Post subject: Weekend Reading Oct. 4-6
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 am 

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone had a good week. No plans this weekend! Just kickin' back to read and watch football!

I did read two books this past week --- My Notorious Gentleman by Gaelen Foley -- an above average read and the The Counterfeit Mistress a good read. I'm currently reading the new Jennifer Ashley book -- The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie. I have no idea what I'm going to read next.

Any plans this weekend? What are you reading?

Have a good weekend everyone!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Weekend Reading Oct. 4-6
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:37 am 

Hi everyone.... happy weekend!!!!
I don't have any outstanding plans for the weekend, just getting my hair cut and highlighted and a bit of watching football and reading. I have to catch up on my magazines... they are piling up on the floor. I am ashamed to say I haven't had much time for reading and am on the same book from last week. It is good, but, I am still running around and learning new job. Every day is something new. At least I have my book club reading Defending Jacob and I already read that... so no problem there.
I went for my yearly skin cancer check up and my DR. removed something from the back of my leg. Have to wait 10 days before I find out if it is ok. Say a prayer is not serious.
Sometimes you need weekends like this to regroup. Hope you all have a great weekend and happy reading.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:50 am 

Happy weekend all!

I'm excited because on Sunday we're taking Robert to San Antonio. Monday we're going to tour UTSA, then run up the road and tour Texas State in San Marcos.

Right now I'm in the middle of reading Fever by Maya Banks. It's book 2 of the Breathless Trilogy. It's good but so far I've liked the first book, Rush, better. Mainly because honestly, I'm just not into the D/s thing. I don't find whipping or pain sexy, AT ALL. And this book has a lot of it. After this one, I'll start the last book, Burn.

Have a great weekend everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:18 am 

I'm reading Getting Rowdy by Lori Foster. Good so far!!

In the morning I'm going to a 16th birthday breakfast celebration for the daughter of a friend. I crochet and the birthday girl likes rubber ducks and I made her a pair of crochet rubber ducks.

Here is the info from the invitation if you want to read. It's not the usual 16th birthday celebration.
Elizabeth is fortunate enough to be surrounded by women of great character, faith, intelligence and strength. Each of us has forged our way to being successful women. Some of that road we had to navigate alone. Much of it we walked with support from others.This is our time to walk with her and offer the benefits of our experiences as she navigates her path to becoming a successful woman. During our celebration, each woman in attendance will be asked to say a few words and present her with a token that represents an experience, quality or truth that she should carry with her as she transforms from being our little girl to being our young woman. Your token can be anything! It can be a relic from your past, a symbolic representation of your truth, or a special gift that you would like to present to her. You don’t have to think big and you don’t have to think expensive – think truth, knowledge, experience and what you wish you knew at 16 that you now know.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:28 am 

Happy Friday! I have to work a night shift tonight, then my weekend officially begins.

Reading Always On My Mind by Jill Shalvis, and as usual it's very good. Not sure what will be up next - maybe the new Beth Ciotta Cupcake Lovers book.

Will visit dad tomorrow and take him out for dinner. Sunday will be football and catching up with a few shows I recorded this week.

Everyone have a great weekend!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 am 

ameliad wrote:
Here is the info from the invitation if you want to read. It's not the usual 16th birthday celebration.
Elizabeth is fortunate enough to be surrounded by women of great character, faith, intelligence and strength. Each of us has forged our way to being successful women. Some of that road we had to navigate alone. Much of it we walked with support from others.This is our time to walk with her and offer the benefits of our experiences as she navigates her path to becoming a successful woman. During our celebration, each woman in attendance will be asked to say a few words and present her with a token that represents an experience, quality or truth that she should carry with her as she transforms from being our little girl to being our young woman. Your token can be anything! It can be a relic from your past, a symbolic representation of your truth, or a special gift that you would like to present to her. You don’t have to think big and you don’t have to think expensive – think truth, knowledge, experience and what you wish you knew at 16 that you now know.

That's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:16 pm 

I just picked up 2 books from the library: Sometimes a Rogue by Mary Jo Putney and Deadline by Sandra Brown. I'll probably read the Sandra Brown first because I know there are a lot of people on hold for it. Probably for the Putney book too but it didn't take me long to get it so it must be a fairly quick read.

This weekend is recycling day in my township. That means we can get rid of any junk furniture we have at no cost, just our drivers license proving we living in the township. My DS left a huge TV set (before flat screens) and I'm dying to get rid of it. Hauling it down the steps and into the car might be a problem but it's going if I have to bash it into pieces first. It actually works fine but no one wants a TV like this even if it's free.

Beyond that, I have no plans other than reading and TV.

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
Subscriber

No weekend plans, to me those are the best kind! I'm finishing up Rush by Maya Banks. After that, I'm torn between starting the next in the trilogy, or Soul Stripper by Katana Collins.

