Post subject: Cheryl Brooks Cat Star Chronicles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:46 pm 

Has anyone read this series? If so, what did you think?

I just read the first book, Slave, and thought it was a pretty good first novel. There were a few things I didn't like about it, but on the whole I'd rate it a 3.5-4.

The first book kind of reminded me of Lora Leigh's Breeds or Laurann Dohner's New Species books, but in space. The space aspect had a little of a Farscape/Firefly/Stargate feel to it, which I enjoyed.

In contrast, I read Linnea Sinclair's Games of Command and while it was ok I didn't enjoy it as much because it got too technical and the language was less fun (think more sci-fi and less Jayne Castle Harmony).

The language in this one was more of a mix. It had some terms that were obviously made up, but like Farscape had the translator bugs, this series has a general accepted language, which is pretty much English, as well as local dialects.

The series is also in first person, which is not a favorite of mine, but it didn't bother me in this case. Some first person novels tend to jerk me out of the story, but on the whole CB did really well.

Anyway, if you're a fan of these types of books I recommend giving it a try. I intend to purchase the remainder of the series to read.

Post subject: Re: Cheryl Brooks Cat Star Chronicles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm 

I have read 4 of them so far, not in order (1,2,5 & 7) and I found I enjoyed the later books much, much more. I don't like first person POV either! I started this series with book 5.

I love Farscape/Firefly/Stargate and I agree, they do kind of have that feel. I am always looking for more books in this genre.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm 

I've read & enjoyed them. I didn't buy them. I joined booksfree.com (netflix for books) six years ago which is where I found the first one. I've gotten the later ones in the series through my local library system. I also downloaded the first two of them for my Nook when they were .99 (B&N does this sometimes just before a new one comes out...I believe Amazon did this for the Kindle editions, too.) The ebook versions for Nook & Kindle are not currently discounted. If you haven't heard of bookbub.com, you might want to sign up for their email alerts when ebooks are being sold for $2.99 or less. When you sign up, you pick the type of ereader you have & the type of books you're interested in, and every day they send you an email with ebooks in your chosen categories that are on sale (sometimes for 1-day only) currently.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 pm 

I have read all the prior and am currently reading Wildcat.I consider them light, fun reads. Previous characters tend to show up and you get to see their lives. They actually play a part in the stories instead of just walk throughs like some authors do. Only the first book was in first person POV. I feel that the author has maintained the quality of the books since the first one which is also unusual in a series that lasts past three books.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 pm 

I'm really glad to hear such good things about the later books in the series. I hate it when an author starts out ok, builds, then drops off. I'm trying to read some other authors right now to see if I'm going to keep or cull their books, but I know I'll be getting back to these soon.