Post subject: Sometimes a Rogue by Mary Jo Putney
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:22 am 

I can't remember what number this is in MJP's Lost Lords series. I don't think it's the strongest but it's not bad. It has a great plot, great characters but the weak part for me is the the heroine. I wanted to tell her to "speak up" quite a few times and also tell her to quit being TSTL at others. I guess those two go together. Then there's the sex. There are some close calls but not close enough for my liking -- and when they finally got together it was a bit disappointing LOL. MJP needs to learn how to do sex scenes like Anne Stuart LOL. I generally don't care about this stuff but I was teased through the whole darn book!

The ending was rushed IMHO so overall, I would have rated it 4 stars because MJP writes well but it could have been 5 with a bit more work. The next in this series comes out next Sept. For these types of books, I think they should come out every 6 months. JMHO.

Benjamin Franklin

Post subject: Re: Sometimes a Rogue by Mary Jo Putney
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 pm 

Linda, I agree with you this could have been better with some fine tuning. The villains were all bad which doesn't take much craft to write about, but I enjoyed it a lot as is.

I can see myself doing a re-read in the future. I did enjoy Sarah and Rob as they were running for their lives and then realizing that love is what they were feeling for each other.

Someday I hope to get over to the Themes Board and do some catching up, but til then...

Sometimes a Rogue by Mary Jo Putney (9/13)
[The Lost Lords - 5] (B+ Warm)
1813, Regency England
Themes:
Virgin heroine - 26-years-old, an identical twin, has a small uneven Celtic Knot tattoo on her right-side bottom, received at boarding school from an Irish schoolmate.

Hero - Bow Street Runner who inherits an Earldom he never wanted.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 pm 

I really wanted to like this book. There were just too many moments of disbelief for me.

I expected the heroine to leap over tall buildings any minute. She could do everything just a little too perfect for me.

I agree with Linda the romance was too tepid.
And I just knew our hero would end up being a member of the aristocracy before the end. All in all a "C" read for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 pm 

Lindy, after I read your review I wondered why I gave this 4 stars rather than 3 -- especially, since I can't remember anything about it right now. I think the style of MJP's writing ups it a little for me out of the realm of the usual 3 star book. But it's definitely not her best.

Benjamin Franklin