Thinking of you Paulette, I hope all goes well and it's nothing serious! Have a great weekend everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
ameliad wrote:

That's awesome.

That is really fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:01 pm 

Hi All,

This weekend I'm reading "The 9th Girl" by Tami Hoag. I have to say that the poetry written by Gray is heartbreaking and what is making this book special to me. Gray has a "voice" and then I stop and think... this is Tami Hoag's voice really.

I've spent most of this week searching for Madeline Hunter's newest book, without success. [Sigh] Hopefully, when I get by Albertson's tomorrow they will have a copy. I'm still in the historical romance reading slump... but still buying off the shelf in anticipation of when this slump ends.

ameliad, I've never seen an invitation like this one you posted about your friend. It kind of throws me to have the new 16-year-old referred to as a woman, but it is a unique opening of arms for friends to share with her. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Linda, I'm interested in how the new Mary Jo Putney book goes with you. Sandra Brown's "Deadline" is checked out here so I'm monitoring the library from home in hopes of catching it soon as it's returned.

Y'All have a good one!

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 pm 

ameliad wrote:

In the morning I'm going to a 16th birthday breakfast celebration for the daughter of a friend. I crochet and the birthday girl likes rubber ducks and I made her a pair of crochet rubber ducks.

What a wonderful idea to honor a 16-year old with wisdom from women who've gone before!

I'm reading "The English Girl" by Daniel Silva. Again, just a top-rate novel from a very good writer.

We're expecting a tropical storm so expect we will be housebound because of the rain - if the storm holds together. If it dissipates that's fine by me!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Dani

"Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on." Samuel Butler, English poet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 pm 

PauletteW wrote:
I went for my yearly skin cancer check up and my DR. removed something from the back of my leg. Have to wait 10 days before I find out if it is ok. Say a prayer is not serious.

Paulette--I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that your results come back negative. I am just waiting for an appointment with the dermatologist for my yearly checkup.

HR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:17 am 

Paulette, saying prayers for you!

AmeliaD....I've never seen an invitation like that....amazing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:13 pm 

Paulette---I know the wait is agonizing...Keep positive thoughts!

Kyle--Just curious..Did you say before that you all visited Texas A&M? If so, what did you think? I am curious about the school. My oldest is thinking of working for an oil company in Houston or maybe going to grad school and A&M is one he is considering.

Ameliad--great invitation...precious!

Not much going on here in TN. It is suppose to rain on Sunday...hallelujah...we need the rain. Hubby and I are alone this weekend. My oldest is going to my youngest son's house in Mississippi to help him work for the weekend. I am in a reading slump, but in a cooking mood. So I will probably cook and eat all weekend...bad for my diet :) But lots of fun!!

Have a great weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:13 pm 

EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:
Kyle--Just curious..Did you say before that you all visited Texas A&M? If so, what did you think? I am curious about the school. My oldest is thinking of working for an oil company in Houston or maybe going to grad school and A&M is one he is considering.

Yes, we toured it last year. He had been thinking about going there for awhile but once he got there, he said he didn't feel like it was the right place for him. I have heard that that's really the way it is for a lot of kids. Once they walk on campus, that's it, they know they either belong there or they don't. Robert felt like it was WAY too conservative for him. :roll:

Soooo...we're off to UTSA and Texas State, but right now, his ultimate goal is to end up at UT in Austin. I have a feeling UTSA is where he's going, with the end goal of transferring in year 2 or 3 to UT.

A&M is primarily a school devoted to vets or other animal-type careers, OR those who're interested in engineering, which Robert has no interest in either. It IS a very conservative school while UT is considered very liberal. UT is much more difficult to get into as a freshman, and many kids go to one of their affiliated campuses like UTSA (UT San Antonio), UT Permian Basin, Brownsville, Tyler, Dallas, etc., then transfer to UT Austin.

EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:
but in a cooking mood. So I will probably cook and eat all weekend...bad for my diet :) But lots of fun!!

Have a great weekend!

Man, I have been on an eating binge as well this week. I don't know if it was just that time of the month but there was nothing I wanted more than pizza, Mexican food and cupcakes with vanilla ice cream. I am a firm believer in indulging myself when that happens, and then getting back on track after. Don't beat yourself up!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:58 pm 

Paulette, I'm praying you have a good outcome.

