Post subject: The Hunted by Karen Robards
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:32 pm 

I just finished this (The Hunted by Karen Robards). It took me awhile to get into it. The timeline was off and it switched from the hero to the heroine to get a back story a bit.

Reed is a model cop from New Orleans who has gotten attached to 2 kids who lost their mother. The oldest is investigating his mother's death because he claims she was murdered. He gets into trouble which leads Reed into trouble. Caroline, the heroine, is a negotiator for NOPD who is kidnapped by Reed. It sounds complicated but it isn't. Some of the plot is a stretch but then so is Castle or The Blacklist on TV. Caroline and Ware have a history so there's also some sexy scenes in this romantic suspense.

I was worried when I read the reviews on Amazon for this but they're going to go up when I add my review. I vote this one my first "excellent" of the year.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Re: The Hunted by Karen Robards
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:20 pm 

I'll be adding it to my wishlist.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 pm 

I have this on my Nook. I really like Karen Robards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:43 am 

Thanks for the heads up. I love Karen Robards, too. Will order this from the library next time I go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 am 

I really like her books too, and especially with a New Orleans setting! This goes off my maybe list, and on the "to buy" list right now!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:26 pm 

I got my copy from the library's downloadables pretty quickly. I just received notice that I have the print copy coming which I'll give back. I always order both and read what comes first.

She doesn't seem to be as popular at my library as some authors (for which I'm thankful but sad for her).

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:05 pm 

I started reading this a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I need to get back to it. I only got a few pages into it and then life got busy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:45 pm 

Linda - Glad to hear that you really liked it. I'm about 50 pages in and while I'm enjoying it, I'm having a hard time seeing that it will end well. I like the majority of her R/S books and since this seems like a "on the run" style, I'm sure I will love it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:29 am 

LindaG wrote:
Linda - Glad to hear that you really liked it. I'm about 50 pages in and while I'm enjoying it, I'm having a hard time seeing that it will end well. I like the majority of her R/S books and since this seems like a "on the run" style, I'm sure I will love it too.

It took me quite awhile to get to the point where I was totally hooked -- way past the 3 chapter rule that I usually give books.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:32 pm 

As I was going to West TN this past week, I started listening to it on my IPod....wow! Love the narrators, 2 of them one male the other female. Really good and they add a richness to the story...good Cajun accent on Reed. I think listening to it makes this less confusing. I am about half way through it and really love the plot. There are places where I get mad at Caroline...like when she pulled a gun on Reed in the cabin and then wonders why he doesn't trust her? Anyway, so far it really keeps me wondering and trying to figure out how in the world they are going to resolve this mess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:10 pm 

Ugh - this is on my Nook too and I love her books. I need a slow book month where not much is coming out so I can catch up on what I have now!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:11 pm 

I finally got this book and finished it yesterday.

The reviews on Amazon were not very good, and she is one of my favorite RS authors; I don't have very many these days. After reading your post, Linda, I decided to give it a chance.

I really liked the romance, the interactions of the h/h and the brothers, but it was a little thin on suspense. Overall, I liked it; it just isn't a favorite.

Sort of off topic, but as these authors age, it seems like the books they are writing are not as good as their earlier books. I don't mean that to distinguish between subgenres. I just mean that whether it is a historical or a RS, etc., it seems that the earlier books were better. In the case of Robards could that be because she is devoting time to her paranormal RS and less to contemporary RS? or maybe getting tired of writing RS? Just a thought.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 pm 

Judy G. wrote:
I finally got this book and finished it yesterday.

The reviews on Amazon were not very good, and she is one of my favorite RS authors; I don't have very many these days. After reading your post, Linda, I decided to give it a chance.

I really liked the romance, the interactions of the h/h and the brothers, but it was a little thin on suspense. Overall, I liked it; it just isn't a favorite.

Sort of off topic, but as these authors age, it seems like the books they are writing are not as good as their earlier books. I don't mean that to distinguish between subgenres. I just mean that whether it is a historical or a RS, etc., it seems that the earlier books were better. In the case of Robards could that be because she is devoting time to her paranormal RS and less to contemporary RS? or maybe getting tired of writing RS? Just a thought.

I'm with you Judy. Jude Devereux was wonderful when she came out. Now meh! Elizabeth Lowell's first RS were outstanding, as were her earlier historicals. Now they're good just not as good. I think I could list all my favorite authors here. I used to think it was the publishers pushing them but now I just think they're getting old LOL.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 pm 

Linda, I thought this was a great book also. I haven't always read KR but over the past couple of years I have discovered her and find her books quite good.

I was touched by Reed's devotion to the two brothers and to the extent he went to keep them safe. I was fearful for a good outcome for the h/h but the author pulled off the HEA very well.

Dani

"Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on." Samuel Butler, English poet