Post subject: Weekend Reading Aug. 30 - Sept. 1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:12 am 

For those of us who live in the USA --have a safe Labor Day Weekend!

I'm hosting a family birthday bbq at my house on Sunday. This is the second year in a row that we've been doing it with my sister, brother-in-law, aunt and cousin. Since it's going to be hot here this weekend hopefully we can all use the pool!!!!! Will be running around on Saturday getting ready for Sunday!

Thanks to Purplenancy I found a new author Rebecca Zanatti -- I read two Montana Mavericks this past week -- Against The Wall and Under The Covers enjoyed them both. I also read Against the Mark by Kat Martin -- this series just keeps on getting better and better! Up next either the new Mary Balogh or Linda Lael Miller book!

Any plans this weekend? What are you reading?

Enjoy your weekend!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I have way way too many books and not enough time to read!?!?*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.shelfari.com/Dani807
http://ladiesofleisurelovebooks.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Weekend Reading Aug. 30 - Sept. 1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:54 am 

Happy Labor Day to all in the US!

We're going out for breakfast tomorrow (hopefully we can get in the restaurant), other than that, no plans. Just relaxing, DVD's and reading.

Currently I'm reading Mr. Monk Helps Himself and then I think I'll start on the Jillian Stone Phaeton Black series.

http://cindy-betweenthepages.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 am 

Happy Labor Day AND happy long weekend! :D

My husband has a 3 hour pass on Saturday so we're going to go to the mall and walk around then we're going to dinner. It'll be his first minor test with us going out and him not drinking. I'm excited but nervous. Other than that, my cousin and her family is coming in town so I'll probably try to spend some time with them at some point.

Muffin, currently I'm in the middle of reading the Phaeton Black series myself. I'm right in the middle of book 2, The Moonstone and Miss Jones by Jillian Stone. I expect to finish it tonight or tomorrow and be able to start the final book, The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter.

Interestingly, I actually started the series because I read a review of the last book and it sounded different and interesting. However, the reviewer's one big problem with it was that there were so many characters and references to the other 2 books (The Seduction of Phaeton Black and The Moonstone and Miss Jones) that she couldn't really keep track of what was going on all the time. So I read the first book and it was ok. I wouldn't rate it an A plus or anything but it was a solid B. I am, however, enjoying the second book much more which gives me great hopes for really enjoying the next book, which is the one I really wanted to read all along! 8)

Everyone have a really great weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 am 

Kyle, I 've had the first two books for a while but with the serious reading slump I've been in, they'd not been touched. I had enjoyed the first book of Jillian's other series about Scotland Yard. I picked up The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter for review from the author and started it the other night and realized I needed to read the first two to figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:08 pm 

I'm reading Nalini Singh's Heart of Obsidian.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmeliasArmoire ... p_redirect

"You have more books than a library" -my nephew.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:55 pm 

Happy Labor Day to all! I always consider this the end of Sumer and I'm ready to transition to Fall and hopefully get back to some good weather.

I'm reading "Touch & Go" by Lisa Gardner. Always enjoy her books. Next I may read "The Kill" by David Baldacci since I have it from the library.

Kyle, hope everything goes well on your outing. Sounds like everyone has something special going on. I plan to just kick back and relax - had a bunch of company this month so I'm reading for some down time.

Dani

"Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on." Samuel Butler, English poet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 pm 

muffin wrote:
Kyle, I 've had the first two books for a while but with the serious reading slump I've been in, they'd not been touched. I had enjoyed the first book of Jillian's other series about Scotland Yard. I picked up The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter for review from the author and started it the other night and realized I needed to read the first two to figure out what's going on.

The books definitely build on each other. I don't think you can possibly read just one and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:14 pm 

I am reading Alone in the Dark by Elaine Coffman and The Road to Serfdom, a non-fiction. I am in a slump because there isn't anything new that appeals to me. Thankfully, I think Sandra Brown's new one is out in September. Her books are still good even though they don't have as much romance as her older RS.

Wooooooo Pigs! Soooooieee! Razorbacks!
Go Hogs!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:30 pm 

Busy weekend ahead. DS is coming home from his trip to NOLA and I look forward to seeing how much he enjoyed it.

I just started reading The Last Kiss Goodbye by Karen Robards and I thought I had read it before -- it's a sequel to the last book and I think perhaps I have already read the first chapter. After that I have The Hero by Robyn Carr and Biting Bad by Chloe Neill. I probably won't get to those two though.

I can't believe it's September! Where did the summer go? I had such plans and didn't do anything! I think my reunion set everything back so now I'm going to have to get busy to get everything done (painting, etc.) before the holidays. They'll be here before you know it. Then that long gray winter -- I'm starting to depress myself so I'd better shut up.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:21 pm 

I'm in a pretty big slump. Audiobooks are saving me right now, because I just can't seem to find time to read much, but I can listen.