I don't have anything especially in mind to read this weekend so I guess I will go to my skimpy TBR list or re-read a favorite.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:34 am 

Hi everyone. I have been away from the Boards a while but I have lurked about once a week, just didn't have much to say. I got out of the habit of posting on this thread (sorry Danielle) but hopefully I will remember int he future.
Well, I have had a major operation, been away quite a bit including to Southern Spain where I went with my DIL's parents. Had a great time and the weather was consistently in the low 30s (I think that is about high 80s). I loved The Alhambra in Granada and coach trips through the Sierra Nevada.
Ah well, back to normal now although we have had the best summer here in the UK for years and even now it is well hot outside.
So, reading wise it has been between M&B (Hqn) books plus my beloved historicals including many 'e' novellas.
Favourites were The Duchess Hunt by Jennifer Haymore, A Kiss At Midnight by Eloisa James and The Captain and The Wallflower by Lyn Stone.
Not much going on this weekend. I have been invited in next door for dinner tonight and as I sit here and type I am washing and tumbling (my clothes lol).
Next weekend I am off to see the grandaughters so looking forward to that.
Have a good one, Ladies.
Sheila

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:21 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:

Yes, we toured it last year. He had been thinking about going there for awhile but once he got there, he said he didn't feel like it was the right place for him. I have heard that that's really the way it is for a lot of kids. Once they walk on campus, that's it, they know they either belong there or they don't. Robert felt like it was WAY too conservative for him. :roll:

Soooo...we're off to UTSA and Texas State, but right now, his ultimate goal is to end up at UT in Austin. I have a feeling UTSA is where he's going, with the end goal of transferring in year 2 or 3 to UT.

A&M is primarily a school devoted to vets or other animal-type careers, OR those who're interested in engineering, which Robert has no interest in either. It IS a very conservative school while UT is considered very liberal. UT is much more difficult to get into as a freshman, and many kids go to one of their affiliated campuses like UTSA (UT San Antonio), UT Permian Basin, Brownsville, Tyler, Dallas, etc., then transfer to UT Austin.

EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:
but in a cooking mood. So I will probably cook and eat all weekend...bad for my diet :) But lots of fun!!

Have a great weekend!

Man, I have been on an eating binge as well this week. I don't know if it was just that time of the month but there was nothing I wanted more than pizza, Mexican food and cupcakes with vanilla ice cream. I am a firm believer in indulging myself when that happens, and then getting back on track after. Don't beat yourself up!

If I go ahead and eat what I'm craving it saves me overeating later.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm 

ameliad wrote:

It was a very touching birthday celebration. However, there was one extremely hilarious part. One woman had her two little girls with her and when one of the other guests was speaking to the birthday girl we heard this extremely loud scream. One of the little girls had turned her head and was eye level with a spider on a post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:08 am 

kylebmac wrote:
EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:

A&M is primarily a school devoted to vets or other animal-type careers, OR those who're interested in engineering, which Robert has no interest in either. It IS a very conservative school while UT is considered very liberal.

As a Texas A&M alumna I'd have to agree and disagree with this. While it is known as a conservative school for the most part, things have changed a lot over the past ten years. Especially with current President and the move to the SEC, the campus is opening up more and more. and while I would not call it liberal by any stretch, it is becoming more so.

As a freshman, it is just as difficult to get into A&M as UT. All colleges are competitive. However, I know some schools - like UT - perpetuate the myth that it is much harder to get into their school than others. It's a marketing ploy and many people fall for it.

I will have to say that A&M is by far one of the most welcoming campuses you can be a part of. I've been to many colleges over the years and none so far have compared. There is a very real camaraderie that people are included in by just being on campus. For a larger town, there is a very small town atmosphere. It is very welcoming and accepting. You hear stories about the "Howdy" and students and faculty helping people. It really is true. But even with the small town feel, you don't have to be without the things you'd expect in a larger city, so it is a wonderful mesh of both worlds.

As for "A&M is primarily a school devoted to vets or other animal-type careers, OR those who're interested in engineering", this is false. While those two things are large parts of the Texas A&M system, these are by no means the only avenues of study Aggies are known for: architecture, accounting, finance, education, engineering, veterinary sciences, chemistry, genetics, microbiology, forensics, history, psychology, etc.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude, I just want to point out that there is a very real misconception about A&M that even other Texans have. In my opinion, if you want a quality school without the big city feel, it's the best option around.

My suggestion for anyone looking to go to a specific college: visit the campus multiple times, talk to advisors, talk to students, spend the weekend (parents weekend is a good (crowded) one, but most colleges have a weekend set aside for visiting students), talk to alumni.

For college students, once you are admitted, join a few campus groups, use the free resources the college provides. As a student, sometimes it is difficult to see the things that are good to do until you miss out. Go to the student center and find groups you like.

For parents of college students, find a parent group, encourage your student to be actively involved in student groups. Aggies have a group called Aggie Moms. There are chapters all around the country. One thing I loved when I was there was the exam packs. Parents paid (I think $20-40) for a pack. In the pack (ours was always a big plastic bin) was snacks, drinks, pencils, pens, scantrons, etc. The pack is designed to help you through exam week and give you one less thing to worry about, plus to let you know your parents were thinking of you.

Anyway, if anyone has questions about A&M or college in general, feel free to PM me and I'll share anything I know.