost a lot of data on my ratings and when the books were read. Boo Hoo Hoo.

Here are some of what I've found or remembered. But let me begin with a few of my most favorite EL books ever:

Tell Me No Lies (11/86) (A+ Warm) - Discovered this book because it was on the original RT 200 List. The sexual tension is incredible because they know they are being recorded at all times in the bedroom they share. Theme: Antique Bronze - China

Pearl Cove (6/99) (A Hot) - Unrequited Love and all about the Pearl Industry.

This Time Love (12/02) (A- Hot) -- Most Memorable Kiss in Lost River Cave - Second Chance to Get Love Right

The Wrong Hostage (6/06) (A Warm) - The dark side of Mexico while racing the clock to save a child's life.

Forbidden (10/93) (A Hot) - Amber the Untouched who feels pain whenever she is touched by another person and knows their thoughts. - Scene I'd never read before is when Duncan nurses Amber through the fever.

Only Mine (2/92) (A+ Hot) -- Post Civil War - The frigid Lady Jessie and the angry, frustrated and finally understanding and repentant Wolfe Lonetree.

The Donovan Family
1. Amber Beach (10/97) (B+ Warm)
2. Jade Island (9/98) (A Warm)
3. Pearl Cove (6/99) (A Hot)
4. Midnight in Ruby Bayou (7/00) (A Warm) -- had to drive 40 miles to the next town over to check this one out, my library was late in ordering it.

Disputed Lands Trilogy - Medieval Mystical
1. Untamed (3/93) (A Hot)
2. Forbidden (10/93) (A Hot)
3. Enchanted (8/94) (A Hot)
4. Erik the Keep - his story never written, a true series tragedy. And his showing up in Moving Target doesn't count.
Note: AAR (http://www.likesbooks.com) has great reviews on this trilogy.

Rarieties Unlimited - RS
1. Moving Target (6/01) (B Warm)
2. Running Scared (5/02) (C+ Warm)
3. Die in Plain Sight (6/03) (C Warm)

Only... Western Quartet - Post-Civil War
1. Only His (7/91) (A Hot)
2. Only Mine (2/92) (A+ Hot) (ReRead: (A Hot+)
3. Only You (7/92) (A Hot)
4. Only Love (7/95) (B Hot+)
5. Autumn Lover (4/96) (A Warm)
6. Winter Fire (11/96) (A Warm)

Maxwell Brothers - Post-Civil War
1. Autumn Lover (4/96) (A Warm) - 1995-96 RT Reviewers' Choice -- K.I.S.S. Hero
2. Winter Fire (11/96) (A Warm)

St. Kilda Consulting -- RS
1. Always Time to Die (6/05) (C- Warm)
2. The Wrong Hostage (6/06) (A Warm)
3. Innocent as Sin (6/07) (B Subtle)
4. Blue Smoke and Murder (6/08)] (C Subtle)
5. Death Echo (6/10) (B Subtle)

Stand Alones:

Desert Rain by Elizabeth Lowell (9/96) (D Rated) - I always think of this one as "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" like an old TV commercial.

To the Ends of the Earth (5/98) (B+ Hot)

The Color of Death (6/04) (C+ Warm)

Beautiful Sacrifice (5/12) (C+ Warm+)

Dangerous Refuge (4/13) (B- Warm)

Night Diver (4/14) (C Hot)

Category/Series:
I've read a lot of the series but notes are missing. Alas.
Forget Me Not (SIM 72 - 11/84) (B Warm) - Reissue: Beautiful Dreamer
Fever (SD 415 - 4/88) [Fever - 1] (C+ Hot)

A Woman Without Lies (SIM 81 - 2/85) (D Warm)

Sweet Wind, Wild Wind (SIM 178 - 2/87) (B Warm)

Ann Maxwell:

The Diamond Tiger (6/92) (B+ Warm) - Rewritten: Death is Forever (12/04) by EL

The Secret Sisters (5/93) (B Warm)

The Ruby (2/95) (B Warm) - Retitled - Reissue: Whirlpool (11/06) by EL (B Warm) Re-Read

