Post subject: Weekend Reading Dec. 20-22
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:03 am 

HO Ho Ho Merry Christmas Everyone!

I hope everyone had a good week. I have a busy weekend...dentist on Saturday morning and getting ready to host Christmas Eve at my house. I'm hope the weatherman is wrong and we don't have the freezing rain and then snow.

I found another new author......Victoria Morgan. I really enjoyed her debut book For The Love of a Soldier and I'm currently reading The Heart of a Duke.

Any plans this weekend? What are you reading?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Weekend Reading Dec. 20-22
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 am 

It's warmed up around here. It was 55 yesterday and supposedly warm today but rainy. I think I'd rather have colder but sunny. I hate the gray of winter -- is it even winter yet?

My weekend will be spent getting my house ready for my in-laws on the 28th. Christmas Eve is at my sister's, and Christmas Day at my niece's but I'm still waiting to here from her. She has identical twin boys ages 1 1/2 so if she cancels, I'm going to have a quiet day at home with DH and youngest DS -- maybe go to a movie (I'm almost hoping she does cancel).

I'm a Scrooge this year so I'll be glad when it's over. This is the first year I've ever felt like this. I'm not excited about any of the gifts I'm giving. Lots of little things adding to my scroogeness -- a new priest who I don't like at church, back ache which has been bothering me since before Thanksgiving, oldest DS going to his girlfriend's house for Christmas Eve, not having my house (inside) painted which goes back to the backache, etc., etc., etc.

Bookwise, I'm reading Innocence by Dean Koontz. It's unusual. Kind of a Beauty and the Beast story on steroids. I have to pick up Janet Evanovich's 20th Plum book at the library but it's gotten lousey reviews. I need something that's LOL funny to get me out of this mood. At least I know that in January I'll be taking off for FL!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:46 am 

I just finished reading Debbie Macomber's short novella 'Family Affair', it was a cute story if you are a cat lover, and it's set in San Francisco, it's a small hard back book, I got it on sale in Barnes and Noble for five dollars, it would make a great stocking stuffer for anyone looking for a last minute gift.
Not sure what I'm reading this weekend, just feeling relieved that all my Christmas shopping is done and will look through my kindle for something fun.
Danielle, sorry you have to go to the dentist. Dentists terrify me!
Linda, sorry about your back ache, why not treat yourself to a back massaging pillow, you can get them for about twenty dollars. Stick it behind you on the couch, lean back, put your feet up and read! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:52 am 

Happy Holidays everyone! Dani, I started FOR THE LOVE OF A SOLDIER and for some reason it really bogged down for me. I will finish it next month. I am reading an oldie {trilogy) THE GIFTS OF CHRISTMAS by Mary Balogh, Merline Lovelace ,and Suzanne Barclay. I read it every year.

,hubby just arrived with our six year old granddaughter to spend the night. By for now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:29 pm 

Lindy wrote:
Happy Holidays everyone! Dani, I started FOR THE LOVE OF A SOLDIER and for some reason it really bogged down for me. I will finish it next month. I am reading an oldie {trilogy) THE GIFTS OF CHRISTMAS by Mary Balogh, Merline Lovelace ,and Suzanne Barclay. I read it every year.

,hubby just arrived with our six year old granddaughter to spend the night. By for now

Lindy, the book did start out slow for me but in the end I enjoyed it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm 

Wow...Christmas is here and I am still waiting on gifts to arrive. I cleaned my house yesterday(spring cleaned), and now I have aches all over. My youngest is coming home late tonight with his girlfriend. She is the daughter I never had. She is staying with us all through Christmas then Christmas day she and my son are flying to New Orleans to be with her family. My oldest is in Austin Texas with a group of his college friends and won't be home until Monday.

Today....I am tackling my oldest son's room...a hoarder's paradise. He has all of his stuff coming out into the hallway and now making it's way into my youngest son's bedroom. I usually just close the door to his room. Younger son is a total neat, organize freak...so he will freak out.

Tomorrow, I am baking cookies and making chocolate sauce. It is going to rain ALL weekend...storm. Temps are in the 70's!

Sunday, I am taking some cookies over to a guy..who I don't know...who had a wrestling accident that left him with a spinal injury...hopefully the doctors will give him good news. He is only a freshman in high school. The whole community has rallied behind him.

I am going to start reading Kresley Cole's new book The Professional. I also saw Karen Robard's new book The Hunted. Can't wait.

Happy Holidays...Have a safe and fun weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:33 pm 

Happy weekend! It's SOOO warm here. Back in the 70's during the day and 60's at night. I'm looking forward to the little front we're getting this weekend to make things more Christmas like again.

