Post subject: Author of the Week #5 - KAREN ROSE
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:55 am 

Author of Week #5 is:

KAREN ROSE

Internationally bestselling, RITA-award winning, author Karen Rose was born and raised in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC. She met her husband, Martin, on a blind date when they were seventeen and after they both graduated from the University of Maryland, (Karen with a degree in Chemical Engineering) they moved to Cincinnati, Ohio. Karen worked as an engineer for a large consumer goods company, earning two patents, but as Karen says, “scenes were roiling in my head and I couldn't concentrate on my job so I started writing them down. I started out writing for fun, and soon found I was hooked.”

Her debut suspense novel, DON'T TELL, was released in July, 2003. Since then, she has published fourteen more novels and two novellas. Her fifteenth novel, WATCH YOUR BACK, was released in 2014.

Karen's books have appeared on the bestseller lists of the New York Times, USA Today, London's Sunday Times, and Germany's der Spiegel (#1), and the Irish Times, as well as lists in South Africa (#1) and Australia!

Her novels, I'M WATCHING YOU and SILENT SCREAM, received the Romance Writers of America's RITA award for Best Romantic Suspense for 2005 and 2011. Five of her other books have been RITA finalists. To date, her books have been translated into twenty-four languages.

A former high school teacher of chemistry and physics, Karen lives in Florida with her husband of more than twenty years, her two daughters, two dogs, and a cat.

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #5 - KAREN ROSE
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:02 am 

I've read eight Karen Rose novels and loved every one of them. For some reason, I thought her books were straight suspense. I was happy to find out they are very well written romantic suspense stories.

I like how her characters keep popping up in more than one story, even though the location of her books keep changing. I just checked out her website. It's very nice and lists each character and what books they appear in.

http://www.karenrosebooks.com/

So, if you haven't tried a Karen Rose book yet, I'd start with her first one: Don't Tell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 am 

I'm a longtime Karen Rose fan, too. I put her newest book on my library request list & just got notified that it is in transit to my local library. So, I should be able to read it this weekend (3-day weekend..yeah!) Her books remind me of Mary Burton's. Both write "creepy villain" romantic suspense books. And by creepy villain, I mean stalkery serial killer types.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:03 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
I'm a longtime Karen Rose fan, too. I put her newest book on my library request list & just got notified that it is in transit to my local library. So, I should be able to read it this weekend (3-day weekend..yeah!) Her books remind me of Mary Burton's. Both write "creepy villain" romantic suspense books. And by creepy villain, I mean stalkery serial killer types.

The only Mary Burton books I've read were historical romances. I'm going to have to try one of her romantic suspense. Anyone who reminds you of Karen Rose has to be alright.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 am 

Hi All,

I discovered Karen Rose in late October 2004 with the third book in the Women's Shelter, Hanover House series, "I'm Watching You" (10/04). Didn't find her debut book in that series until April 2006, "Don't Tell" (7/03) and read in sequence after that. Looks like I lost track of her after "You Belong to Me" (6/11). I bought all her books new but then she stopped showing up on the retail shelves in my town and I've gotten behind.

Not saying that I won't read her again but am recalling it was an effort to keep up with all the characters and victims and being inside the serial killer's head.

Fantastic Fiction has "Closer Than You Think" (2014) on her page, but no month of publication listed, as is their way, which makes me crazy. Amazon does not list it yet, so must be in the latter part of this year. Scanned through author's website and didn't see it either. She has a members only section, what I think of as the In Crowd (LOL), and I'm not a member so maybe there is info there about it.

Here's how the books rated with me...

Hanover House - Women's Shelter
1. Don't Tell (7/03) (B- Subtle+)
2. Have You Seen Her? (2/05) (C+ Warm)
3. I'm Watching You (10/04) (A- Warm)
4. Nothing to Fear (8/05) (B+ Warm+)
4.5 Dirty Secrets (1/14) (e) - digital only
5. You Can't Hide (4/06) (B+ Warm)
6. Count to Ten (2/07) (A Warm/Hot)
7. I Can See You (8/09) (B Warm)
8. Silent Scream (6/10) - do not have yet

Vartanian Family
1. Die For Me (9/07) (A- Subtle+)
2. Scream For Me (5/08) (B Hot)
3. Kill For Me (2/09) (B- Warm)

Baltimore
1. You Belong to Me (6/11) (B Warm)
2. No One Left to Tell (6/12)
3. Did You Miss Me? (2/13)
3.5 Broken Silence (10/13) (e) - digital only
4. Watch Your Back (2/14)

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:36 pm 

Janie wrote:
Fantastic Fiction has "Closer Than You Think" (2014) on her page, but no month of publication listed, as is their way, which makes me crazy. Amazon does not list it yet, so must be in the latter part of this year.

Seems like her books come out 1 a year and her latest (WATCH YOUR BACK) came out in Feb of this year, so I wouldn't expect CLOSER THAN YOU THINK to come out before end of year if not the beginning of 2015.

Robin in PA wrote:
The only Mary Burton books I've read were historical romances. I'm going to have to try one of her romantic suspense. Anyone who reminds you of Karen Rose has to be alright.

I've never read any of Mary Burton's historicals...guess I'll have to check the library for those. Her latest romantic suspense, YOU'RE NOT SAFE, was the first or second in her Texas Rangers series & was really good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:40 pm 

I've read Have You Seen Her and Count to Ten by Karen Rose. Both of them I marked as "excellent", my highest rating. I'm not sure why I quit reading her. Maybe the stories didn't stay with me. Maybe other authors got in the way. I'm going to have to give another one of her books another try.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:26 am 

I am a great fan of Karen Rose. Her Romantic Suspense are written well with a mixture of suspense, romance, and plain edge of the seat terror. I always rate her books a high 4.5 stars.
Here is my list of her books I read and highly recommend.

YOU CAN'T HIDE
SILENT SCREAM
SCREAM FOR ME
DON'T TELL
NOTHING TO FEAR
I CAN SEE YOU
KILL FOR ME

I have a lot more of her books in my TBR file. I highly recommend her for suspense and romantic suspense. I am going to her site and find the Texas Ranger Series. I love anything about written Texas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 pm 

I've read a couple of the Karen Rose romantic suspense books a few years ago - have to admit that at the time they really creeped me out!! They were so intense!! I will have to give another a try now - I've learned to toughen up a little the past couple years!!