Shadow and Silk (1/97) (B Warm 1st Read) (C Warm) - Re-Read 2011

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm 

Elizabeth Lowell is pretty much an auto-buy for me. I loved (and still love) her Donovan series....Amber Beach, Jade Island, Pearl Cove, & Midnight in Ruby Bayou. She's also the reason I HATE cliffhangers. She wrote a trio of sci-fi books in the early 80's (as Ann Maxwell) that I loved (Fire Dancer, Dancer's Luck & Dancer's Illusion) which ended in a MAJOR cliffhanger. She had intended to write more, but her publisher (Signet, I believe) discontinued the series. I think they were reprinted in the 90's by Pinnacle, but no new ones were ever done. I keep hoping she'll self-publish a finale to the series, but I don't know if she has the rights to the series or if the publisher retained them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:30 pm 

I haven't had much luck with Elizabeth Lowell's books. I think there may be too much detail for me. My mind seems to wonder while I'm reading her books and I have to keep going back and re-reading the page. Maybe it's the subject matter. She seems to really do a lot of research on her subjects. Most of them really don't interest me.

I've read:
The Color of Death (3 Stars)
Always Time to Die (4 Stars)
Amber Beach (3 Stars)
Dark Fire (3 Stars)
Fever (2 Stars)

Last month I started The Wrong Hostage but only read 150 pages before giving up. A lot of people love her books, but I just have a hard time getting in to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am 

The "Only Series" (Westerns) are the ones I hung onto and remember fondly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm 

Thank you Janie for listing all the books. There are so many I didn't remember (nothing against the books, I just have trouble what I read unless they are really, really exceptional -- and even then I have trouble with the character names).

I love the Disputed Lands trilogy (never heard it called that before). They are the first books I read by EL. Then I went back to the Only and loved those too. I'm loving her contemporaries, especially the rarities and St. Kilda books. The Donovans are great. However, her latest books, while fairly good, aren't quite as good as her older books. I've never read her series book and definitely not all of her Ann Maxwell books -- Diamond Tiger rings a bell though.

She definitely is big on description, sometimes too much. I'm not sure if Beautiful Sacrifice is the one that was set in Central America -- if it is, it's my least favorite. Her sensuality level has gone down over the years also. She must be post menopausal -- I understand completely LOL.

If I were to recommend her to new readers, I'd first ascertain whether they were fans of historicals. If so, I'd start on the Disputed Lands. If contemporaries are their thing, I'd suggest the Donovans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 am 

OHREADER wrote:
She's also the reason I HATE cliffhangers. She wrote a trio of sci-fi books in the early 80's (as Ann Maxwell) that I loved (Fire Dancer, Dancer's Luck & Dancer's Illusion) which ended in a MAJOR cliffhanger. She had intended to write more, but her publisher (Signet, I believe) discontinued the series. I think they were reprinted in the 90's by Pinnacle, but no new ones were ever done. I keep hoping she'll self-publish a finale to the series, but I don't know if she has the rights to the series or if the publisher retained them.

Hi OHREADER,

I had read on a message board somewhere long ago that this great SF series left the readers hanging after three books. I didn't even try to run the books down to read after that.

Unfinished Series Tragedy (LOL) is one of the reasons I have so often refused to start a trilogy or series before I have all the books in my possession.

I used to be just stark solid on this decision but when you have Mary Balogh coming out with a seven-book series, for instance, I wobbled.

Thanks for posting your thoughts here.

--Janie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:00 am 

Robin in PA wrote:
I haven't had much luck with Elizabeth Lowell's books. I think there may be too much detail for me. My mind seems to wonder while I'm reading her books and I have to keep going back and re-reading the page. Maybe it's the subject matter. She seems to really do a lot of research on her subjects. Most of them really don't interest me.

I've read:
The Color of Death (3 Stars)
Always Time to Die (4 Stars)
Amber Beach (3 Stars)
Dark Fire (3 Stars)
Fever (2 Stars)

Last month I started The Wrong Hostage but only read 150 pages before giving up. A lot of people love her books, but I just have a hard time getting in to them.

