Post subject: Final Reading Numbers for the Year?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:17 pm 

I just finished updating my reading log (instead of working - again!) and I am excited. I had the best reading year in a long time. 85 total fiction (not counting non-fiction stuff that I read - which probably took my total up to 90).

I finished strong in December with 11 books (Thank you Kristen Ashley!!).

How did you all do?

Post subject: Re: Final Reading Numbers for the Year?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm 

Not good - only read 45 books, an all time record low for me! But they were all really good books though. Going to try harder this year, and hope family life settles down a bit too. 2013 was one of "those years" - one I would like to forget!!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm 

I finished 111 book in 2013 which is my best total yet. Am hoping for 112 in 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:44 pm 

I had 166, which was 3 more than in 2012, but 9 less than my goal. I remember 5-10 years ago I was reading a minimum of 300 a year, but I've got so much going on right now I'm not getting close. I hope to make 175 this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:28 pm 

62 for me which is pretty good. For me to read a good sized book in a week is about average. Of the 62, 2 were non-fiction. We are into 2014 six days now and I haven't finished Takedown 20 which I started New Years Day. It's an easy read but taking down all my decorations and going out has taken a huge chunk of my reading time. Plus eating up all the leftovers makes me sleepy LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:03 pm 

All time high for me....163.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm 

Timely question Kyle. I also just looked at my reading journal. In 2013 I read only 29 books. That is an all time low for me. In 2012 I read 45 books.

Of those 29 books I gave an A+ to only one book. That book was THE NOTORIOUS RAKE an oldie by Mary Balogh that I had somehow missed.

My daughter gave us "Netflix" for Christmas last year and we are watching more movies in the evenings. That cuts into my reading time.

Right now I am reading THE PARIS WIFE by Paula McLain. It is fiction but based on the marriage of Ernest Hemingway to his first wife, Hadley Richardson. I know it will not have a HEA because he had three wives after her.
A very, very good book, so maybe it will get my reading vibe going again in the new year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 pm 

didn't think I read that many books but according to GoodReads it is about 200 books; I did read a lot of short stories :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:56 am 

I've read at least 170 books this year. :shock: :shock: I know I read a lot, but I never knew just how much. I should write it down more often.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:58 am 

I read 185 books in 2013, which averages out to 15 books a month or one book every 2 days.

HR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:43 am 

For all of you people who read faster than me -- and that's about everyone -- do you watch TV at all? If yes, how much sleep do you require? What I'm getting at is how do you find the time to read so much. You must be way more of a Type A person than me. Then again, I think maybe I spend too much of the day talking LOL -- on here and everywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:33 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:
For all of you people who read faster than me -- and that's about everyone -- do you watch TV at all? If yes, how much sleep do you require? What I'm getting at is how do you find the time to read so much. You must be way more of a Type A person than me. Then again, I think maybe I spend too much of the day talking LOL -- on here and everywhere else.

I know that my tv watching has been part of the reason I don't read as much as I did years ago. I watch probably 2 hours of tv a night and maybe 4 hours a day on the weekends.

I've also got three young nephews that I spend a lot of time with and when they're around I don't read as much - partially because I spend time with them, partially because by the time they go to bed I'm exhausted and go to sleep, too.

I also work two jobs, so that takes up a lot of time and I help my parents as much as I can. So I think that's why I've only read around 160ish a year for the past few years (don't know if you consider that a lot or not), when I was able to read 300+ five or more years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm 

Linda, I was wondering about this too. I feel like I read a lot and I DON'T watch a lot of tv. Football in the Fall and The Walking Dead is the only show I follow. I feel like if I was reading this fast then I wouldn't be taking in the book or enjoying it as much. I guess I like to savor my books because I read much slower than most. Mine averages about 2 books a week.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:52 pm 

Hi All,

This was a dismal reading year for me when comparing for instance...

2012 - 175
2013 - 102

Narrowing the numbers down somewhat...

Total 2013 books: 46
Total Re-Reads: 18
Total Library: 38
Total Debut Authors: 1
Total New-to-Me: 11

Numbers by the Genre:

Georgian: 6
Trad Regency: 4
Regency: 8
Americana - Westerns - Old South: 7
Contemporary - Women's Fiction: 8
Romantic Suspense: 5
Inspirationals: 1
Alternate Reality - Urban Fantasy - Futuristics: 1 and 2 Novellas
Mainstream - Suspense - Thrillers: 62

As for TV watching, I am watching more and unlike the past I'm not so capable of reading and watching at the same time; so that's definitely a factor.

Hope I'm back ontrack with more books in 2014.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:11 pm 

I read 96 books in 2013. I had read 65 in 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:39 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
Linda, I was wondering about this too. I feel like I read a lot and I DON'T watch a lot of tv. Football in the Fall and The Walking Dead is the only show I follow. I feel like if I was reading this fast then I wouldn't be taking in the book or enjoying it as much. I guess I like to savor my books because I read much slower than most. Mine averages about 2 books a week.

I don't know about the others, but I've always been a fast reader. However, being fast I still retain information and enjoy the books. I'm able to remember plot, character, etc. from each book and if it is an extraordinary book I remember a lot more (entire passages and dialogue).

I love the word savor. I would say that I do that, too, but only after the best books. Then I'll take a few days and think about them, reread passages - if not the whole book - and digest it more before starting another book. (Some books are good, but not worth remembering and some are so bad I wish I never read them. These I actively try to forget.)

Some of my favorite books I read in college. Back then I read 2-3 books a day, homework permitting, and can still recall most of what I read back then - title, author, plot, if I liked it, entire passages if I enjoyed to book.

So I think that some people who read a lot (fast) get just as much enjoyment and time to savor as those who read less, I just think the process might be different.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:10 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:

I like to watch TV, especially in the winter. I usually record the many shows I watch and catch up on them on the weekend while on the computer or while I'm exercising on the eliptical. I save a couple of shows for the summer since I usually hate the things that are on TV in the summer.

I do most of my reading in the evenings, after the supper dishes are done. I don't do a lot of housework during the week, except for yard work in the summer. Most of it waits for me on the weekend, and cuts into my reading time. Maybe I need a maid. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 pm 

Linda7849 wrote:

I take the LRT (train) to work and back every day; one way is about 25-30 minutes travel time. I also read while my DH is watching sports.

Not a huge TV watcher anymore; all the shows seem to be remakes of the same old; same old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:05 pm 

anastacyann wrote:
kylebmac wrote:

I don't know about the others, but I've always been a fast reader. However, being fast I still retain information and enjoy the books. I'm able to remember plot, character, etc. from each book and if it is an extraordinary book I remember a lot more (entire passages and dialogue).

I love the word savor. I would say that I do that, too, but only after the best books. Then I'll take a few days and think about them, reread passages - if not the whole book - and digest it more before starting another book. (Some books are good, but not worth remembering and some are so bad I wish I never read them. These I actively try to forget.)

Some of my favorite books I read in college. Back then I read 2-3 books a day, homework permitting, and can still recall most of what I read back then - title, author, plot, if I liked it, entire passages if I enjoyed to book.

So I think that some people who read a lot (fast) get just as much enjoyment and time to savor as those who read less, I just think the process might be different.

You're lucky! Sometimes when I pick up my book I have to go back and review the end of the last chapter to remember what the heck is going on!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:06 pm 

JaniceC wrote:
Linda7849 wrote:

I take the LRT (train) to work and back every day; one way is about 25-30 minutes travel time.

That would be heaven!