Post subject: YA or NA...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:39 pm 

I have read some really good YA and NA lately. A few that come to mind are Sea of Tranquility (favorite book in a long time and highly recommend it), Easy by Tammara Webber, Cinder and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, Eleanor and Park, and Back to You by Priscilla Glenn.

Does anyone else read these types of books and if so do you all have any recommendations? I was going to put this on the YA board but it does not seem too active.

Btw, I do not really like paranormal type books.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: YA or NA...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:53 pm 

Not really into YA books, so I don't usually seek them out. The only one I did get into was Sherrilyn Kenyon's Nick Chronicles---which is a paranormal. A while back, I started reading Twilight series---hated it---didn't make it past the first few chapters...also a paranormal. I did get into The Hunger Games...which is sort of futuristic. And of course Harry Potter was my all time favorite young people book.

Sorry...I can't help you much...I know all these are paranormals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 pm 

NA for me too.

I read Twilight. Loved. My son has read The Nick Chronicles but I have not. I never read Harry Potter either. My son loved The Hunger Games Triology and all the Cirque Du Freak books.

Unfortunately...all paranormals....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:54 pm 

I just downloaded Easy by Tammara Webber. It looked good so I thought I'd give it a shot. Plus it was cheap!

Other than that, I think Twilight is the only YA series I've read -- that I know of.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:48 pm 

Linda,

I really enjoyed Easy. It was the first NA that I read. My absolute favorite though is Sea of Tranquility. I could not put it down.

Let me know if you like Easy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:24 pm 

I didn't read YA when I was a YA. I am not interested in it as an actual adult. It's yet another "flavor of the month" book trend wise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am 

Kelly C. wrote:
I didn't read YA when I was a YA. I am not interested in it as an actual adult. It's yet another "flavor of the month" book trend wise.

Well said Kelly. I feel the same way.

I did read all of the Harry Potter books. My daughter was in 4th grade when the first one came out, and I wanted to see what it was all about. Never had books like that when I was a kid! I do like paranormal books, but the Chronicles of Nick never appealed to me either when Kenyon started in with them. I would have much preferred that she left Nick in the regular DH series than spin him off.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 am 

YA is young adult and NA is what? I have not tried these because of the age factor. I feel weird reading stories about kids younger than my own. Especially if there is a romance involved. My daughter loved the Hunger Games series and thought I would like the books--but told me not to see the movies because I wouldn't like them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:31 pm 

HeatherBrown wrote:
YA is young adult and NA is what? I have not tried these because of the age factor. I feel weird reading stories about kids younger than my own. Especially if there is a romance involved. My daughter loved the Hunger Games series and thought I would like the books--but told me not to see the movies because I wouldn't like them.

NA is "new adult" which, to me, means they are adults either in college or over 21. They drink in the books, have sex in the books, us profanity in the books but don't have the life experiences to always make the right decisions. Come to think of it that fits "old adults" too LOL. Easy was an outstanding NA book. I thought it was very seductive but not in a glaring way. More romantic because for young people just getting into serious relationships, they sometimes have unrealistic expectations about romance (kind of like believing in Cinderella, etc.). If you're looking for books with lots of very explicity sex, this probably isn't your cup of tea. But if you want to remember the "romance" of your first love, Easy is an excellent book. I have no idea if all NA books are like this but I would think they would be. Then again, what do I know LOL.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:25 am 

Thanks for the help. Probably not for me--I'll stick with the thousands of other books I don't have time for but want to read. My author list is expanding by leaps and bounds with my Kindle reading!