I'm going to finish listening to The Hunger Games this weekend. I tried to read the book and hated it, but I love this audiobook.

I've been reading Submerged by Dani Pettrey. It's good, but I just don't feel like reading.

I've been going through some pretty rough times right now - I won't bore you with the details - suffice it to say I'm hoping they - and my reading slump - are over soon.

Not much going on this weekend. I'm sure I'll be working some, sleeping, cleaning the house...but I probably won't be reading. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:24 pm 

I can't believe it's Labor Day weekend already. I swear we just had the 4th of July. Before we know it, it'll be Christmas. Anyway, it's that time of year for my family. Sauce making time. On Saturday my parents will be going to a farm to get the tomatoes. We have to get the jars, lids, pots, strainer, among other things, ready. Although, I won't be able to help them with the actual sauce making. Instead, I'll be doing the grocery shopping for the BBQ we'll be having on Labor Day.

I've been on a Nicole Jordan binge. I've read the whole Notorious Series: The Seduction, The Passion, Desire, Ecstasy and The Prince of Pleasure. Other than The Passion, they are all keepers. TP had such a wishy washy h, that I couldn't enjoy it. I also read To Romance A Charming Rogue, To Tame a Dangerous Lord and To Desire a Wicked Duke from the Courtship Wars Series. They are keepers. I also read Lover Be Mine from the Legendary Lovers Series. Another keeper. Last night from Abe books I ordered Lord of Seduction and Wicked Fantasy from the Paradise Series. I keep telling myself no new authors, but some of my old faves have disappointed me lately, so I'm finding replacements for them.
I also read Baby, Don't go by Susan Andersen. I liked it.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

ETA: I ordered four more NJ books: Fever Dreams, The Warrior, The Lover and Touch Me With Fire.

Last edited by brwneyedbeauty on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:31 pm 

Right now I'm sitting with a heating pad on my back. I twisted wrong and the muscle seized up. I'm hoping it will feel better by tomorrow.

This week I read a novella called Uncharted by Tracey Garvis Graves. It's the follow-up to On the Island and was very good. After that one I read Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt. I haven't been very lucky at picking my historical romances lately, but I really liked this one. Now I'm reading Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones. Good so far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:40 pm 

had a lot of reading time this week and finished Jennifer Estep's "Heart of Venom" and Robyn Carr's "The Hero". Next up is Jayne Krentz's "Deception Cove".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 pm 

I loved Deception Cove. The heroine's name was Alice and I thought the plot to save the island was exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:23 pm 

Can't believe tomorrow is September 1! Where did summer go? I will admit, mine has totally gotten away from me with my dad and his illness, so I will look forward to a nice fall.

I finished Susan Mallery's Three Little Words, and started the new Linda Lael Miller book. Love her Parable series, and at the halfway point this is a very good addition to the series.

My son is home, so will shop today for some things for school that he needs, otherwise my plans are work tomorrow and read or knit. Chillaxin'!!

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:16 pm 

Alice in NM wrote:
I loved Deception Cove. The heroine's name was Alice and I thought the plot to save the island was exciting.

I really enjoyed it and finished it in one sitting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 pm 

Hello everyone.
This past week i read Mayhem at the Orient Express- # 1 in a new series called A League of Literary Ladies Mystery- by Kylie Logan. It was enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next. She also has another series beginning in October with Chili Con Carnage.
A few hours ago I finished Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay. WOW. Excellent. Plenty of twists and turns right to the last page. I plan to read all his mysteries.

Kyle- you're in my prayers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:04 pm 

Happy Labor Day, Everyone...

Hope this finds all of you doing what you want to do and where you want to be doing it... and safely, too!

I'm reading the last of the Sean Drummond series since I don't seem to have it on books-on-tape to listen to while working outside. Boo Hoo Hoo

That would be "Man in the Middle" by Brian Haig. Too bad I don't have that on audible because Scott Brick is probably my favorite male reader and it makes the land scraping go so much faster.

In other reading news... (LOL)

I did buy "The Arrangement" by Mary Balogh the other day so when this reading slump for romance ends, I'll be ready for it.

--Janie

So many books, so little time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:27 pm 

Oh my. Still reading the last Phaeton Black book and the hero has just given the heroine COCAINE. It doesn't say it directly but it says it in a round about way that cannot be mistaken. I don't think I've ever read a historical of any kind that alluded to anything like this. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:53 pm 

kylebmac wrote:
Oh my. Still reading the last Phaeton Black book and the hero has just given the heroine COCAINE. It doesn't say it directly but it says it in a round about way that cannot be mistaken. I don't think I've ever read a historical of any kind that alluded to anything like this. :shock:

I'm still in book 1...Phaeton is really very randy and naughty, isn't he?