Post subject: Small Town books
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am 

I know this has been discussed here before but it's been awhile. I love small towns. I'm not sure why but I do. Make that small town books -- I don't know about living in a really small town. I've been reading Brenda Novak's Whiskey Creek and loving it but before that, Sharon Sala's Rebel Ridge series, Robyn Carr's Thunder Point and Virgin River, Lori Wilde's Jubilee, Texas, Nora Roberts Boone, Lisa Kleypas Friday Harbor, etc. I'm debating starting Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor. I haven't read her before and I've got a million other books but those Amazon Daily Deals are tempting me again.

Anyone have a favorite "small town series"?

Post subject: Re: Small Town books
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:59 am 

Go ahead & give Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series a try. I really enjoyed them.

Another one I really like is Susan Mallery. Her Fool's Gold series (first one is Chasing Perfect) takes place in the small town of Fool's Gold, CA and she also has a series that takes place on Blackberry Island that's really good, too.

Sherryl Woods writes several series which take place in different small towns & small island communities.

And of course, Debbie Macomber has her long-running Cedar Cove series.

I can't believe I almost forgot Emily March's Eternity Springs series. Really good!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:42 am 

Give Debra Burroughs' Paradise Valley series a try. I have read the first book and really liked it. Emily Parker, a real estate agent, decides to take over her murdered husband's PI business and hilarity ensues, along with murder and a new-found love.

There are 5 books in the series (so far) and they are:

1. The Scent of Lies
2. The Heart of Lies
3. The Chain of Lies
4. The Pursuit of Lies
5. The Betrayal of Lies

HR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to print out both of your lists for future reference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:22 pm 

In my humble opinion, Jodi Thomas cannot write a bad story. So I would highly recommend her "Harmony" series, all about the lives of the folks in Harmony Texas. It is modern day - and just a wonderful series.

I found an author on my Kindle - Katherine Brooks - her "Bluegrass" series is very good as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:17 pm 

I just found a new author Lily Everett with her book Sanctuary Island. It is a new series and it starts with this small island town of Sanctuary Island. Two daughters come back to reunite with their mother who has been absent from their lives for 15 yrs. Of course it is a love story and the hero is wounded and getting over his scars.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 pm 

The Lily Everett (aka: Louisa Edwards) new series is great. She also had 3 novellas that preceded the first full length book.

I love the Susan Mallery and Jill Shalvis series. Having grown up in a small town, and recently spending a lot of time there, I do love small town stories. Also like Lori Wilde's books too.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:58 pm 

I always like Rachel Lee's Conard County series romance. She been writing people from this town of Conard for years. She is now into Conard County Next Generation. Most of the older books are Silhouette Series. Last few has been in Harlequin now. You can find a whole list of them in fantasticfiction.com.

I just finished reading Mariah Stewart's The Chesapeake Diaries. This town is called St. Dennis, Maryland with bunch of little shops with cute names I enjoyed them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:18 am 

I just discovered a new series by Susan Fox (Susan Lyons) set in the Cariboo Country in my province of British Columbia. The series is entitled 'Caribou Crossing' and the locale is a composite of small towns in the interior of the province.

There are 3 books so far, 2 of which have already been released:

'Caribou Crossing'
'Home On The Range'
'Gentle On My Mind' (to be released in September)

I have not read any of these yet, but they sound pretty good so you may want to check them out.

HR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm 

Diana Palmer's "Long, Tall, Texans" series is one of my favorites. But at this point maybe its not so small anymore. The series has been "running" since the 80's.

I also have read and loved several that have been mentioned here.

"CHANGING THE RULES" Available now
http://store.newconceptspublishing.com/rachel-rain/

rachelrain_romanceauthor@yahoo.com

http://romanceauthorrachelrain.blogspot.com/