Post subject: Help Me Out Ladies - Kristen Ashley books
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:43 pm 

These last couple of months have not been good ones, with my dad being so ill. I know in the past you have all talked about Kristen Ashley. She has a ton of books out, different series and such.

What is your favorite? Suspense level and heat level? I orderedMystery Man, which appears to be the first in the Dream Man series, which appears to spin off to the Chaos series. What about the Rock Chic series??

I need something really great to sink my teeth in to, and take my mind off everything else. Any recommendations welcome! I like my suspense on the high side with the heat on the really hot side!

Thanks for any info you can provide.

http://www.shelfari.com/o1518002717

Post subject: Re: Help Me Out Ladies - Kristen Ashley books
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:39 am 

ALL OF THEM!!!

Seriously they are all amazingly awesome. Forever grateful to Erika for pointing me in that direction...

Mystery Man is a good start (oooh Hawk), also the Rock Chick series, the final installment RC 8 is being released on the 13th.

So if you are starting with Mystery, then it's Wild Man, Law Man and then Motorcycle Man, which is the dream man series. Which flows to the CHAOS series.

Her books are hot! the relationships are insane and you so want to be the girl, no doubt.

Not a lot of angst (as KA says she hates drawn out breakups)

You'll laugh, you'll cry and you will forever re-read.

If you are on FB find the groups
https://www.facebook.com/groups/448121975276551/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/346598492128099/

they are so much fun, where do you think I spend all my time lately :lol: :lol: :lol:

These are a GREAT way to disappear, I always have one on the go (and I've read them ALL)

Her books are SO much value as they are LONG, but don't seem that way. Although the Chaos books and UnFinished hero series are somewhat shorter.

Sorry is my obsession showing...

I really hope you get sucked in, she is an awesome author. I am almost ruined for anything else nowdays.

Oh and don't ask me to pick a fave, depends on which one I am re-reading at the time.

I am not much for her Fantasyland or Three series books other than Mathilda (I loved that one), which many people didn't like. But I have read them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:34 am 

agree with Klass; I do sometimes think the clothing descriptions are a little too much but I love her characters.

Some say real people don't talk like that but (un)fortunately I know people who actually do :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 am 

I'm not a big fan of first person and I heard most of hers are written this way. However, after reading FSoG, the Beautiful books by Christina Laurens and the Blackstone Affair books...I'm getting over it bit by bit.

My real problem with first person is that typically you never know what's going on in everyone else's head. FSoG was like this. But the Beautiful and Blackstone books were written from both his and her POV alternating in the story and that I can live with.

So question is...does Kristen Ashley write like that? Are her books that are in first person ALL from only one person POV or does she shift around to the other characters ever?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am 

JaniceC wrote:
agree with Klass; I do sometimes think the clothing descriptions are a little too much but I love her characters.

Some say real people don't talk like that but (un)fortunately I know people who actually do :P

I'm glad I am not the only one put off by so much focus on the clothing in her books. I just don't care about every detail of clothing the characters are wearing unless it is somehow relevant to the story (Like she is wearing a bathing suit because she is at the beach). It felt like a lot of filler and I just started skimming over. And the makeup too. The books are unnecessarily long and could use an edit IMO.

I prefer fantasy and paranormal so I started with the Fantasyland trilogy. The world in the second book totally reminded me of Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen from the Game of Thrones series. I liked the series well enough to look up more of her books.

Next I read the first two from Ghost and Reincarnation series, this is where the clothing obsession started to annoy me so I stopped this series and moved to the first book in The Three (vampire) and got frustrated since there would have been practically no book if the hero just answered a few of the heroines questions. Lastly, I tried the first book in the Rock Chick series and that was it, I was done with this author. I don’t care for first person, TSTL heroines and I do not find guys that don’t answer questions sexy. 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:08 pm 

Thanks you guys for your candid opinions! I will start with Mystery Man and work my way through that series.

I do not mind first person POV, and read a review somewhere that POV was alternating from his to hers in many of the books. So I will give Mystery Man a try and see what I think. The good thing is they are all available in eBook, at a very reasonable price. And I did notice that most of them are quite long, 500+ pages.

Klass, I remember now how much you raved about her books. At least I thought it was Kristen Ashley! Haven't had enough time to look over reviews and such, so I appreciate everyone's honest input!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:14 pm 

It takes a hell of an author to pull off 1st person. Few can do that--I am thinking of Lisa Kleypas in her contemporary books--Sugar Daddy, etc.

I have read Knight by Kristen Ashley and really loved it. It is very erotic and edgy. My only quirk is that the hero doesn't have too much to say. I know men in general speak very little, but I would like to know his thoughts and feelings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:23 pm 

EAGLEGIRL47 wrote:
It takes a hell of an author to pull off 1st person. Few can do that--I am thinking of Lisa Kleypas in her contemporary books--Sugar Daddy, etc.

I have read Knight by Kristen Ashley and really loved it. It is very erotic and edgy. My only quirk is that the hero doesn't have too much to say. I know men in general speak very little, but I would like to know his thoughts and feelings.

Eaglegirl, I LOVED that Kleypas series. I just loaned it to a good friend yesterday. It was so well written you didn't even notice the POV.

I really don't need anymore books to read, but I sat down and went through my TBR list and not a darn thing jumped out at me! One thing I have noticed - and do not like - about many book reviews, the reviewers do not mention if the book is in first person. First person does not stop me from reading a book, but I know others who refuse to read a book written from that POV and wish reviewers would include that in their reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:57 pm 

Teri, instead of working when I should have been...I spent a great deal of time this morning going through my Nook to see what I had to read on it and what was coming up.

I noticed that there are several books by some of my favorite authors due in September that were NOT listed in my September issue of RT.

Plus someone else recommended a series of books by J Kenner that I got. I think they're in the same area as FSoG and the others. I find I like them. Like you, I have more than enough to read but sometimes buying and picking what I want is just as much fun! :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 pm 

To be honest KA, to me doesn't read like first person PoV, and she does switch up PoV which works really well.

I've read some PoV and they were bad. She does it REALLY well, that I forget it's from PoV... but I am bias because I really resonate with her writing style, near a point of being ruined for at lot of other authors... I've read some previous faves, and I am now going gah it's TOO sickly romantic, and the heroes I once thought Alpha, nah can;t compare to her guys... it's actually a little sad, to me she is that good at what she gives.

I also give her kudos to her hero PoV's, a lot of authors H's can sometimes come out sounding female (author dependant, as in I am sure a guy wouldn't say THAT!), hers total male, maybe too male and caveman like for some, but to me love 'em.