Robin, I'm surprised that The Wrong Hostage didn't work for you. For me it's the best work she's done in the past several years. Since the Donovan Family for sure.

But, that's how it goes sometimes with authors and readers and makes for fun chatting on the message boards.

Thanks for posting your books and ratings here.

--Janie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:04 am 

Kay wrote:
The "Only Series" (Westerns) are the ones I hung onto and remember fondly.

Kay, I don't have my notes handy on the Only Series, but yesterday I was catching up on the EL inventory and noticed that I had re-read some of those books 3 times. And, I wonder sometimes why I'm not making any progress in the TBR piles. LOL

Thanks for sharing.

--Janie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:13 am 

Linda7849 wrote:
Thank you Janie for listing all the books. There are so many I didn't remember (nothing against the books, I just have trouble what I read unless they are really, really exceptional -- and even then I have trouble with the character names).

I love the Disputed Lands trilogy (never heard it called that before). They are the first books I read by EL. Then I went back to the Only and loved those too. I'm loving her contemporaries, especially the rarities and St. Kilda books. The Donovans are great. However, her latest books, while fairly good, aren't quite as good as her older books. I've never read her series book and definitely not all of her Ann Maxwell books -- Diamond Tiger rings a bell though.

She definitely is big on description, sometimes too much. I'm not sure if Beautiful Sacrifice is the one that was set in Central America -- if it is, it's my least favorite. Her sensuality level has gone down over the years also. She must be post menopausal -- I understand completely LOL.

If I were to recommend her to new readers, I'd first ascertain whether they were fans of historicals. If so, I'd start on the Disputed Lands. If contemporaries are their thing, I'd suggest the Donovans.

Linda, thanks for your note. I was afraid that my response was too wordy but I didn't know when to quit.

Not sure where The Disputed Lands name came from but it's been in my journal since I began keeping notes. It's so old that I don't even have the month and year listed on the books. Need to fix that while it's handy. I agree with you on recommending it to anyone that likes historicals. It's a fabulous trilogy except for that missing fourth book.

The Only Series morphed into two extra books with the Maxwell Brothers dealing with the awful Culpeppers. I kept those last two books checked out at the Library a lot when they first came out. Thinking when I get caught up on the current ones I have out now (8 new ones), I need to do a re-read or maybe a re-scan since time is so limited now.

Yes, for contemporary readers... The Donovan's never gets old. That would be a fine place for a new EL reader to start.

As always enjoyed the chat.

--Janie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:13 pm 

I started out reading her Harlequin and Silhouette books and a few of her early stand alones. She was good but after a few books there seemed to be a plot that was always the same for me. Last fight before they finally get together sort of thing. I haven't read one of her books for a very long time and never any of her Ann Maxwell books.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:50 am 

I read a few of the Donavon books, and they were just so-so with me. I don't read her because I get tired of series books. I know, I'm weird. :) Most of you love books in a series, and it seems authors like writing them. I think that is one reason I don't read as much as I used to.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:07 am 

I have many Elizabeth Lowell books in my TBR piles and have yet to read one! I better get one out and start on it now! If I did read any, I didn't make a card for it in my file or put it on Goodreads. I better get my butt in gear and read one. Any suggestions as to which one I should read first?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:14 am 

Elizabeth Lowell used to be an auto buy for me - my favorites are MOVING TARGET and RUNNING SCARED - those are the ones I loved the most.

I also enjoyed the DONOVAN series and the ST. KILDA series.

Now I have to read the reviews before I will commit to a purchase on her books - some are really hard to get into.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:17 pm 

Gypsy wrote:
Elizabeth Lowell used to be an auto buy for me - my favorites are MOVING TARGET and RUNNING SCARED - those are the ones I loved the most.

I also enjoyed the DONOVAN series and the ST. KILDA series.

Now I have to read the reviews before I will commit to a purchase on her books - some are really hard to get into.

Gypsy, I agree. I also wait for the reviews and a price drop before I buy her books.