I finished Hot Pursuit by Jo Davis yesterday, it was cute. Right now I don't think I'll have much time to read this weekend. I have to go today and finish the purchase of my car and pick it up, plus I need to finish my Christmas shopping this weekend. I also need to get by the store and get my nails done.

I will probably end up doing some magazine reading but I have no idea what I want to start next book wise.

I also have no idea what our plans are for Christmas this year. The boys and I are going to volunteer at the George R Brown Convention Center on Christmas Eve from 7:30-1:30 for their Annual Christmas Eve Big Feast. Chuck has to work until 6 or 7 and then we'll go to church. Usually we go to my brother's house for Christmas day because he has a kiddo under 10 and we still do "Santa" with them, usually have our lunch and then go home and veg. Chuck and Garrett would normally be leaving to go hunting the next day but this year Chuck has to work since he has a new job and it's the busiest week of the year for them.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies and I hope everyone is able to get to feeling better and getting a little Christmas spirit, even if only a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:28 pm 

I'm reading Sleeping Beauty by Phillip Margolin.Really good at the end. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

I've given up on reading right now and am busy updating my excel book files to transfer to LibraryThing. I've done over 1600 books so far and it feels like I have barely made a dent. It will be interesting to see what number I end up with. :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 pm 

No real plans for this weekend. I might bake a batch of cookies, but not sure what kind.

This week I read Sleep With the Lights On by Maggie Shayne. It's very different. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Now I'm starting 'Twas the Night After Christmas by Sabrina Jeffries.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:48 pm 

Reading True by Laurann Dohner.

Tomorrow, I am hosting a cookie baking party with the women in the family and then on Sunday I need to finish up with my Christmas shopping.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 pm 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Here's hoping you have all been good, so you get some fun and useful Christmas gifts. I don't know what I have been this year, besides exhausted from everything going on with my dad.

This was a good reading week. Finished Homecoming by Lacey Baker, and started the next book in the series, Just Like Heaven. Enjoying them both a lot.

This year the Holidays are stressing me out and I'm just not enjoying stuff. So I read, escape in to a good book. Works for me! Our family is getting smaller every year. I lost my cousin Ken, who was like a brother to me, so now we are down another one. It really gets to me this time of year, to the point that I would love to fast forward to New Year's Eve!!!

Well, enough of that crapola! Once again, the bookmark/card exchange has been a lot of fun, and I have gotten so many beautiful cards.

Happy Holidays to everyone! Travel safe and enjoy every moment you have with your loved ones

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:10 pm 

Hi everyone.
I have been in a turmoil all this week. Planning my first Christmas Party at the Senior Center and realizing it is a late party and next year have to have one earlier. Lots of people going away. I do have 22 coming... so hope they all have a good time.
All my Christmas shopping is done. Now, all I have to do is wrap and/or bag. Bag is so much easier for me. I can't believe I only read Stranded by Alex Kava. After I finish Christmas bagging, I will have to grab a good and relaxing book to chill out with.
I have a doctors appointment on the 24th for my knee. I have been running around and it is swollen and sore. I may need another shot of cortisone in it to hold me off until I don't know when. Do not want another operation. My sister and my dd have been hounding me to loose weight. I know it will help and I am going to bite the bullet and stop putting off what I know I have to do. They are not being mean, just telling me that they want me around a long time and I am putting it in jeopardy with being overweight. I know I have the will power somewhere in me.
I do have a Nancy Martin book that I started in the car the other day while waiting for the kids to get out of school. It is called Some Like It Lethal and it is the Blackbird sister's series. That is an easy read..since I love Nancy Martin and the way she writes.
Have a great weekend and happy reading when you can get it in!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:20 pm 

I decided to try a new author: Alice Clayton

I read Wallbanger. Very cute book, very fast and easy read. I'm really starting to enjoy first person romance and I'm surprised by it. I especially loved the hero of this book, Simon. I can't wait to read the next book about Simon and Caroline next summer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:05 pm 

Hi All,

Finished this one last night, the only romance I've read this month...

The Counterfeit Mistress by Madeline Hunter (10/13)
[Fairbourne Quartet - 3] (A- Warm)
1799, Georgian England

Was reading the review at All About Romance earlier (C- Warm) and the reviewer had some good points. I'll stick with my rating however, reading slump ongoing it held my attention. Kendale's declaration of love at the end was wonderfully eloquent for a guy who isn't known for such.

Merry Christmas!

--Janie

So many books, so little time.