Post subject: Keowee Valley by Katherine Scott Crawford
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 pm 

This is a special book. I think it's a throwback to the "epic" type historical romances of the 70's. It begins in Charleston in the 1760's with Quincy McFadden leaving to negotiate a release of her cousin from the Indians. Quincy has "the sight" as does her cousin. This is the description from Amazon:

She journeyed into the wilderness to find a kidnapped relative. She stayed to build a new life filled with adventure, danger, and passion.

Spring, 1768. The Southern frontier is a treacherous wilderness inhabited by the powerful Cherokee people. In Charlestown, South Carolina, twenty-five-year-old Quincy MacFadden receives news from beyond the grave: her cousin, a man she'd believed long dead, is alive-held captive by the Shawnee Indians. Unmarried, bookish, and plagued by visions of the future, Quinn is a woman out of place . . . and this is the opportunity for which she's been longing.

Determined to save two lives, her cousin's and her own, Quinn travels the rugged Cherokee Path into the South Carolina Blue Ridge. But in order to rescue her cousin, Quinn must trust an enigmatic half-Cherokee tracker whose loyalties may lie elsewhere. As translator to the British army, Jack Wolf walks a perilous line between a King he hates and a homeland he loves.

When Jack is ordered to negotiate for Indian loyalty in the Revolution to come, the pair must decide: obey the Crown, or commit treason . . .

I adore the character of Jack, the hero. Quincy or Mac as Jack calls her is not as likeable to me because I think she's a little too modern in her thinking to make her believable as a frontier woman. Still, I can give a little creative license for the purpose of the story. There's a lot of history of the Cherokee and the Blue Ridge Mountains in the books and a glossary at the end helps (I didn't know it was there since I read it on my kindle). The author obviously did her research, although she didn't mention the rich mast of chestnuts which would have been used by the settlers for both fattening livestock and as a staple in their own diet -- but I'm probably one of the few that would have noticed that.

She's writing a sequel to it that I won't miss. While she shopped this book around, she wrote a Civil War novel which will probably be published before the sequel to this one. I'll read that one too.

If you like epic type historical romances, give this a try.

Benjamin Franklin