Post subject: Author of the Week #3 - MARY JO PUTNEY/M.J. PUTNEY
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 pm 

Author of the Week for week #3 is:

Mary Jo Putney (aka M.J. Putney)

A New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USAToday bestselling author, Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. Her entire romance writing career is an accidental byproduct of buying a computer for other purposes.

Her novels are known for psychological depth and intensity and include historical and contemporary romance, fantasy, and young adult fantasy. Winner of numerous writing awards, including two RITAs and two RT BOOK REVIEWS Career Achievement awards, she has five times had books listed among the Library Journal's top five romances of the year, and three times had books among the top ten romances of Booklist, the magazine of the American Library Association.
Her favorite reading is great stories, but in a pinch she'll settle for the backs of cereal boxes. She's delighted that e-publishing can now make available books that have been out of print.

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #3 - MARY JO PUTNEY/M.J. PUTNEY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 am 

For some reason I haven't read this author in years. My favorite book by Mary Jo Putney is The Rake. I read it in one sitting and totally loved it.

I give high marks to her Fallen Angels series. My favorites from that series was Thunder & Roses and One Perfect Rose.

I have lots of her books in my TBR pile. Any suggestions on which I should try?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 am 

I do love Mary Jo Putney. She writes books that you can fall into and the characters become your best friends and family.

I like her "Guardian" and "Lost Lords" series best, but I love historical fantasy. The Rake was brilliant as you say. I'm currently away from home, but I think I'm due a re-read when I get back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:42 am 

I came to discover Mary Jo Putney late in my historical romance reading cycle - I know I read several of her books but I can't remember which ones. When I moved away from historicals (haven't read one in years) I lost track of Mary Jo Putney. I didn't even realize that she wrote anything besides historicals!!! I will have to check out her contemporaries. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:03 pm 

My favorite MJP book is THE BARGIN. I have read and re-read it over the years. My second favorite is THE RAKE.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:53 pm 

My favorites are her short holiday stories in the Regency Christmas Anthologies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:08 pm 

Like Gypsy, I started out late reading also but not as late as she did. I started out reading the Fallen Angels series but all the book were written when I read them. MJP writes a great tortured soul:

1. Thunder and Roses (1993)
aka Fallen Angel
2. Petals in the Storm (1993)
3. Dancing on the Wind (1994)
4. Angel Rogue (1995)
5. Shattered Rainbows (1996)
6. River of Fire (1996)
7. One Perfect Rose (1997)

I read her contemporaries and enjoyed them but not as much as her historicals. Her most recent series, the Lost Lords is great IMHO. She's one of the few historical writer that I still read, although I keep wanting to go back to some other authors but never seem to have the time. I think her books read as easily as the first "bodice rippers" without the rape, etc. that was in those early books. Those 7 books I listed are still my favorites and honestly, I can't choose between them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:10 pm 

Lindy wrote:
My favorite MJP book is THE BARGIN. I have read and re-read it over the years. My second favorite is THE RAKE.

I have The Bargain in my TBR pile. It sounds like a storyline that would interest me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:10 pm 

Kay wrote:
My favorites are her short holiday stories in the Regency Christmas Anthologies.

I don't think I've ever read any of her Christmas stories. Will have to check them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:11 pm 

Gypsy wrote:
I came to discover Mary Jo Putney late in my historical romance reading cycle - I know I read several of her books but I can't remember which ones. When I moved away from historicals (haven't read one in years) I lost track of Mary Jo Putney. I didn't even realize that she wrote anything besides historicals!!! I will have to check out her contemporaries. :mrgreen:

I'm like you. I've only read her historicals. I think I have a contemporary in my TBR pile, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:13 pm 

*Jess* wrote:
I do love Mary Jo Putney. She writes books that you can fall into and the characters become your best friends and family.

I like her "Guardian" and "Lost Lords" series best, but I love historical fantasy. The Rake was brilliant as you say. I'm currently away from home, but I think I'm due a re-read when I get back.

Kay, do you know how many books are in her Lost Lords series? I know I have one or two of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:15 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
Like Gypsy, I started out late reading also but not as late as she did. I started out reading the Fallen Angels series but all the book were written when I read them. MJP writes a great tortured soul:

1. Thunder and Roses (1993)
aka Fallen Angel
2. Petals in the Storm (1993)
3. Dancing on the Wind (1994)
4. Angel Rogue (1995)
5. Shattered Rainbows (1996)
6. River of Fire (1996)
7. One Perfect Rose (1997)

I read her contemporaries and enjoyed them but not as much as her historicals. Her most recent series, the Lost Lords is great IMHO. She's one of the few historical writer that I still read, although I keep wanting to go back to some other authors but never seem to have the time. I think her books read as easily as the first "bodice rippers" without the rape, etc. that was in those early books. Those 7 books I listed are still my favorites and honestly, I can't choose between them.

I loved that series.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:24 am 

Robin in PA wrote:
*Jess* wrote:

Kay, do you know how many books are in her Lost Lords series? I know I have one or two of them.

