Post subject: Author of the Week #2 - LINDA HOWARD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:13 pm 

Linda S. Howington (born August 3, 1950 in Alabama, United States) is an American best-selling romance/suspense author under her pseudonym Linda Howard. Before she became a writer, she was an avid reader and fond of Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. She currently lives in Gadsden, Alabama with her husband, Gary F. Howington, and two golden retrievers. She has three grown stepchildren and three grandchildren.

So, which of Linda's books would you recommend to friends? Which ones didn't work for you? Do you have a favorite character that Linda created?

Post subject: Re: Author of the Week #2 - LINDA HOWARD
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:00 am 

I have read some of Linda Howards' romantic suspense books and really enjoyed them. I would recommend all of her books for anyone to read. The only one I didn't care to read was one she wrote about Vampires.
Here's my list of her books I have read and enjoyed and would tell anyone who loves RS to read.

Drop Dead Gorgeous
Kiss Me While I Sleep
To Die For
Ice
Mr. Perfect
All the Queen's Men (one of my favs---loved John Medina)
Prey
Kill & Tell
Veil of Night

I have more of her books in my TBR stack to read but haven't got to them yet. Now that I am reminded about her, I may go pull a couple out to read.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:47 am 

One of my favorites! I think I've read everything she's written as an individual and none of her books written with other people.

I've always said Kill and Tell is my favorite but Cry No More, Death Angel and All the Queen's Men come close. Oops, I forgot Mr. Perfect, although that one was a little more light-hearted. Cry No More has one of the best epilogues of any book I've read. I can cry buckets just thinking about it.

Linda Howard writes incredible sex scenes. Not inordinately graphic like some of today's but emotional and IMHO the best kind.

She's overdue for a new book and I miss her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:06 pm 

One of my all-time favorite authors!

The first book I read by LH was Sarah's Child, given to me by a friend. At that time I went back, searched, found and read her backlist. From that time forward I've bought her books and continue to reread them when I need a comfort read.

There are two exceptions to the above statement - Sun of the Morning, a time travel genre which I rarely read. DeathAngel also falls into this category although I did buy and read it. Don't recall any vampire books so I guess I missed those too.

My LH favorites are:

Touch of Fire
Angel Creek
The Mackenzies series (some books better than others)
Dream Man
Mr Perfect
Cry No More - loved this one; though heartbreaking
All the Queen's Men (Medina - 'nuff said)
Kill and Tell

Her writing encompasses a huge range of emotional feelings; laughter, poignancy, thrills and wounded but redeemable characters - everything to grab your attention and keep you reading.

Having said all of the above, I'm hearing mixed things about her new book An Independent Wife. I think I may get it from the library. Has anyone read it? What did you think?

Dani

"Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on." Samuel Butler, English poet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:31 pm 

I went back to my stack of LH paperback books and discovered An Independent Wife. My book indicates it was published in 1982 so new one must be 2014 re-release with a new cover.

My notes indicate " hero is an overbearing jerk". Glancing through the book he appears to be an abuser. Therefore, I would not recommend it.

Dani

"Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on." Samuel Butler, English poet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:08 pm 

Dani wrote:
I went back to my stack of LH paperback books and discovered An Independent Wife. My book indicates it was published in 1982 so new one must be 2014 re-release with a new cover.

My notes indicate " hero is an overbearing jerk". Glancing through the book he appears to be an abuser. Therefore, I would not recommend it.

Dani

The first couple of books I read by LH I didn't like because I thought the guy was a jerk. I can't remember the name and I wonder if this was it. Is it strictly a reissue or is she revamping it a bit?

I want a new one by her. No reissues and no doing them with another author. I wonder if she has writer's block or just doesn't want to bother anymore since she's probably pretty rich by now. Didn't she have problems with a stalker or something a few years back?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:02 pm 

My favorites are the funny ones. I liked Veil of Night where the h is a wedding planner and the H is a detective. I also liked the Blair and Wyatt stories, To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Other favorites include Duncan's Bride, Open Season (h has a great makekeover, the Party Pak and mauve), and the first romance book I ever read, Mr. Perfect.

I miss her writing and hope to see a new book out some day.

Last edited by Kay on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:50 pm 

Kay wrote:
My favorites are the funny ones. I liked Veil of Night where the h is a wedding planner and the H is a detective. I also liked the Blair and Wyatt stories, To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Other favorites include Duncan's Bride, Open Season (h has a great makekeover, the Party Pak and mauve), and the first romance book I ever read, Mr. Perfect.

