Post subject: JD Robb - In Death series - Question for fans
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 am 

I recently started the In Death series and am really into it - just love it. I am listening to them in order on audio (on loan from library) and see that my library doesn't have about 6 of them on either cd or mp3. So, it looks like I will have to either buy the Kindle versions which are about $10 each or buy the abridged versions. The abridged audio versions come packaged with 3 books (not necessarily all 3 are the ones I need but at least 1 is).

My question: should I go for the abridged audio collection? It's cheaper, about $15 on Amazon, and I'd get 3 books for that price but would I miss out on too much of the story going this route? I'd rather get the full unabridged versions, but that's too expensive.

My choice now is to get the Kindle book, complete, for $10, or the abridged version on cd (with 2 other books) for $15. Reading the books in print isn't an option for me.

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: JD Robb - In Death series - Question for fans
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:16 pm 

I've listened to some of the abridged versions. While they have the same great narrator and same story, you miss out on some of the small parts of the investigation and some funny moments that aren't crucial to the plot. Since I've read the books previously, it doesn't bother me to miss some of the little stuff because I'm just refreshing on the story. I don't know if I'd want to miss it the first time around though. I think I would go for the full audio version or just pick up the book and give it a read.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:56 pm 

I would not choose the abridged version either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm 

Unabridged all the way. Susan Ericksen is such a good narrator I'd hate to miss any part of the books.

I agree with the others.... you should purchase or borrow the books from the library instead if the cost is to high. Don't short change yourself for an abridged version.

Enjoy them all to the fullest. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 pm 

Thanks everyone for your comments. I kind of thought that the abridged audiobooks wouldn't be as great so I guess I'll be buying the Kindle books to read. I cannot miss a word about Eve, Roarke, Peabody or Mavis! Some of the things they say are so funny. :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 pm 

If your library doesn't have the ones you're looking for (and doesn't have a large area-wide borrowing option,)you might want to check ebay's half.com website before you buy. I don't know which ones you're looking for, but they have a number of her books (unabridged versions) on CD listed for $2 to $15. (Shipping is usually $3.99.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:07 pm 

Have you check the online libraries? Check with those first. Most Libraries have online partners. I use several different ones through my local Library.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 pm 

I have been listening to the audio books as well. I just love them and I would definitely recommend that you go with the unabridged versions - I wouldn't want to miss a thing!! Check ebay, and I have found a number of them on amazon.com for only around $10. I got the latest book for $10.16 and it's not out until August.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 am 

Some wonderful suggestions here, thank you all. I have decided to go for the unabridged audiobooks and failing that, the Kindle book is my back-up plan. I think I'd be getting a better deal anyway buying audio over a Kindle version. Since I've listened to all the books so far on audio, I may as well continue to do so, and I agree, Susan Ericksen is such a wonderful reader.

Illl check around for the best deals on the complete audio versions. Thanks so much, all!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:44 pm 

I have been reading this series since the first book. I love Nora Roberts and this is her at her best. Roarke is to die for and Eve is such a complex and interesting woman. Those books just keeps getting better and better. Oh, yeah I love her hate/love relationship with Sommerset.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 pm 

I just wanted to update everyone after you've offerred such helpful advice. I've ordered complete audiobook #7, Holiday in Death, from Books A Million as that is where I am stalled right now. There are about 6 more audiobooks that I will have to buy after this one out of the entire series.

i will probably order them from BaM, Amazon or Ebay depending on price, availability, shipping costs at these places. I am determined to listen to the series in order and loving the books so far.

Quick question about the series: I adore Peabody! She's my favorite semi-lead character. I know she is aiming to be a detective and with her brains and common sense, I know she will get it at some point. Will she then continue to be partnered with Eve throughout the series? I hope so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 am 

the relationship has evolved quite a bit through the series and yes Peabody continues as her partner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:23 pm 

funnybunny wrote:
I recently started the In Death series and am really into it - just love it. I am listening to them in order on audio (on loan from library) and see that my library doesn't have about 6 of them on either cd or mp3. .

You really should speak with a librarian at your library before you spend a lot of money. They may be linked to OCLC WorldCat (ILL) where you can get items sent to you from other libraries. Also, you may be able to submit a request for purchase and if it fits their requirements they may buy the rest of the CD' for the collection.

If you decide to purchase you can subscribe to Audible.com (owned by Amazon) and still listen to the books on audio. They have a monthly fee but have lots of special deals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:36 pm 

Hi Booksreader,

One of the library workers checked availabilityof the first audiobook I was looking for. It wasn't available in any of the nearby out-of-town libraries. I know about ILL but I didn't bother going that route because I didn't want to have to wait for it to get here.

I have in the past submitted purchase requests to the library. I know that if the library purchased these audios, it would take time for the items to get here and then more time for processing to be completed before they can go out on loan.

Anyway, I don't mind buying the audios since I only need 6 of them and can get them for great prices online. I really enjoy listening to the audios. I will get my money's worth since I will listen to them multiple times. I have already listened to RAPTURE IN DEATH three times and currently listening to NAKED IN DEATH for the second time.

That is excellent advice, though, for anyone who doesn't want to spend the money on audiobooks and who is more patient than I am - try interlibrary loans.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:03 pm 

Audible.com ladies they are cheaper then the whole package when you just buy the file. you can burn them to CD after downloading them. I have all the In Death series from there. I though have an Iphone I listen to them from. goodluck.
Sandra :D