Amazon shows a kindle bundle of Lost Lords with 5 books in it and it also looks like there are a few more listed like Never less Than a Lady and Not Quite a Wife but I'm not sure how many total there are. I have only read a few of these.

I like the Regency Christmas Anthologies that also include authors like Mary Balogh, Carla Kelly, and Edith Layton.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 am 

Robin in PA wrote:
*Jess* wrote:

Officially there are 6 books in the series so far. But Mary Jo Putney wrote a book called "The Marriage Spell" (historical fantasy) back in 2006, but I believe she changed publishers and the new publishers didn't want her to continue the series with a fantasy feel. So she rewrote the "second" book and every book since as just a historical and created a new series.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:11 am 

I am surprised at myself because I never read any of her books. Sounds like I would really enjoy them. I have to check out her book lists and pick out a couple to read. I know lots of people who love her books.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 am 

Hi All,

Mary Jo Putney is still one of my favorite authors. I've read a couple of her contemporary books (which have since been reprinted with new titles) but much prefer the historicals.

She is one of the first authors I read when discovering romance and if I'd only known at the time that it wasn't a passing fancy with me (reading romance), I would surely have started rating the books sooner.

Here's some of what I have in the journal:

The Lost Lords - 1812 ~ 1813
1. Loving a Lost Lord (7/09) (B Warm)
2. Never Less than a Lady (5/10) (A Warm)
3. Nowhere Near Respectable (5/11) (B Subtle+)
4. No Longer a Gentleman (5/12) (A- Warm)
5. Sometimes a Rogue (9/13) (B+ Warm) - 26-years-old Virgin heroine with tattoo - Hero is Bow Street Runner turned Earl.

6. Not Quite a Wife [8-26-14] - Here's the blurb:
James, Lord Kirkland, owns a shipping fleet, half a London gaming house, and is a ruthlessly effective spymaster. He is seldom self-indulgent...except when it comes to the gentle, indomitable beauty who was once his wife. Laurel Herbert gave James her heart as an innocent young girl - until she saw him perform an act of shocking violence before her very eyes. That night she left her husband, and he let her go without a word of protest. Now, ten years later, a chance encounter turns passionate, with consequences that cannot be ignored. But as they try to rebuild what was broken, they must face common enemies and a very uncommon love.

The Silk Trilogy - Victorian
1. Silk and Shadows (12/91) (A Warm)
2. Silk and Secrets (7/92) (A Warm)
3. Veils of Silk (12/92) (A Subtle) -- Impotent Hero

The Bride Trilogy
1. The Wild Child (8/99) (A Warm)
2. The China Bride (8/00) (A Warm)
3. The Bartered Bride (4/02) (B+ Warm)

Fallen Angels - Chronological Order
1. Thunder and Roses (5/93)
1.5 The Bargain (10/99) (B+ Subtle)
2. Dancing on the Wind (10/94)
3. Petals in the Storm (12/93) (A Hot) (Recent Re-Read: B+ Subtle+/Warm)
4. Angel Rogue (4/95) (B+ Warm)
5. Shattered Rainbows (2/96) (A+ Hot)
6. River of Fire (11/96)
7. One Perfect Rose (7/96)
8. The Rake (4/97) (A Subtle)

The Guardians - Georgian Paranormal
Prequel: »» The Alchemical Marriage (2/04) -- (A) Irresistible Forces (2/04)
1. A Kiss of Fate (7/04) (A Warm) -- 1745
2. Stolen Magic (6/05) (B+ Subtle) -- 1748
3. A Distant Magic (8/07) - have not read

Note: A Kiss of Fate: Only by becoming Duncan's wife, and ultimately betraying the man she loves, can she avert disaster. Oh my. This was a heartbreaker, Gwyenne knowing from the onset what she would have to do.

Shattered Rainbows
1. Shattered Rainbows (2/96) (A+ Hot) - mother
2. The Bartered Bride (4/02) (B+ Warm) - daughter

Note: Many if not all of the original Trad Regencies have been rewritten, retitled, and expanded to blend with the Fallen Angel series. Here are a couple and recalling that Angel Rogue and the Runaway is now Angel Rogue in the Fallen Angels series. I remember it was confusing at times to sift through the original to revised characters and, if I'm not mistaken, plot points.

The Davenport Family - Trad Regency
1. The Diabolical Baron (11/87) (B+ Kisses) - Expanded and Retitled: The Bargain (10/99)
2. The Rake and the Reformer (9/89) (A Subtle) - Expanded and Retitled: The Rake (4/97)

Others I've read:

»» The Wedding of the Century (6/94) (A- Subtle) -- 1880s, Victorian New England and England -- (A) Bride By Arrangement (8/00) -- HR

Dearly Beloved (3/90) (B Warm) -- Regency England

Uncommon Vows (4/91) - Medieval - Note: Reader Recommended, haven't read yet.

Fantastic Fiction Page - at the bottom are some of her recommendations:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/mary-jo-putney/

--Janie

So many books, so little time.