Kay, you mentioned most of my favorites. I love Linda Howard's humor. My favorite is Mr. Perfect with To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous right behind it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 pm 

Dani wrote:

Dani

I have to say I hated An Independent Wife. I think it was her first book. Thankfully her writing has changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:57 pm 

Some of my favorites (besides Mr. Perfect) are:

Up Close and Dangerous
Prey
Dream Man
MacKenize's Mountain (whole series)

I want to include Ice on this list. I loved the suspense in that book. I was on the edge of my seat the whole book. Thought it was well-written but too short for the romance portion to be believable. I wish she would have added another 100+ pages and worked on the romance a bit more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:27 pm 

Robin in PA wrote:
Kay wrote:

Kay, you mentioned most of my favorites. I love Linda Howard's humor. My favorite is Mr. Perfect with To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous right behind it.

Those are the three that I re-read the most. I haven't been able to re-read Cry No More. It is just too emotional.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:43 pm 

Cry No More is my very favorite because it is an emotional read. I agree with Linda about the epilogue. After that, All the Queen's Men. Then comes Mr. Perfect, Open Season, Dream Man, and Up Close and Personal. To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous were good. I thought the one where the heroine won a lottery, wound up with her friend on a cruise was pretty good. I think it was called Burn.

Of her older ones, I liked Mackenzie's Mountain, the only one of that series I read.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:31 am 

Ahhhh Linda. Love her! My favorites were her early series books.

Just like most of you The Mackenzie Saga of books were awesome!

My favorite rereads are always: Mr. Perfect, Diamond Bay & White Lies. Love, love, love White Lies.

John Medina ~ All The Queen's Men along with
Cry No More are personal favorites.

She kept me reading romance along with Judith McNaught & Jude Deveraux.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:12 pm 

Linda Howard has always been my #1 favorite author - she is still an auto buy for me.

ALL THAT GLITTERS is the one book that she has written that I absolutely HATE. The so-called hero is an absolute JERK and if I had read that book first I never would have read another book my Linda - that's how much I hated that book!!

My first Linda Howard read was OPEN SEASON and I just loved it - I then got my hands on her entire backlist and read them all. :mrgreen:

My favorites are:

Dream Man
Open Season (don't forget Puce!!)
Mackenzies Mountain
A Game of Chance (part of the Mackenzie series)
To Die For
Drop Dead Gorgeous - LOVE BLAIR AND WYATT!!
Cry No More - I re-read every few years - so incredibily emotional!!
Cover of Night
Mr. Perfect - this one is a GREAT read with lots of fun and intensity.
Shades of Twilight
Now You See Her

I guess you could say with the exception of All That Glitters I loved them all.

I was excited to see a new book listed from her in November 2014 and then realized it is just a re-release of two old books - how disappointing that is!! I'm wondering if she is moving toward retiring from writing - she is in her 60's now and might want to just relax and enjoy life. I would be heartbroken - but I would understand.

LOL - I'm feeling a re-read coming on!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:15 pm 

She has a new one, HUSH, that's supposed to come out Dec 2, 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:37 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
She has a new one, HUSH, that's supposed to come out Dec 2, 2014.

Hey OHREADER - the only "Hush" coming out in December (that I could find) was by Karen Robards - it looks good and I love Karen Robards - but I couldn't find one by Linda Howard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:49 pm 

Gypsy wrote:
Hey OHREADER - the only "Hush" coming out in December (that I could find) was by Karen Robards - it looks good and I love Karen Robards - but I couldn't find one by Linda Howard.

You are right...my bad! I went to Amazon & put Linda Howard's name in & clicked on "Linda Howard new releases 2014" and HUSH came up. Didn't notice that it was Karen Robards' book. Sometimes Amazon's search is a little goofy...I should have looked at that a little closer. It does look good though! I'm a Karen Robards fan as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:11 pm 

Linda Howard was one of the first romance authors I read. I started reading romance about 10 years ago, by the time I read some earlier books from the 80's, especially All that Glitters / An Independent Wife, Cutting Edge, they were very dated and I did not enjoy them.

I recommend The Mackenzies, After the Night, Duncan's Bride, Mr. Perfect, Dream Man, Killing Time, To Die For.

I like the way she sets up her romantic suspense stories and lets you get into the heads of the villians, so they seem human, not just crazy, evil monsters.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 pm 

booksreader7 wrote:
I like the way she sets up her romantic suspense stories and lets you get into the heads of the villians, so they seem human, not just crazy, evil monsters.

You mentioned something that is usually a pet peeve for me....getting into the head of the villain. For some reason I usually hate when an author does that. They are usually so warped and thinking about how they are going to kill their victims and stuff like that. And I don't like the fact that we never really get enough clues to tell us the identity of the villain. But when Linda Howard writes a villain and gets into their heads, it doesn't bother me. I was totally engrossed when reading Dream Man. I loved that the heroine could get into the villain's head and would see the crime through his eyes. Linda did a great job with that book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 pm 

Many of you have mentioned Cry No More. I'll have to read that one soon.