Post subject: The Collector by Nora Roberts
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:59 am 

I finished this over the weekend. Here's the blurb from Amazon where it got 4 1/2 stars average from 635 reviews:

Quote:
When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one. . . .

Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession. . . .

I really liked this book. There is a secondary romance that I liked -- always a plus. NR does descriptions like no one else IMHO. The heroine is a house sitter so you get to visit some really wonderful sounding homes. The hero is an artist (rich) with his own NY home with 3 floors! They travel to Tuscany and you can literally feel the sun and taste the wine with her words.

The negatives -- last chapter of the book, the heroine develops some serious TSTL traits. Also, this book really could have used an epilogue -- but I think all books should have epilogues.

If you blow hot and cold on NR which I do, this one is a good one IMHO.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Re: The Collector by Nora Roberts
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:32 am 

Linda7849 wrote:
I finished this over the weekend. Here's the blurb from Amazon where it got 4 1/2 stars average from 635 reviews:

Quote:
When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one. . . .

Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession. . . .

I really liked this book. There is a secondary romance that I liked -- always a plus. NR does descriptions like no one else IMHO. The heroine is a house sitter so you get to visit some really wonderful sounding homes. The hero is an artist (rich) with his own NY home with 3 floors! They travel to Tuscany and you can literally feel the sun and taste the wine with her words.

The negatives -- last chapter of the book, the heroine develops some serious TSTL traits. Also, this book really could have used an epilogue -- but I think all books should have epilogues.

If you blow hot and cold on NR which I do, this one is a good one IMHO.

Like you, I blow hot and cold on NR, although I only read these stand alone RS books. I finished this last week. I thought it was one of the best she has written in a long time.

It was good that I had read your review of it because, IIR, the reviews on Amazon were not very complementary.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:00 pm 

I loved this book - best in quite a while. I listened to the audio version and the narrator did a FABULOUS job. The book really can alive or me.

Two thumbs up from me!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 pm 

Gypsy wrote:
Two thumbs up from me!!

Me, too. I read this yesterday & really enjoyed it!

Linda7849 wrote:
The negatives -- last chapter of the book, the heroine develops some serious TSTL traits.

I don't remember her doing anything too stupid in the last chapter. There were a couple of moments in the book where I thought she was too "I don't need anyone's help" but given her character's background, I could see why she might be like that. And it did seem like she was trying to let Ash & her friends in a little more. The only thing that really could have been a TSTL moment was when she followed the assassin....although as she told Ash, she knew the risk & she made sure she wasn't seen following her.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:20 pm 

OHREADER wrote:
I don't remember her doing anything too stupid in the last chapter. There were a couple of moments in the book where I thought she was too "I don't need anyone's help" but given her character's background, I could see why she might be like that. And it did seem like she was trying to let Ash & her friends in a little more. The only thing that really could have been a TSTL moment was when she followed the assassin....although as she told Ash, she knew the risk & she made sure she wasn't seen following her.

Those were exactly the things that I thought made her TSTL (but just toward the end). Following the assassin? I thought she was an idiot -- but then the story wouldn't have been as good without it LOL. Also her not letting anyone in? Ash was a great lover, wonderful to her, supported her writing, she liked his mother and his friend was the lover of her friend -- Only an idiot wouldn't let him in. She wasn't an idiot throughout the book, just these points and I understand they were added for drama. They weren't major things for me and I loved the book, just the "only" negatives. Her acting the dimwit with the "collector" just seemed out of character to me.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:02 am 

I really enjoyed this book too. This, and Whiskey Beach, her last stand alone, were both awesome.

Nora is so descriptive, you can see in your head everything she sees. That is one thing I have always loved about her.

I am curious though, how could the comments on Amazon be so uncomplimentary, and yet it gets 4 1/2 stars?

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 pm 

I really enjoyed this book too. Liked how Lila wouldn't just jump into the relationship. Loved finding out she was sort of a kick ass woman. Lots of suspense and mystery.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:53 pm 

Hi All,

The Collector by Nora Roberts (4/14) (B Warm)
Read by Julia Whelan - a fine job.

I enjoyed the evolving relationship of Lila and Ash for the most part. Without going into SPOILER territory, they both drove me bonkers with some of their decisions.

The second-chance-to-get-it-right for their best friends, Julie and Luke, I enjoyed very much.

Thomas, the cat, and Earl Grey, the teacup poodle, were delightful additions.

Seeing the art they came across throughout the book and Ash's process as he "painted what he saw" with Lila was most enjoyable.

The "F..." word was an intrusion that I do not need or appreciate. It was especially rattling because I was listening to the book and there was no skimming over it.

Also, thought that the word phrase, "What?" was over used. Possible that it stood out because I was listening to the book.

Not one of my most favorites from Nora Roberts, but it had its moments.

Had posted these thoughts on the June Challenge for RS, thought to move over here and update something after reading "Field of Prey" by John Sandford.

Lila carries around a Leatherman tool in her purse. And a few days later I'm reading the newest in the Lucas Davenport series and a waitress has a Leatherman tool in her apron or maybe it was somewhere else on her person when she is kidnapped.

I'd never heard of this tool before reading these two new 2014 books. Did a Google search and it doesn't look anything like I had it pictured in my mind... the word "leather" giving the wrong impression. The pictures I saw were all metal. I'm thinking these might be a good Christmas gift for everyone.

Does anyone recall reading about a Leatherman in other books? Just curious.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:21 pm 

OK Janie, I give up and I'm too lazy to look it up. What is a leatherman tool. Something that pokes holes into leather? I can't remember it in the book and I certainly can't remember it's context which might have been able to give me hints as to what it is. You learn something new everyday and someone else here might not know either.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:20 am 

Linda7849 wrote:
OK Janie, I give up and I'm too lazy to look it up. What is a leatherman tool. Something that pokes holes into leather? I can't remember it in the book and I certainly can't remember it's context which might have been able to give me hints as to what it is. You learn something new everyday and someone else here might not know either.

Linda,

Leatherman is one of the guys who invented it. Think of the old-time Swiss Army Knives updated and slimmed down and you'll have an idea of it. There are many models.

Remember when Lila was always whipping out her tool to fix something? Luke's glasses, for example the first time they met.

I was going to link to Google images of the Leatherman but they don't make it easy. If you want the true picture it will take about a minute's effort.

http://www.Google.com
then type in:
Leatherman Tool Images

-- Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:37 am 

Janie wrote:
Linda7849 wrote:

Linda,

Leatherman is one of the guys who invented it. Think of the old-time Swiss Army Knives updated and slimmed down and you'll have an idea of it. There are many models.

Remember when Lila was always whipping out her tool to fix something? Luke's glasses, for example the first time they met.

I was going to link to Google images of the Leatherman but they don't make it easy. If you want the true picture it will take about a minute's effort.

http://www.Google.com
then type in:
Leatherman Tool Images

-- Janie

I just looked it up and it looks amazing! I couldn't get the picture to get the image either. I tried everything I knew of how to get it.